• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in Australia?

randian

It does not surprise me that women are getting more violent. First, women have an expectation that they can attack men and not suffer retaliation. Second, while I can't say what the arrest/conviction/sentencing stats are in AUS, in the US women are less likely to be arrested, less likely to be charged, if charged less likely to be convicted, and if convicted get shorter sentences (if they are given a prison sentence at all). Basically, women have a lower ultimate cost of committing violence, so it's not surprising they are more often engaging in it.

Haz.

Serious breach of the NSW Police firearms registry.

Compulsory registration fo firearms is just another government blunder which has increased the incidence of breakins and firearms robbery through out Austraila.

Blunder spreads firearms details by: By Alicia Wood, Political Reporter From: The Daily Telegraph August 09, 2012 12:00AM
gun licence details of more than 50 security guards were mistakenly sent to more than a dozen companies in a serious breach of the NSW Police firearms registry.
The state government has ordered an investigation into how 18 security firms "inadvertently" received the details in an Excel spreadsheet.

The Daily Telegraph understands the companies were meant to be sent blank sheets.

But the information contained the gun licence details of guards employed by Chubb.

A police spokesman said the list circulated was one Chubb provided several years ago. It contained the address, date of birth, and details of the security and firearms licences held by the 51 guards.

Police Minister Michael Gallacher has asked Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione to investigate the release of information held by the registry.

"I raised this as a serious concern with the Commissioner and have asked him to report back with further information concerning the security at the firearms registry," the minister said.

"We consider the security of the information held by the registry to be of the utmost importance."

Assistant Commissioner Alan Clarke said it was a human error and he was "absolutely" satisfied the NSW gun registry had not been otherwise compromised.

"This instance related to information being circulated only amongst security companies, which already deal with this information," Mr Clarke said.

The NSW Police spokesman said: "Each person on the list has been contacted by telephone or advised in writing of the situation.

"Additionally, the Privacy Commissioner was notified as to what occurred and will be kept informed.

"(The force) is satisfied that this was a one-off incident as a result of human error with no system implications and is confident that firearms security has not been compromised."

The revelation of the release of gun licence details comes after weeks of denials by senior police that the registry had been compromised.

The Daily Telegraph has revealed more than 300 firearms have been stolen from licensed owners in the past five months.

Yesterday police revealed a Sydney man was tied up, blindfolded and shot during a robbery six weeks ago in which 22 legally owned handguns - including several Glocks - were stolen from safes at his home.However, Detective Superintendent Ken Finch, head of the firearms and organised crime squad said yesterday: "We have no evidence to suggest there is any link to the registry and these robberies."

<http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/blunder-spreads-firearms-details/story-e6freuy9-1226446217031>

Haz.

TWO balaclava-clad drug users wielding a sawn-off shotgun.

Lucky to be alive!

GABRIEL WINGATE-PEARSE
09 Aug, 2012 04:00 AM
TWO balaclava-clad drug users who entered the Barnsley home of Bradley and Kenneth Wells wielding a sawn-off shotgun got more than they bargained for, police alleged.
Police said Michelle Rose Sullivan, 32, and Linton Green, 26, went into the father’s and son’s home on the morning of May 25 last year.

They found Kenneth Wells, 26, in his bedroom where Ms Sullivan allegedly stood over him in an ‘‘aggressive manner’’ while Mr Green raised the gun at his head.

Police said they demanded money and drugs, and Mr Wells took $105 from his pocket and threw it onto the bed.

But when Ms Sullivan tried to grab Mr Wells, he put her in a headlock and took hold of the gun with his other hand, fighting them both, police said.

The details are in a brief of evidence tendered against Ms Sullivan in Newcastle Local Court yesterday.

Ms Sullivan has been committed to trial in the district court on three charges: robbery armed with an offensive weapon causing grievous bodily harm, shoot at with intent to murder, and aggravated break and enter.

Mr Green is facing the same charges, which are still progressing in the local court.

Neither has entered pleas.

In the police statement of facts against Ms Sullivan they alleged that a fight ensued during which two shots were fired, one hitting the wall and the other hitting Mr Wells in the groin.

The altercation allegedly continued down the hallway outside the bedroom of Bradley Wells, 46, an amputee who swung out of his bedroom on one leg.

It is alleged the gun was pointed at him and he was shot in the chest.

The statement said Kenneth Wells then grabbed Mr Green and they fell to the floor, thrashing about before Mr Wells ran off to a third bedroom and escaped out of a window.

According to a witness, Mr Green later said he ‘‘cracked him one’’ but that he ‘‘put up a mad fight’’.

The couple were arrested in Queensland some months later but were living at Achilles Street, Nelson Bay, at the time.

