• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HARRIS TEETER IN RALEIGH POSTED NO GUNS

RaleighCarry

imported post

This afternoon I noticed a "No guns concealed or otherwise" sign posted at the Harris Teeter Grocery Store on Oberlin Road in Raleigh. I and three friends have OC'ed at this store for years.
Has anyone else seen no oc'ing in other Harris Teeter stores?

elixin77

imported post

I generally avoid Harris Teeter because of their prices, but the few times I have gone to HT in Greenville, I have been open carrying. I stopped at the doors near where I live, and the only 'No' sign I saw was No Smoking.

I suggest you contact HQ and ask them what their corporate policy is, and mention that the store in Raleigh is/is not following that policy

TheFreeman

imported post

Hmmmmm.... I'll have to check the one down the road from me. I CC in there all the time and never remember having seen a circle-slash sign in their entry doors.

SMW

imported post

I go in there every now and then and I haven't noticed anything but since I'm coming from campus I can't carry anyway so I don't look as hard.

N_R_A_55

imported post

I made a point of stoppingby Harris Teeter on Oberlin road this morning and sure enough it's posted. http://load.hostphotofree.com/ac5eab8e09d47eb9cd0b64deb561f741/Harris%20Teeter%20Oberlin%20Road%20008.JPG

http://load.hostphotofree.com/ac5eab8e09d47eb9cd0b64deb561f741/Harris%20Teeter%20Oberlin%20Road%20007.JPG

Folks, we must address this quickly before is spreads. I don't know of a single grocery store in the Raleigh, Durham area that restricts open carry. Please contact Harris Teeter officials as soon as possible and forcefully voice your displeasure at the recent posting. Let's boycot the chain. I've faxed a copy of the pictures to NRA headquarters.

Harris Teeter is owned by the Ruddick Corp which is based in Charlotte, NC

Thomas W. Dickson
Chairman, Chief Exec. Officer

Frederick J. Morganthall II President Harris Teeter

Ruddick Corp.
301 South Tryon Street
Suite 1800
Charlotte, NC28202
Phone: 704-372-5404
Fax: 704-372-6409
Web Site: http://www.ruddickcorp.com

TheFreeman

imported post

I'll make it a point to stop in at my local Harris Teeter and check their doors this afternoon. I'm in Concord, so I don't know if it has made it this way yet.

Also, notice the NC. Gen. Stat. 14-415.10 in the lower right hand corner.

Dreamer

imported post

I occasionally shop at the Harris Teeter in Greenville, and when we visit Fayetteville, we sometimes go to the HT there as well. I don't ever remember seeing any "no guns" signs at either store, but it's been a while.

I'll be in Greenville Tuesday or Wednesday this week, and I'll make a point to stop by HT and check to see if they've posted a sign. My sweetie is going to be in Fayetteville this weekend visiting her sister, so I'll ask her to check the HT in Fayetteville too.

None of the grocery stores that I know of in this area are posted though. Every Food Lion is 2A-friendly. WalMart, of course, is pro 2A. Even the ultra-yuppie Fresh Market isn't posted, and I OC there once a month or so, and have never had a single issue. The Piggly Wiggly here in Washington isn't posted, but I rarely shop there because their meat department and their produce aren't nearly as good as the other stores.

I'll report back later this week on Harris Teeters in my area...

TheFreeman

imported post

I didn't spot a circle-slash sign on the HT near work off Popalar Tent Rd and Harris. I'll have to check the one near the house tonight if I can remember to swing by.

RegalNC

imported post

TheFreeman wrote:
I didn't spot a circle-slash sign on the HT near work off Popalar Tent Rd and Harris. I'll have to check the one near the house tonight if I can remember to swing by.
FYI, the signage isn't required to be the circle-slash version. All that is required is A sign be posted. Text or image doesn't matter.

Smith45acp

imported post

RegalNC wrote:
TheFreeman wrote:
FYI, the signage isn't required to be the circle-slash version. All that is required is A sign be posted. Text or image doesn't matter.
Don't some other states regulate signage requirements? I wish NC did. Not to give stores a hard time about their right to choose but I have truly missed a marked location at least once that I know of. There is an Exxon in Cary at the corner of Maynard and Chapel Hill rd that is marked, but the sign gets covered up by the automatic sliding glass door frame as you approach! I oc'ed in there and the clerk told me AFTER he rung me up that I couldn't bring a firearm back, concealed or otherwise. I kindly told him he had lost my business. Since there was no one else there I asked his personal opinion on the subject and he said he wholeheartedly agreed with the policy because, "Man some people are crazy, how do I know some loose cannon isn't going to be the one toting a gun in here". I just said yeah, crazy loose cannons are always respectful of store policy right...

I don't even shop at that particular HT but will voice my displeasure to whoever will take my calls!

RegalNC

imported post

Smith45acp wrote:
RegalNC wrote:
TheFreeman wrote:
Don't some other states regulate signage requirements? I wish NC did. Not to give stores a hard time about their right to choose but I have truly missed a marked location at least once that I know of. There is an Exxon in Cary at the corner of Maynard and Chapel Hill rd that is marked, but the sign gets covered up by the automatic sliding glass door frame as you approach! I oc'ed in there and the clerk told me AFTER he rung me up that I couldn't bring a firearm back, concealed or otherwise. I kindly told him he had lost my business. Since there was no one else there I asked his personal opinion on the subject and he said he wholeheartedly agreed with the policy because, "Man some people are crazy, how do I know some loose cannon isn't going to be the one toting a gun in here". I just said yeah, crazy loose cannons are always respectful of store policy right...

I don't even shop at that particular HT but will voice my displeasure to whoever will take my calls!
Correct! Some states have specific signage requirements, but not NC. I prefer specific requirements myself.

RaleighCarry

Dreamer

imported post

Hip Hip Horray!!!

Great job guys. It's good to see that there are still corporations that respect our Rights, and that when local rogue managers go against corporate policy, they are quickly reigned in by their bosses...

I was really worried for a while there. Harris Teeter has an awesome wine department, and their meat counter is one of the best in the area. And their produce is some of the best you'll find outside the local farmer's market.

I'll be sure to stop by the HT in Greenville this weekend, and give them my weekly grocery business.

OnemoreBlind

imported post

The Harris Teeter at North Hills had the no weapons sign posted on the front doors this past weekend. Tonight I called up there before going shopping and "Kimberly" stated that the signs were still there. I thanked her for looking and then went shopping at Food Lion.

RaleighCarry

imported post

Thanks for the info. Apparently Harris Teeter is cautiously adding signs a few at a time to gauge feedback .

Dreamer

imported post

My brother-in-law lives in Fayetteville, and I had him check this weekend at the Teeter there. He said he didn't see any "no guns" signs.

I haven't had a chance to go to the Greenville HT yet. Perhaps I'll get down there early this week, and can file a report...