• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HARRIS TEETER IN RALEIGH POSTED NO GUNS

elixin77

imported post

I haven't had a chance to go to the Greenville HT yet.

The HT on Firetower and Charles isn't posted. I've been in there a few times, and haven't seen anything.

I don't know about the one on 14th and Charles, I haven't been there recently

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

The Harris Teeter on Skeet Club Rd. in High Point is now posted too. I've carried in this store a few times in the last couple of months.

I'm wondering what would be the best course of action that would most likely produce results.

1. Contact the GM via phone/email/personal visit

2. Email corporate

3. Call corporate

Am I correct in assuming that this "No weapons, concealed or otherwise"thing is not company policy?

RaleighCarry

imported post

SORRY TO INFORM EVERYONE HARRIS TEETER ON OBERLIN ROAD HAS RE-POSTED THE NO WEAPONS SIGNS ON BOTH ENTRANCE DOORS. I NO LONGER HAVE MONEY TO SPEND AT ANY STORE WHICH RESTRICTS/VIOLATES MY SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS.

OnemoreBlind

imported post

I sent the following in an email to Ruddic and Harris Teeter corporate.

"I recently noticed two of the Harris Teeter stores I frequent added a “No Weapons concealed or otherwise” sign on the entrance. I have shopped with Harris Teeter for years and the one in Raleigh at North Hills Mall is very close to my home. I will not be sacrificing my safety for the convenience of shopping closer to home.
Until the signs were posted my family would spend a minimum of $5,000.00 annually at your stores. I know that is an insignificant dollar amount to your company. However there are more than 290,000 concealed handgun permit holders in the state of North Carolina and over 130,000 in Virginia. I am making it my new hobby to inform these upstanding citizens that the Ruddick Corporation has seen fit to alert criminals that their employees and customers are unarmed.
I am confident that most Concealed Carriers and Open Carriers are like minded individuals and will demonstrate their dislike of your anti-gun policies with their wallet."

TexanInNCBGR

imported post

Harris Teeter in North Hills is still posted as of today. I have added my complaint to their already increasing volume of complaint emails. On their website they post " class="bodycopy"We are experiencing a very high volume of emails. We will respond as soon as we possibly can.
Thank you for your patience."

Gee I wonder why??

RaleighCarry

imported post

Here is the info one more time
[sup]
Folks, we must address this quickly before is spreads. I don't know of a single grocery store in the Raleigh, Durham area that restricts open carry. Please contact Harris Teeter officials as soon as possible and forcefully voice your displeasure at the recent posting. Let's boycot the chain. I've faxed a copy of the pictures to NRA headquarters.

Harris Teeter is owned by the Ruddick Corp which is based in Charlotte, NC

Thomas W. Dickson
Chairman, Chief Exec. Officer

Frederick J. Morganthall II President Harris Teeter

Ruddick Corp.
301 South Tryon Street
Suite 1800
Charlotte, NC28202
Phone: 704-372-5404
Fax: 704-372-6409
Web Site: http://www.ruddickcorp.com
[/sup]

TexanInNCBGR

imported post

I am also a member of USCCA (US Concealed Carry Association) and have posted about this on that board as well. Several members have sent in emails and phone calls to Harris Teeter from there as well.

I am going to send a message to the NRA. Maybe we can get their involvement as well?

billxdm

imported post

Last time I checked the HT's in Wilmington were not posted, well at least not yet, but that was about 2 weeks ago the last time I was in one.

Rargos

imported post

The Harris Teeter at Stonehenge off Creedmoor Rd. in North Raleigh just put "No weapons" signs up. I've shopped at this store almost every day for 15 years (the cashiers all know me) and am very disappointed.

I have to wonder if this is a reaction to the recent OC movement. While I'm a big RKBA supporter and CCW often, I do think OC intimidate/scares a lot of people and may be counterproductive.