<http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/crime-and-law/police-allege-balaclavaclad-drug-users-in-barnsley-shooting/2646659.aspx>

Haz.

It does not surprise me that women are getting more violent. First, women have an expectation that they can attack men and not suffer retaliation. Second, while I can't say what the arrest/conviction/sentencing stats are in AUS, in the US women are less likely to be arrested, less likely to be charged, if charged less likely to be convicted, and if convicted get shorter sentences (if they are given a prison sentence at all). Basically, women have a lower ultimate cost of committing violence, so it's not surprising they are more often engaging in it.

Hi 'randian.'

I was in a cafe in Sydney years ago with my wife when a woman ran in screaming please help me! A man obviuosly drunk, followed her in and began bashing and punching her. I grabbed the man and held him securley telling the cafe owner to call the police. The woman for some reason immediately began abusing then hitting me and telling me to let her man go?? I took the guy outside and released him. The woman, screaming and arguing with her guy walked down the street and were lost in the crowd. From that day on, I mind my own business and do not get involved.

Haz.

Sex attackers, Five weeks of fear.

Tell us - are you scared to walk alone around Adelaide? What steps have you taken to protect yourself?
Well, one things for sure, Adelaide women, in fact no person, male or female can arm themselves with a hand gun, mace, or taser for self defence? Police are armed, security gards are armed. politicians are armed or have armed security, but the general public are left defenceless as these statistics clearly show!

Haz.

Adelaide women take action against male predators are series of sex attacks by:
Investigations Editor Bryan Littlely From:
The Advertiser September 13, 2012
10:00PM

•Five weeks of fear - see a list of all the attacks below

•Tell us - are you scared to walk alone around Adelaide? What steps have you taken to protect yourself?

Girl, 13, indecently assaulted on bus Adelaide Now, 2 days ago
Repeat offender 'tried to abduct elderly woman' Adelaide Now, 21 Aug 2012
Elderly man wanted for indecent assault Adelaide Now, 26 Jul 2012
Man in netball skirt flashes women Adelaide Now, 13 Jul 2012
Watch out for a cross-dressing flasher Adelaide Now, 8 Jul 2012

WOMEN are taking charge of their own safety as police hunt dozens of men wanted for sex attacks and abduction attempts across Adelaide.
Self-defence classes for women have expanded and Women's and Children's Hospital nurses are walking to North Adelaide street carparks in large groups when finishing shifts at night for protection.
The sex attacks have led to calls for improved suburban street lighting and a widening of the city's CCTV network.
More than 60 women aged between 16 and 70 enrolled in a self-defence class at St Agnes within days of an assault on an elderly woman in the area last month.
Now, police have republished photofit images of suspects wanted for 16 sex assaults and attempted abductions over the past three years as they search for more leads on the crimes.
The attacks include the assault of a 23-year-old woman in North Adelaide last week.
Sex Crimes Investigations Branch detectives returned to O'Connell St and Gover St, North Adelaide, near the scene of last week's attack, on Wednesday night to gather more evidence and survey members of the public.
About half a dozen detectives walked the streets and spoke to members of the public in pubs and shops in their bid to gather extra information needed to catch the offender.
"This was an opportunity for us to revisit the area, to view the environment at the time of the offence and to double and triple check all aspects of the investigation," SCIB Officer-in-Charge Detective Superintendent Steve Ryan said.
"It provided an additional opportunity to speak to people who may have been in the area last week and have not been spoken to. It gives us a chance to test and develop theories about the crime."

Sex attackers

A series of police Identikit images of men police say are responsible for some of the sex attacks in Adelaide over the past two years. Source: adelaidenow

Det-Supt Ryan said there had been a positive response to Crime Stoppers regarding the sexual assault.
The Gover St attacker is included in the dozen photokits of unidentified men wanted by police for crimes ranging from sex assaults of women aged up to 70 to the attempted abductions of primary school girls.
The scenes of the attacks range from popular night entertainment strips to daylight attacks in parks and police say there are no particular "hot spots" for the attacks.
In the past six years, there have been at least six serious sex assaults in North Adelaide and Women's and Children's Hospital nurses have implemented their own security plan to more safely walk to their cars.
Nurses from the different wards park together in pre-planned locations so they can return to their vehicles more safely together despite the streets often being poorly lit.
Nursing and Midwifery Federation state secretary Elizabeth Dabars said nurses from the hospital had made approaches to the Adelaide Oval developers and council for improved safe avenues - featuring improved lighting and CCTV - for staff.
Despite the concerns, and calls from North Adelaide residents for trees in the area to be trimmed and lighting improvements, the city's West End remains the priority for Adelaide City Council in improving public lighting.
The Council has put aside only $350,000, out of $1.85 million in its 2012/13 budget to improve lighting, to install lights on four main roads in North Adelaide - Lefevre Tce, Montefiore Rd and Melbourne and O'Connell streets.
There are more than 60 Council-owned and SA Police-monitored CCTV cameras across the CBD, mainly in entertainment and shopping areas. There are no plans for additional CCTV cameras for North Adelaide.
The men in the photofit images are suspects in a total of 16 separated sex attacks since 2009.
In the past two months, police have appealed for public help and information in a bid to catch offenders from 26 sex assaults, indecent assaults and attempted abductions.
Fernwood Fitness Centre, St Agnes, held a self-defence course only two days before an attempted abduction of a 70-year-old woman in the area and has since been flooded with inquiries from women wanting to join classes with a martial arts instructor.
FIVE WEEKS OF FEAR
Aug 10, 7pm City West Campus of UniSA, North Terrace - A man described as Caucasian, aged early 40s, behaved in an indecent manner in the library.
Aug 13, 1pm Colonnades Shopping centre, Noarlunga Centre - A man described as Caucasian, in 40s , indecent behaviour towards a nine-year-old boy in the men's toilets.
Aug 15, 1.20pm Adams Rd, Craigmore - A man described as Caucasian, aged 20 to 40, attempted abduction of a nine-year-old girl at an oval.
Aug 16, 9am Jetty Rd, Glenelg - A man described as Indian in appearance, about mid-40s, behaved indecently in stores.
Aug 16 western suburbs - seven women and girls approached by a man, aged between 20 and 40. Some of the victims were sexually assaulted.
8am - Eighth Avenue, Woodville Gardens
8.30am - Essex St, Mansfield Park.
8.55am - Regency Park TAFE.
9.05am - Regency Park TAFE.
11.30am - Park St, Woodville Park
12.30pm - Park St, Woodville North. The man was seen driving a stolen blue station wagon registration VOK-355 which was later found by police.
2.15pm - Regency Road, Croydon Park.
Aug 17 - Medika Boulevard, Mansfield Park. Another attack linked to the man, or men, from previous day's attacks.
19 Aug, 7am St Agnes - A man described as Caucasian and in his late 20s, attempted to abduct a 70-year-old woman on Kennedy St. An Elizabeth man, 27, has been charged.
Aug 19, night near Cudmore Tce, Toorak Gardens - A man described as Indian in appearance, aged about 35, exposed himself to two women who were walking on the northern side of Greenhill Rd.
Aug 19, 4.40pm Phillis St, Maylands - A man described as being 40-50 years of age, exposed himself to a girl. The man was seen driving off in a red car.
Aug 20, 9.30-10am Menzies Cres, Prospect - A man described as dark-skinned and wearing a multi-coloured top assaulted a four-year-old girl in a park.
Aug 22 A Blackwood man, 21, was arrested by Elizabeth CIB detectives and charged with assault of a teenage girl at Salisbury earlier in the month.
Aug 22, 3.30pm East Tce, Henley Beach - A man described as having a potbelly, with grey hair behaved in an indecent manner inside a small red car.
Aug 22, 8.45pm Baptist Church Hall, Trimmer Pde, Seaton - A man described as Caucasian, aged in his late 20s to 30s, behaved indecently in the foyer.
Aug 28, 4.50pm Drage Reserve, Felixstow - A man described as being in his mid-50s, exposed himself to a 17-year-old youth at the toilet facilities. The man was seen getting out of a red car.
Aug 29, 3pm-4.45pm Langman Grove, Felixstow - A man described as being 30 years of age, approached two young children then ran away.
Aug 31, 9.50am Kilburn - A man described as being of Aboriginal appearance, flashed a woman who was walking along the footpath on Dee Ave.
Sept 4, 6.34pm Port Noarlunga South - A man described as being of Caucasian appearance, aged 17-18, behaved indecently in the backyard of a young woman's house.
Sept 4 Main North Rd - A man described as being of Caucasian appearance, assaulted a 13-year-old girl on a Main North Rd bus.
Sep 5 Salisbury North - A man, 54, from Salisbury North was arrested and charged with indecent behaviour over an incident at Hollywood Plaza, Salisbury North, on Aug 31.
Sept 5, midnight Gover St, North Adelaide - A man, described as in his 30s, with shaven head, sexually assaulted a woman, 23, in the street.

Link:
<http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/adelaide-women-take-action-against-male-predators-are-series-of-sex-attacks/story-e6frea83-1226473773266>

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I found this to be a rather dubious claim:

"The sex attacks have led to calls for improved suburban street lighting and a widening of the city's CCTV network."

