• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How has the Hartford Courant article affected you?

dcmdon

imported post

Its affected me in a subtle but significant way.

When I carry for defensive purposes, I've decided that I am best served by carrying concealed. I don't want to debate this but thats the conclusion I've arrived at.

Based on the courant article I would feel more comfortable participating in an open carry event anywhere in the state. No cop can claim ignorance. The Courant article made a big impression on LEOs state wide. I know of one town where the town manager sent a link to the article to the police chief with instructions to distribute it to the officers.

The big change for me is that am now comfortable carrying concealed in a way that may not be 100% concealed. In the past if the gun printed even a little, I would change what I was wearing or I'd go for a smaller gun.

In the last 2 days I've worn my Glock 34, my Les Baer PII and my Kahr P9 out of the house. In every case it was in a belt holster with a t shirt over it.

So while the change may seem subtle to how I carry, it is not. I'm now carrying more comfortably (belt holster vs pocket carry) and carrying larger more powerful, higher capacity guns.

Don

Chubs2287

imported post

Nope, hasn't changed me, just I feel a little bit safer,I still open carry.

My question is If you Open Carry with showing your gun the whole time make it safer to carry, from the public view crying MWAG, then carrying concealed and having your shirt ride up and exposing your firearm?

To me I would think if a person briefly saw a gun they would tend to think a criminal is hiding a gun.

Just my opinion.

Rich B

imported post

I agree 100% with Chubbs. Either OC or CCW. Printing is legal and shouldn't be an issue, but I can certainly understand why the more emotional and the more ignorant members of the public would be slightly alarmed when they assume (incorrectly of course) that there are no guns around them and one suddenly appears where there was not one previously.

Again, legal and I fully support it, but if you are nervous about OC, by all means at least choose one or the other. Or I guess just stop saying you are nervous?

Now for me:

I do usually tend to CCW, but as it gets warmer out I plan to be more adventurous with OC. It sure is nice to not have to worry about concealment garments in the dead of summer when making a quick trip somewhere with only a t-shirt and shorts.

Not only that, but I plan to wear the hell out of my three new CCDL shirts (along with my very supportive girlfriend who sported a pink CCDL shirt most of this weekend.

Time to get the word out, and it is time to stop being afraid.

dcmdon

imported post

Rich,

I agree in theory with you both. I'm just a bit of a puss about being so in your face. I guess I prefer to keep my personal life separate from my political life.

Keep banging away at me. By the end of the summer I'll have robar do a full polish hard chrome job on my Baer and I'll be carrying it in some fancy delFatti belt holster over my bathing suit, with esmerelda grips.

Eithe rway. It felt good to go out with a noticeable bulge on my hip and not worry if I had been "made".

Chubs2287

imported post

Oopps. Sorry...

I didn't mean to russle anyones' feathers.

I know printing is legal and we SHOULD NOT have to worry about someone crying MWAG if you CC and someone happen to see your gun, it just to me seems more of a reason to call the LEO and more of a risk for someone to be arrested for Breach of Peace, BTW I hate that f**king law, as it really does not apply to carrying a gun in a non-threating way, but is the LEO catch-all law to save them any trouble.

I realize now that I should have made a sperate thread for this I am sorry DC.

ESCH

imported post

I will preface my post with stating that I CC.

I appreciate those that OC. It does some good for all of us firearms owners. First, it gets the general public used to firearms. If they ran across one or two people a day who OC eventually it wouldn't be a big deal to see a firearm. Yes you would still have your rabid anti gunners, but it doesn't matter, you will never change their opinions so why care? Secondly, it removes some "shades of grey" in firearm laws. An exposed firearm is not a crime. Takes all thoughts of printing and accidental exposure out of the equation. Allows people to carry with confidence.

I won't get into the discussion of OC vs. CC because they both haveadvantages and drawbacks. Each person and each situation may merrit a different carry method. What we need is more people to carry in whatever manner they choose to.

I also wanted to add, that I have talked with some people who feel a burden is starting to lift off of them. The worry of accidental exposure or printing has had some permit holders always feeling like a criminal or at least constantly worried. That is going away.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Here is my 2 cents.

I open carry and immediately find out how many others around me have orN plan on getting a Permit to Carry.

While Open Carrying, this is what I hear.

"ARE YOU A POLICE OFFICER??

"DO YOU HAVE A PERMIT?"

"YOUR WEAPON IS SHOWING!"

"YOU BETTER COVER YOUR WEAPON OR YOU'LL GET ARRESTED!"

"WHEN I TOOK MY NRA CLASS I WAS TOLD I MUST CONCEAL MY WEAPON!"

HERE IS MY STANDARD RESPONSE:

YOU CAN CARRY YOUR PISTOL OPENLY OR CONCEALED IN CONNECTICUT IF YOU POSSESS A VALID PERMIT TO DO SO.

I was a Police Officer in the early 1970s, I have a CT Permit to Carry as well as Conceal Carry Permits from Florida and Utah. I aslo have a CT Eligibility Certificate and am a NRA Pistol Safety Instructor and authored a Pistol Safety Course of Intruction that has been approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety.

Read your Permit and you will NOT find the word CONCEAL anywhere on the permit.

You were NOT trained properly by the NRA and they don't teach state specific beyond the basics and are limited by the course as to what they can teach.

I am heavily involved in Firearm issues in Connecticut and have been involved in several firearm related cases since 2007.

If you have any questions, call the Special Liicense and Firearms Unit at DPS and tell them who you met, what you saw and that you saw me carrying OPENLY.

I always end with:

"I AM RECOGNIZED AND CERTIFIED BY THESTATE OF CONNECTICUTAS AS PISTOL SAFETY COURSE INSTRUCTOR AND I AM NOW PROVIDING YOU WITH FREE INSTRUCTION THAT CARRYING OPENLY IN CONNECTICUT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL UNLESS YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID"

I AM ALWAYS PREPARED TO PROVIDE MY NAME AND MY PERMIT UPON REQUEST OF ANYONE WHO ASKS TO SEE SAME.

cbnlnk121

imported post

For me the news article just make me feel more comfortable carrying period. I have carried both IWB and OWB and prefer to do it OWB as it's MUCH more comfortable.

Some of the places I have traveled I was worried if it was being 'seen' and thought about how some might over react. I don't want that kindof attention (ex. MWAG panic).

When OWB carry I have always put my shirt over it and if it becomes exposed then so be it. My friends are finally used to seeing it and some are and have got their permits because of it. My conversations seem to end up the same as Ed's. I'm not as well educated as you but I do try to let those know of the laws but also carrying with me the CCDL 'guide'.

stacks04

imported post

for me, once i found this site and did some personal research i was much more "free" with carry. if this article did anything to me, it would be i would feel more comfortable knowing that maybe more people are aware of this now. the h-c is a highly circulated paper and undoubtedly got read by many people in the know. thanks h-c. oh and the poll associated with it online was very comforting.

dcmdon

imported post

ESCH wrote:
I also wanted to add, that I have talked with some people who feel a burden is starting to lift off of them. The worry of accidental exposure or printing has had some permit holders always feeling like a criminal or at least constantly worried. That is going away.

My point exactly. (except you said it better than I did)

KennyB

imported post

Hi Guys, new member here. I have decided to open carry and do so most times I leave home now. The article for me was an "eye opener" as I just got my permit in Jan, and was told by the instructor that I was to carry "conceled" as that was the law. After reading the HC article, I was like what the hell!!?? Since the article, I have open carried probably a few dozen times, with no incidences........so far. After reading Ed Perutas response, I feel even more bold in OC my weapon. I have joined a local range and try to shoot at least 1 or 2 times weekly. I have to say, I feel much more comfortable now carrying my weapon as it is almost becoming 'a part of me' in a way, and not something foreign. Thanks Ed! Just my 02 and i'm glad I found this site!

dcmdon

imported post

For me again, today was about worry free concealed carry. I wore my Baer government sized 1911 on a belt holster. My untucked shirt just barely covered to the botom of the muzzle.

I went in to get my hair cut with no jacket, or other cover garment. I never would have done this in the past when I felt I needed to be 100% concealed.

Don

Edward Peruta

imported post

The self defense shooting in New Haven speaks louder than any words in this forum.

A man trying to eat his sandwich in a park in the afternoon was able to defend himself with his weapon and Permit to Carry.

Everyone could have been reading a different story had the victim not had a Permit to Carry and a firearm.

I wonder if the accused would have demanded money had he seen an exposed firearm.

Probably not, he would have looked for a defenseless person without a gun.

dcmdon

imported post

Ed, you are probably right. The Wooster square area is just a few blocks from a methadone clinic on Grand Ave. The perp was most likely an addict who saw a target of opportunity.

What none of the news storys tell you is that Wooster square and Wooster Street in New Haven is known as "Little Italy". There is a large concentration of OLD SCHOOL Italian Americans in that area.

Without saying too much, lets just say that the muggers know to stay out of that neighborhood. People are more likely to use a 1911 than to dial 911. Everybody who knows New Haven snickers and shakes his head when he reads about where this took place.

Italian Americans have a long history of doing what it takes to protect their own. To the old guy with the sandwich, my hat is off to you. Incidentally, the Maffia was originally established in the U.S. to defend recent Italian immigrants against oppression.

How do I know this? I'm an American of Italian descent from New Haven.

Rich B

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
What none of the news storys tell you is that Wooster square and Wooster Street in New Haven is known as "Little Italy". There is a large concentration of OLD SCHOOL Italian Americans in that area.

Actually, I believe all of them mentioned that. Considering the defender was Polish, I also doubt anything Italian is relevant.

dcmdon

Rich B

imported post

I stand corrected, that articles from today make no mention. I am fairly certain all the 'breaking news' articles did however. That is pretty much all they had at the time.

Either way, Wooster street is defended by the Italian Mafia like my chimney is defended by Santa Claus. Wooster Street has less crime because it is impacted by the same police presence that is around church/chapel/yale.

It is no secret where crime does and doesn't occur in New Haven.

http://spotcrime.com/ct/new+haven

sheepdaddy

imported post

Rich B wrote:
sheepdaddy wrote:
No change really. Just going to Carry On as normal. There are times I OC and times I CC.
I see you are from Hamden. What have your experiences OCing in Hamden and New Haven been like?
I have had no problems whatsoever around town. Been in most of the major shopping stores on Dixwell [not stop and shop because i refuse to shop there], gas stations/marts, parks,eateries [SBC,Panera,deli's]ect. So far so good.