Dreamer

imported post

Well, the story fro corporate is that a customer complained that people carrying made her uncomfortable...

I'm starting to think that perhaps this "uncomfortable customer" was a Brady Agent, fishing for a company that would cave to her irrational fears and demands.

The whole thing doesn't pass the sniff test...

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Well, the story fro corporate is that a customer complained that people carrying made her uncomfortable...

I'm starting to think that perhaps this "uncomfortable customer" was a Brady Agent, fishing for a company that would cave to her irrational fears and demands.

The whole thing doesn't pass the sniff test...

So ONE customer can complain about a perfectly legal activity, and that changes policy for every store in the state??? Yet many pro-2A folks complain of the change and the answer is "We'll take it under consideration."

I'm going to miss shopping at Harris Teeter. Especially their produce & their microbrew selection. If this is how they are going to be, I'll take my business to Lowes, Food Lion & Wal-Mart.The produce & microbrew selection that I love at HT can also be found at Lowes.

Dreamer

imported post

Well, The word I got from Corporate was they got "complaints". So it's probably more than one. But I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a Brady op.

Unfortunately, HT doesn't have a spine like Starbucks. Apparently they are more concerned with appeasing their Constitution-hating clientele than selling groceries...

Like I said, I'm taking my "gourmet grocery" shopping to Fresh Markets in the future--the one here in Greenville has been COMPLETELY cool with OC, and most of the patrols don't even give me a second glance...

I'm going to miss HT--they hav great produce, an awesome deli, and the best beer and wine selection in the area. But I won't miss them for long. If they view their law-abiding customers with such distrust and disdain that they won't allow them to carry in their stores, then that isn't the sort of business I want to be connected with anyway. I'll go to a store where they actually value my business, trust their law-abiding customers to behave themselves, and aren't out to promote some sort of corporate-sponsored social engineering.

Rargos

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
But I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a Brady op.
I doubt that. The simple fact is that most non-gun-owners (and even some gun-owners) are uncomfortable around firearms. I've taught many people how to shoot and many of them act as if they were touching a poisonous snake the first time they actually hold a firearm (something they quickly get over).

There are times when people are okay with open carry -- after Hurricane Fran hit central NC I saw quite a few people openly carrying (mostly on their property though). But generally speaking : guns scare people.

If someone were openly carrying in my Harris Teeter (North Raleigh), I would be very surprised if someone DIDN'T say something to management or even call the cops. Maybe open carry isn't such an eyebrow-raiser in some states, butin a suburban, upper-middle class supermarket it would definitely create a reaction.

opencarry2a

imported post

Howdy! I can't emphasize how terribly important it is to swing into action by writing, e-mailing and calling both Ruddick Corp. and Harris Teeter to express your anger regarding the recent posting of signs prohibiting the lawful carrying of firearms into these stores.

If we fail to address this immediately the next to post signs will be Kroger, Food,Lion, Lowes Food, Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, Target and so on.

Please take the time to express your outrage at those to are attempting to limit our second amendment rights NOW or forever lose that right !

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

opencarry2a wrote:
Howdy! I can't emphasize how terribly important it is to swing into action by writing, e-mailing and calling both Ruddick Corp. and Harris Teeter to express your anger regarding the recent posting of signs prohibiting the lawful carrying of firearms into these stores.

If we fail to address this immediately the next to post signs will be Kroger, Food,Lion, Lowes Food, Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, Target and so on.

Please take the time to express your outrage at those to are attempting to limit our second amendment rights NOW or forever lose that right !
Trolling are we or just driving by?

Yata hey

jerz_subbie

imported post

All 3 HT's in the UNCC area are now posted :X

I checked 3 locations today:
Mallard Creek & WT Harris
Mallard Creek & Mallard Creek Church
University/49

I did barrage them with about 6 emails: one to each store, one to corporate, one to investor relations, and hit their facebook page. Hopefully we can make enough of an impact to get them to simply follow local laws like Starbucks.