What are street lights and cameras going to do to stop a crime? Have people in Australia become so dependant on the state that they have forgotten how to properly protect themselves? The only thing that will stop crime is someone who has the tools that are capable of doing so. If you are not armed, you are bait. When will the good people of Australia wake up and realize they are the only ones who can protect themselves?

Haz.

I found this to be a rather dubious claim:

"The sex attacks have led to calls for improved suburban street lighting and a widening of the city's CCTV network."

What are street lights and cameras going to do to stop a crime? Have people in Australia become so dependant on the state that they have forgotten how to properly protect themselves? The only thing that will stop crime is someone who has the tools that are capable of doing so. If you are not armed, you are bait. When will the good people of Australia wake up and realize they are the only ones who can protect themselves?

Hi KYGlockster.

I ask, who's calling for improved street lighting and widening of the cities CCTV network? The report even states that many attacks are occuring in daylight hours in public parks and against school girls! We in Australia are so pathetic regarding our own self protection it makes me sick just thinking about it and when reading the many stories just like this! I was recently abused in the most hostile and filthy manner on an Australian hunting board because I cut and past news articles just like this one and place them in the politics and a current affairs thread trying to make people aware of our pathetic no armed self defence allowed, laws? When I rigerously defended my stance, I was banned for a few days?

Cheers, Haz.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Hi KYGlockster.

I ask, who's calling for improved street lighting and widening of the cities CCTV network? The report even states that many attacks are occuring in daylight hours in public parks and against school girls! We in Australia are so pathetic regarding our own self protection it makes me sick just thinking about it and when reading the many stories just like this! I was recently abused in the most hostile and filthy manner on an Australian hunting board because I cut and past news articles just like this one and place them in the politics and a current affairs thread trying to make people aware of our pathetic no armed self defence allowed, laws? When I rigerously defended my stance, I was banned for a few days?

Cheers, Haz.

That is rather absurd. What is frightening is this is happening all over the World, and Australia is a good example of what registration will lead to. Not only have you lost your right to bear arms, you have also lost your right to protect yourself with them. I always thought the people of Australia were more like Americans, and we were more like Australians than the people of any other country, and the fact that the government [Australian] has done such vast destruction to your rights is disconcerting. It is people like you that bring about change, and I appreciate you fighting for what is right. Surely people are slowly waking up, even if it is only one person a day, or week, or even a month. Just remember that the greatest changes are always brought about by very few, and keep fighting the oppressive Australian government. Have you ever been to the United States, or I guess I should say one of the free states of the United States? I live in Kentucky and I believe you would thoroughly enjoy it here.

Last edited:

Haz.

That is rather absurd. What is frightening is this is happening all over the World, and Australia is a good example of what registration will lead to. Not only have you lost your right to bear arms, you have also lost your right to protect yourself with them. I always thought the people of Australia were more like Americans, and we were more like Australians than the people of any other country, and the fact that the government [Australian] has done such vast destruction to your rights is disconcerting. It is people like you that bring about change, and I appreciate you fighting for what is right. Surely people are slowly waking up, even if it is only one person a day, or week, or even a month. Just remember that the greatest changes are always brought about by very few, and keep fighting the oppressive Australian government. Have you ever been to the United States, or I guess I should say one of the free states of the United States? I live in Kentucky and I believe you would thoroughly enjoy it here.

Hi KYGlockster, mate.
Thank you foryour encouragement and support.
I would dearly love to move to the USA especially a state like Kentucky. Maybe before I get much older, I will do just that.
I assume you may have heard of the Muslim protests here in Sydney. I am told these pictures went viral world wild. Muslim men violently protesting, police injured and sent to hospital, streets blocked as violence spread throughout the city! Little Muslim children carrying plackards statig ; "behead all who insult the prophet."
Their mother gleefully taking photos of her little protesting 5 year old??

Well the very Australian hunting forum which I have been posting news stories, in the politics and a current affairs thread, and from which I was banned for a time because of this, posts such as; "Muslim man openly rapes girl on Sydney station and is ignored by bystanders," Muslim gang tells girls, "We will now rape you Leb style," and the local Amim defending these rapists states; "These girls were raw meat thrown to dogs because of their dress," (Western dress by the way, no different to womens dress in America). Police stating, "Drive by shooting are middle east and Aian gang related,"

Well the very guys who were calling me a racist troll who had no idea and never posted hunting stories, Of which I could by the hundreds over my lifetime of hunting, are now screaming these are violent racist pigs, who should be immediately transported!!!!!!!! and other such posts!

What hope have genuine firearm owners got in trying to fight the good fight?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Hi KYGlockster, mate.
Thank you foryour encouragement and support.
I would dearly love to move to the USA especially a state like Kentucky. Maybe before I get much older, I will do just that.
I assume you may have heard of the Muslim protests here in Sydney. I am told these pictures went viral world wild. Muslim men violently protesting, police injured and sent to hospital, streets blocked as violence spread throughout the city! Little Muslim children carrying plackards statig ; "behead all who insult the prophet."
Their mother gleefully taking photos of her little protesting 5 year old??

Well the very Australian hunting forum which I have been posting news stories, in the politics and a current affairs thread, and from which I was banned for a time because of this, posts such as; "Muslim man openly rapes girl on Sydney station and is ignored by bystanders," Muslim gang tells girls, "We will now rape you Leb style," and the local Amim defending these rapists states; "These girls were raw meat thrown to dogs because of their dress," (Western dress by the way, no different to womens dress in America). Police stating, "Drive by shooting are middle east and Aian gang related,"

Well the very guys who were calling me a racist troll who had no idea and never posted hunting stories, Of which I could by the hundreds over my lifetime of hunting, are now screaming these are violent racist pigs, who should be immediately transported!!!!!!!! and other such posts!

What hope have genuine firearm owners got in trying to fight the good fight?

It is hard to say whether the good fight will get you anywhere or not. I do know that you are correct and that is what matters. Sometimes it takes more than words to bring about change, and I know that is not something one wants to even think of. People these days don't want to hear speak of revolution, or civil disobedience, but sometimes that is the only way to regain our freedom. I look upon the World these days and I immediately become sad and angry at the same time, because I can see what is truly happening to this World and where it is headed. What people fail to remember is that we have all gained our freedom by fighting oppression, and that is the only way we are to get it back today. We all have allowed the governments of the World to slowly take our freedoms away from us ever so slowly, and now they have nearly taken them all. The United States is one of the last beacons of liberty to the World's inhabitants, and the American people are setting idly by while we slowly slip into tyranny. If we would unite and stand as one the World over we would live how we please, but until that happens we must fight the fight we are able, and try and instill in our brothers of the World that it is up to us to restore World-wide freedom, and not some oppressive government.

saiga12boy

But they have gun control? Shoudn't the crime be down like all the other nations with gun control? Cause gun control ALWAYS works out.

Haz.

Shooting sparks warning of teenage gun use.

protias wrote;

Who needs a gun in AU?

We all do mate.! Check this out.

Shooting sparks warning of teenage gun use.

"Prof Goldsmith said. "How does a 17-year-old happen to be waving a gun around a suburban street?"

Could it by any chance be because the $500,000,000 firearm ban and steal back is a failure, as are all the multiple dozens of additional anti-firearms laws introduced after the Port Arthur massacre?

"Prof Goldsmith said gun numbers in Australia were comparable to or above the number before the Port Arthur massacre, despite about 820,000 firearms being handed in during an amnesty after the incident in 1996."

This Goldsmith blokes a real comedian. I dont remember any amnesty immediately after Port Arthur? I remember, "You have legally purchased and registered as required by law, a firearm which has now been declared illegal by the Howard government. Hand it in or go to jail for 10 years!" Thats how I remember it!

Read More;

<http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/shooting-sparks-warning-of-teenage-gun-use/story-fndo1gb8-1226546761120>

Last edited:

Mike Berg

"Who needs a gun in Australia"? Every law abiding citizen me thinks! Just like any other country......

Yeah just like i AMERICA!
Why does Western Europe have a much lower murder rate per capita than USA?
It must be thanks to all of our armed citizens

randian

It doesn't, if you only US whites. Murder isn't the only measure, however. The US has notably lower rates of robbery and home invasion. It seems that US criminals fear getting shot by their victims. I applaud that state of affairs.

Let's not forget Muslim-dominated areas of Europe, where crime is off the charts. Anybody seen the rape rate in Oslo lately? How about the annual Parisian carbecues?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yeah just like i AMERICA!
It must be thanks to all of our armed citizens

I suggest you compare all violent crimes, and not just one aspect of violence.

In 2011 10,200 people were killed with firearms in America. In 2012 that number dropped to 8,500. These numbers continue to DROP! Our violent crime numbers continue to DROP! Our murder rate over-all continues to DROP!

We now have well over 300 MILLION firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens, and our violent crime numbers CONTINUE TO DROP!

I wonder why that is? People with your logic believe more guns lead to more crime, but for some ODD reason it just doesn't turn out that way does it?

Remember, our violent crime and murder rates continue to drop, while your's continue to rise!

Last edited: