• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member, looking for literature...

WoundedVet

imported post

Hello everyone, I am a long-time Virginia resident and have been carrying concealed for a long time. I am amazed at how little I have known about Open Carry laws and I am working to rectify that. I live in Northern Virginia and I am curious about what literature I can carry on myself should I be challenged. I plan to OC for the first time this week and like anything- I want to be prepared.

My thanks for any assistance- I hope to become a valuable member of the community.

t33j

imported post

Welcome!

WoundedVet wrote:
Open Carry laws
Open carry laws??? What open carry laws? There aren't any.

Ed's OC Cards - You can PM him with a request and he should be willing to mail 'em out to ya. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/pm.php?send_to=ed

The Virginia Constitution if you feel so inclined :D

Carry a voice recorder and if it's not always on, make sure you can turn it on quickly and discretely.

Also consider joining the VCDL and checking out the NOVA OC dinners.

nova

imported post

WoundedVet wrote:
Hello everyone, I am a long-time Virginia resident and have been carrying concealed for a long time. I am amazed at how little I have known about Open Carry laws and I am working to rectify that. I live in Northern Virginia and I am curious about what literature I can carry on myself should I be challenged. I plan to OC for the first time this week and like anything- I want to be prepared.

My thanks for any assistance- I hope to become a valuable member of the community.
welcome to the site!

I've been open carrying in northern Virginia just about every day since early 2008, and have never had a negative experience.

Look here:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm

Virginia does not require firearm registration nor is it necessary to obtain a permit before carrying a firearm or other such weapon openly about the person except where prohibited by statute. Pursuant to §18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia, resident concealed handgun permits are issued by the circuit court of the jurisdiction in which the applicant resides, and nonresident concealed handgun permits are issued by the Virginia State Police.

WoundedVet

imported post

Thanks for this information! As for my post, t33j, I'm sorry you could not infer what I was looking for- next time I will make sureto type slower ;)

nova

imported post

WoundedVet wrote:
Thanks for this information! As for my post, t33j, I'm sorry you could not infer what I was looking for- next time I will make sureto type slower ;)
t33j was correct in that there is no actual law (other than Art. 1 Sec. 13 of VA Const.) that "allows" us to open carry. There is only case law, where courts have upheld our right against those who have tried to infringe. The link I posted to VA State Police website merely states that open carry is not prohibited by state law, and no permit is required. On the VCDL.org website you will also find a few letters from VA ABC that have also verified that OC is the only legal option (that is, until July 1, 2010! :celebrate ) to carry a handgun in a restaurant or club that serves alcohol for on premises consumption.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you want something you can carry with you today, go to the VCDL site (www.vcdl.org) and click on Newsletters. The newsletters all have a section on pages 5-6 that you can cut, fold, and stick in your wallet.

That reminds me, I need to contact the webmaster and ensure he gets the most recent issues posted.

AbNo

imported post

WoundedVet wrote:

I see someone's a wise-ass right out the door. :lol: