• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protest outside Denver Starbucks

Savage.Detroit

imported post

I guess they could only find retirees for the protest. I say cancel their senior discount, lol! No, not really.
article_8102

http://www.thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=8102

Gun control activists yesterday protested outside a Denver Starbucks in hopes of convincing the chain to make their coffee time “lead free.”
Following the protest, sponsors of a bill that would extend the Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s Insta-Check program — the system that scans more than six local and federal databases for background information on prospective gun buyers — argued that the background check would prevent future gun-related tragedies in Colorado.
Activists rallied at Starbucks, 300 E. Sixth Ave., yesterday in hopes of convincing the coffee chain to stop allowing people to openly carry firearms inside of the store. The coffee giant has become a target of gun control protesters after “open carry” activists started holding meetings inside Starbucks stores while noticeably equipped with guns.
“It’s not just in high schools that we see bullies in action,” said Tom Mauser, a gun control advocate who is the father of a student who was killed at Columbine. “We now have grown-up gun extremists trying to bully Starbucks into accepting behavior that most Americans consider unnecessary and dangerous.”
Meanwhile, gun rights’ activist Dudley Brown congratulated Starbucks for allowing people to openly carry guns inside their stores. He believes it makes sense for the chain to cater to gun owners.
“They can scream and yell all they want, the fact is that gun owners have very, very focused interests and they have money to spend,” he said. “I don’t generally like Starbucks’ politics, but it seems their capitalist influences have overcome some of their other tendencies, so good for them.”
For their part, Starbucks said that allowing people to openly carry guns in their stores in states like Colorado is part of their effort to stay in compliance with the local laws in the communities they serve. Colorado is one of 43 states that permits open carry, although Denver filed and won a lawsuit forbidding people to openly carry firearms within city limits. The Starbucks on Sixth Avenue where protesters rallied yesterday doesn’t allow guns to be openly carried inside the store.
A Starbucks spokesperson added that activists from both sides of the issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.
“As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally,” the company said in a statement. “Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.”
But Eileen McCarron, president of Colorado Ceasefire Capitol Fund, pointed out that businesses like Starbucks have the right to ban people from openly carrying guns within the store. Peet’s Coffee and Tea and California Pizza Kitchen have implemented such policies, she said.

Insta-Check
After the protest ended, two lawmakers and advocates appeared at the Capitol to call for the passage of House Bill 1391, which would extend Insta-Check indefinitely. The Insta-Check program, which received bipartisan support when it passed in 2000, is set to expire this summer. The background check is more thorough than the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s background check as it searches for protective orders filed in the state’s judicial system.
“In many types of criminal cases, particularly in those involving domestic or other types of violence, the person perpetrating the violence may be enraged that they are arrested,” said Rep. Joe Rice, D-Littleton. “They may seek vengeance on a witness or a victim. HB 1391 will ensure, during this volatile time, that a person may not legally get a gun.”
But gun rights activists say the Insta-Check program “adds one more level of bureaucracy and puts the government in front of citizens.” Jon Caldara of the Independence Institute said earlier this year that the state would annually save approximately $1.7 million if the federal, not state, government ran background checks for people buying firearms.
Gun control activists, however, say that $1.7 million is a small price to pay to make Colorado safer.
Yesterday’s protest and news conference came two days after the third anniversary of the Virginia Tech shooting tragedy and two days before the 11th anniversary of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton.

22-250

imported post

"Gun control activists yesterday protested outside a Denver Starbucks in hopes of convincing the chain to make their coffee time “lead free.”

Well then they should stop using city water to make the coffee...:shock:

Or perhaps these people were drinking that coffee and the Fluoride has them acting this way...:lol:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
I find it funny that they chose a Starbucks that was already in a PFZ anyway. :p
I think only OC is prohibited in Denver along with certain firearms and mag capacities. I tried to provide a cite but I'm having trouble with adobe right now.

G

imported post

I'd like to see a protest of protesters protesting protests.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Jblack44 wrote:
I find it funny that they chose a Starbucks that was already in a PFZ anyway. :p
I think only OC is prohibited in Denver along with certain firearms and mag capacities. I tried to provide a cite but I'm having trouble with adobe right now.
you are correct....id love to cite it but cant find it....im 99.99% sure your right tho

SpringerXDacp

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Jblack44 wrote:
you are correct....id love to cite it but cant find it....im 99.99% sure your right tho

Go here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Right now I can't open a pdf. I think I need to restart my computer...or ditch it.

G

imported post

Handgunlaw.us does not provide any information related to open carry. It is a resource for concealed carry.

For information related to open carry try this site:

www.OpenCarry.org

There is a wealth of information on that site pertaining to open carry.

There is even a page devoted entirely to every state not just Colorado.

Here is a like to that site's Colorado page:

http://www.opencarry.org/co.html

There is even a forum section on that site devoted to discussion of open carry issues for each individual state, including Colorado:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/

B

Bikenut

imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
I guess they could only find retirees for the protest. I say cancel their senior discount, lol! No, not really.
article_8102

http://www.thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=8102

Gun control activists yesterday protested outside a Denver Starbucks in hopes of convincing the chain to make their coffee time “lead free.”
Following the protest, sponsors of a bill that would extend the Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s Insta-Check program — the system that scans more than six local and federal databases for background information on prospective gun buyers — argued that the background check would prevent future gun-related tragedies in Colorado.
Activists rallied at Starbucks, 300 E. Sixth Ave., yesterday in hopes of convincing the coffee chain to stop allowing people to openly carry firearms inside of the store. The coffee giant has become a target of gun control protesters after “open carry” activists started holding meetings inside Starbucks stores while noticeably equipped with guns.
It’s not just in high schools that we see bullies in action,” said Tom Mauser, a gun control advocate who is the father of a student who was killed at Columbine. “We now have grown-up gun extremists trying to bully Starbucks into accepting behavior that most Americans consider unnecessary and dangerous.
Meanwhile, gun rights’ activist Dudley Brown congratulated Starbucks for allowing people to openly carry guns inside their stores. He believes it makes sense for the chain to cater to gun owners.
“They can scream and yell all they want, the fact is that gun owners have very, very focused interests and they have money to spend,” he said. “I don’t generally like Starbucks’ politics, but it seems their capitalist influences have overcome some of their other tendencies, so good for them.”
For their part, Starbucks said that allowing people to openly carry guns in their stores in states like Colorado is part of their effort to stay in compliance with the local laws in the communities they serve. Colorado is one of 43 states that permits open carry, although Denver filed and won a lawsuit forbidding people to openly carry firearms within city limits. The Starbucks on Sixth Avenue where protesters rallied yesterday doesn’t allow guns to be openly carried inside the store.
A Starbucks spokesperson added that activists from both sides of the issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.
“As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally,” the company said in a statement. “Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.”
But Eileen McCarron, president of Colorado Ceasefire Capitol Fund, pointed out that businesses like Starbucks have the right to ban people from openly carrying guns within the store. Peet’s Coffee and Tea and California Pizza Kitchen have implemented such policies, she said.

Insta-Check
After the protest ended, two lawmakers and advocates appeared at the Capitol to call for the passage of House Bill 1391, which would extend Insta-Check indefinitely. The Insta-Check program, which received bipartisan support when it passed in 2000, is set to expire this summer. The background check is more thorough than the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s background check as it searches for protective orders filed in the state’s judicial system.
“In many types of criminal cases, particularly in those involving domestic or other types of violence, the person perpetrating the violence may be enraged that they are arrested,” said Rep. Joe Rice, D-Littleton. “They may seek vengeance on a witness or a victim. HB 1391 will ensure, during this volatile time, that a person may not legally get a gun.”
But gun rights activists say the Insta-Check program “adds one more level of bureaucracy and puts the government in front of citizens.” Jon Caldara of the Independence Institute said earlier this year that the state would annually save approximately $1.7 million if the federal, not state, government ran background checks for people buying firearms.
Gun control activists, however, say that $1.7 million is a small price to pay to make Colorado safer.
Yesterday’s protest and news conference came two days after the third anniversary of the Virginia Tech shooting tragedy and two days before the 11th anniversary of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton.
Yes indeed Mr. Tom Mauser.... we now have grown up extremists trying to bully Starbucks, and the entire Nation, into accepting behavior that most Americans consider unnecessary and dangerous... and those extremists bullies are the Brady Campaign and it's anti gun supporters trying to intimidate the entire country to disarm and be at the mercy of criminals and tyrants.

As cold and unfeeling as it may seem to Mr. Mauser the truth is simple... had the staff of Columbine been armed and able to instantly respond to the shooters many of the students would not have been harmed or killed.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Handgunlaw.us does not provide any information related to open carry. It is a resource for concealed carry.

http://www.OpenCarry.org

There is even a forum section on that site devoted to discussion of open carry issues for each individual state, including Colorado:

lol, pat i dont know what we would do without your wise guidance

G

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

http://www.OpenCarry.org

lol, pat i dont know what we would do without your wise guidance
Oh go on now.

I don't have vast knowledge.

All my knowledge is half vast.;)

22-250

imported post

It’s not just in high schools that we see bullies in action,” said Tom Mauser, a gun control advocate who is the father of a student who was killed at Columbine."

They just don't learn do they? so sad..

MK

imported post

Though I am not advocating the arming of students while they are at school, I do believe that if there were some armed students and/or faculty present during the Columbine slaughter, less kids would have died.

The problem with those trying to take away citizen's rights to bear arms is that they wrap their arms around incidents that wouldn't have been prevented by the restrictive laws they are trying to get passed. At the time, restrictive gun bans/laws didn't stop Brady from being shot and there are already laws about carrying weapons into schools that weren't heeded by the two murderers at Columbine.

Criminals don't abide by the laws. When will these nutcases and misdirected victims finally understand this? When has a robber decided not to rob a bank because their was a sign prohibiting them from carrying a weapon inside? Are there multitudes of potential felons out there that would have robbed a store had they not had to first break a law by illegally possessing and carrying a firearm?