• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How has the Hartford Courant article affected you?

dcmdon

imported post

But if the crime is never reported to the police, it will never appear on your little map.

When was the last time you saw a police car dealing with a crime on Wooster Street? I've never seen it.

Wooster Street is safe for many reasons. Its a cohesive community, as evidenced by a very active block watch group. But don't fool yourself. The like any old school community there is a bit of the take care of your own mentality.

Its way more subtle than you stated. Its not like North Branford, where everyone has 1 acre or larger plots. (Shoot, the VanWilgens on Valley Road have more land than all of Wooster Square and Wooster Street. My aunts used to spend hours hanging out in the windows of their second floor appartments looking out over Wooster Street. They saw EVERYTHING. But they went to bed at 8 unfortunately.

dcmdon

imported post

sheepdaddy wrote:
Rich B wrote:
sheepdaddy wrote:
No change really.  Just going to Carry On as normal. There are times I OC and times I CC.
I see you are from Hamden. What have your experiences OCing in Hamden and New Haven been like?
I have had no problems whatsoever around town. Been in most of the major shopping stores on Dixwell [not stop and shop because i refuse to shop there], gas stations/marts, parks, eateries [SBC,Panera,deli's] ect.  So far so good.

Sheepdaddy - is the Hamden police chief still a problem with pistol permits. I don't know if its a different guy now. But when I was going to college in New Haven, I remember Chris Doglio of Chris' Guns telling me what a hassle it was for Hamden people.

Rich B

imported post

So everyone is watching but no crime is reported?

I don't dispute that the community is what makes Wooster Square safer, but again, it has nothing to do with any mafia presence.

A strong community and the benefits reaped by Yale's proximity and influence are the most obvious causes of reduced crime. The map clearly shows that aura of influence.

sheepdaddy

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
sheepdaddy wrote:
Rich B wrote:
sheepdaddy wrote:
No change really. Just going to Carry On as normal. There are times I OC and times I CC.
I see you are from Hamden. What have your experiences OCing in Hamden and New Haven been like?
I have had no problems whatsoever around town. Been in most of the major shopping stores on Dixwell [not stop and shop because i refuse to shop there], gas stations/marts, parks,eateries [SBC,Panera,deli's]ect. So far so good.

Sheepdaddy - is the Hamden police chief still a problem with pistol permits. I don't know if its a different guy now. But when I was going to college in New Haven, I remember Chris Doglio of Chris' Guns telling me what a hassle it was for Hamden people.
The now Chief Thomas Wydra seems to be alright as far as the permits go. Haven't heard anything bad about it.]

sheepdaddy

imported post

Rich B wrote:
So everyone is watching but no crime is reported?

I don't dispute that the community is what makes Wooster Square safer, but again, it has nothing to do with any mafia presence.

A strong community and the benefits reaped by Yale's proximity and influence are the most obvious causes of reduced crime. The map clearly shows that aura of influence.

Rich, what he means is that not all crimes are reported to "Spotcrime". I know that not every PD subcribes to the service. Here are the only PD's that use the service

Brookfield, Darien, Fairfield,Farmington, Hartford, New Canaan, New Haven, Norwalk, Ridgefield, Stamford, West Haven, Westport, and Wilton.

dcmdon

imported post

Actually what I meant was that most crimes were dealt with within the neighborhood. I'm sure its much less that way now, but the reputation still exists.

When Italians came to New Haven in the early 1900s they were openly discriminated against by the Anglo and Irish police. Jews and Italians, who settled together were on their own as far as protecting their neighborhoods from bad stuff within and without.

To this day there is a special relationship between city Jews and Italians in the New Haven area.

With citizenship and the fact that their kids spoke English without an accent came affluence. Many of the city's Italians moved out to West Haven, East Haven, and Orange. The entire Congress/Davenport/Legion Avenue area was once a Jewish and Italian Ghetto.

Reform and Conservative jews left also, but the Hasidim stayed and began buying up propoerty. They created a place where displaced jews could come to start a new life. This was ramped up in the early 90s when the iron curtain fell and millions of jews emigrated from once communist countries.

Why am I mentioning this? Because they bought up a bunch of houses in the Edgewood park area. About 5 years ago,when the NHPD would not do what was necessary to control crime from those outside the neighborhood this group formed armed patrols. The NHPD was livid. But the patrols continued until the NHPD upped their presence.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/nyregion/19haven.html
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/article.php?p=7661
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/article.php?p=7777

guns600.jpg

So whats the point of all this? Botom line is that Jews and Italians have a long history of "going it alone" without the help or approval of the NHPD.

sheepdaddy

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
Actually what I meant was that most crimes were dealt with within the neighborhood. I'm sure its much less that way now, but the reputation still exists.
Sorry dc..thought you were talking about Spotcrime at the time.:uhoh:

Deadman514

imported post

From what I understand he was never a problem with pistol permits...
ClassIII on the other hand -Hamden is known for not signing off.

I'm glad I found this site...since I found out about OC...I got rid of my PM40 that felt like holding an M80 in my hand and started carrying my P14 again.
I still CC but I'm less paranoid about printing. IMO -fixing your shirt every 5 seconds to make sure your pistol's not showing -kinda defeats the purpose of CC.

dcmdon

imported post

Deadman,
If you ever want to buy some class 3 stuff.
I can help you get a trust set up. We can talk about how much you plan to acquire and whether you're better off doing the quicken home lawyer route or if you should involve an attorney. I'm a big fan of using an attorney and doing it right, but can see some instances where the QHL route might make some sense. (SBR'd ARs in particular)

Don