• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How NOT to talk about a shooting incident

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:cuss::banghead::cuss:Is there any way to go back in time and tie his mouth shut? No matter how rightious the shooting may have been he's just labled himself - and all the rest of us by extension - as mad killers just waiting for the chance to blow somebody -- anybody -- away.

You can find his "Daily Mailing" here: http://www.spw-duf.info

Here's the comment by S.P. Wegner in his daily newsletter here:
Oops, Wrong Apartment: A man told police he feared for his life when he shot and killed a man who asked for change in a downtown apartment complex on Sunday. Brian Blevins, 24, of Indianapolis [IN], said he was at the apartments with his girlfriend helping another friend move in when they were approached by a man who asked if anyone had change for a $5 bill. Blevins said he told the other man, Christopher Hampton, 38, that he had cash in the apartment, but said that as he took Hampton inside, the man told him to go to the back room and pulled a gun on him in a robbery attempt. Blevins told police that he pulled a gun and shot the would-be robber several times, Mount said. Hampton was pronounced dead at the scene. Mount said it was unclear if the man who was shot had fired during the exchange. He was wearing a monitored ankle bracelet because of a violation of a protective order earlier this month, police said. Blevins has a permit to carry a handgun, Mount said. "Everything looks like it was an act of self-defense," Mount said… (While I usually greet everyone I meet with a smile – while “having a plan to kill them all” – I will neither dig out my cell phone to check the time nor dig out my wallet to make change for a stranger, much less allow one into my home.)
It's all about this article:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/23190094/detail.html

Police: Man Justified In Fatal Shooting
Man Says He Killed Would-Be Robber[/i]

POSTED: 9:10 pm EDT April 18, 2010
UPDATED: 10:06 am EDT April 19, 2010

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?targetUr...dline=Police: Man Justified In Fatal Shootinghttp://digg.com/submit?phase=2&titl....theindychannel.com/news/23190094/detail.htmlhttp://reddit.com/submit?url=http:/...title=Police: Man Justified In Fatal Shootingjavascript:popUp('/print/23190094/detail.html','width=460,height=400,scrollbars');

[*]

INDIANAPOLIS -- [/b]A man told police he feared for his life when he shot and killed a man who asked for change in a downtown apartment complex on Sunday.

Officers were called to the third floor of the building at 1503 N. Pennsylvania Ave. just after 4 p.m. on a report of a person shot, said Sgt. Matthew Mount.

Brian Blevins, 24, of Indianapolis, said he was at the apartments with his girlfriend helping another friend move in when they were approached by a man who asked if anyone had change for a $5 bill.

IBSYS.ad.AdManager.registerPosition({
"iframe": false,
"addlSz": "",
"element": "ad_N640066.2C5F",
"interstitials": false,
"beginDate": "",
"endDate": "",
"getSect": "yes",
"name": "square",
"qString": "",
"width": "300",
"height": "250",
"section": "",
"useId": "23190094",
"interactive": false,
"useSameCategory": false,
"topic": "",
"swSectionRoot": "",
"useZone": "",
"containerType": "page",
"containerID": "99631",
"type": "DOM"
});

document.write('');

CollectiveMedia.createAndAttachAd("iblocal-3153992_1271704834","http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/iblocal.mcgrawhill.ron/n6101_ron300;net=iblocal;u=,iblocal-3153992_1271704834,118255e02082fa6,polit,;;kw=n6101_ron300;dcove=o;ord1=291681;sz=300x250;contx=polit;btg=;ord=486870?","300","250",true);

Blevins said he told the other man, Christopher Hampton, 38, that he had cash in the apartment, but said that as he took Hampton inside, the man told him to go to the back room and pulled a gun on him in a robbery attempt.

Blevins told police that he pulled a gun and shot the would-be robber several times, Mount said. Hampton was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mount said it was unclear if the man who was shot had fired during the exchange. He was wearing a monitored ankle bracelet because of a violation of a protective order earlier this month, police said.

Blevins has a permit to carry a handgun, Mount said.

"Everything looks like it was an act of self-defense," Mount said.

No arrests were made, but police will turn over information from their investigation to the Marion County Prosecutor's Office for review.
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/23190094/detail.htmlPlease keep in mind when you make comments about press articles that what you say reflects on the firearms community as much as the article itself.

stay safe.

skidmark

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Context is everything. In a case like this, if you have access to comment, it is too easy to undermine the other commenter.

Just point out that his attitude is the standard for Blackwater/Xecontractors working in Iraq, but shows a decided paranoia when applied elsewhere.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

skidmark wrote:
:cuss::banghead::cuss:Is there any way to go back in time and tie his mouth shut? No matter how rightious the shooting may have been he's just labled himself - and all the rest of us by extension - as mad killers just waiting for the chance to blow somebody -- anybody -- away.

You can find his "Daily Mailing" here: http://www.spw-duf.info

Here's the comment by S.P. Wegner in his daily newsletter here:
Oops, Wrong Apartment: A man told police he feared for his life when he shot and killed a man who asked for change in a downtown apartment complex on Sunday. Brian Blevins, 24, of Indianapolis [IN], said he was at the apartments with his girlfriend helping another friend move in when they were approached by a man who asked if anyone had change for a $5 bill. Blevins said he told the other man, Christopher Hampton, 38, that he had cash in the apartment, but said that as he took Hampton inside, the man told him to go to the back room and pulled a gun on him in a robbery attempt. Blevins told police that he pulled a gun and shot the would-be robber several times, Mount said. Hampton was pronounced dead at the scene. Mount said it was unclear if the man who was shot had fired during the exchange. He was wearing a monitored ankle bracelet because of a violation of a protective order earlier this month, police said. Blevins has a permit to carry a handgun, Mount said. "Everything looks like it was an act of self-defense," Mount said… (While I usually greet everyone I meet with a smile – while “having a plan to kill them all” – I will neither dig out my cell phone to check the time nor dig out my wallet to make change for a stranger, much less allow one into my home.)

That saying is mildly popular on the gun/gun rights forums I visit. That one, and others do indicate the kind of, uhm, thinking, that we or our gun-toting brethren espouse.

Sometimes, of course, we don't really mean it but still say it--because it is cool cool coolio.

Hardly anyone ever objects. And if one does object,he is likely to get tabbed an anti or a Brady-buncher.

eye95

imported post

Well tab me an anti or a Brady Buncher.

It is a stupid thing to say. Especially in print.

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Well tab me an anti or a Brady Buncher.

It is a stupid thing to say. Especially in print.

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law!
+1

I hope never to be put in a position where I must even have to make the decision to stop someone. That I will go on record as saying.

Yata hey

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Exactly. I made the mistake of using "the k word" once to make a point. Someone made the argument to me that it could have been pointed out in a different way. I apologized, explained myself, and moved on from there (not to use it again).

I needed to be reminded of, not only, the implications of my putting something down in text that can later be reviewed, but the sensitivity to people not aware of what point I am trying to make (it's easy to forget that it's not just OCers that read this forum).

People may take what I say out of context and label me something and therefore I may lose my credibility. The more we educate ourselves and make logical arguments instead of using harsh words, the more chance we have of making an impact for the better.