• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry

Ranchero

imported post

Deathwing_Kingstar wrote:
first time i opened carried, no eventful situations. i could say it was good because it was my first time.

Did you have your recorder on you at all times?

Do you have any photos to share?

RANCHERO

GlockFanatic943

imported post

Congrats on your first open carry day! My first day will be on the 26th after i get done plotting out on a giant map of all schools so i have no issues.

What is a good voice recorder? i have been looking for awhile but just seems for 30-40$ its going to be cheaply made and when it comes down to actually needing it it wont do anything.. what do yuo recommend for voice recorders?

Deathwing_Kingstar

imported post

sorry no photos. but for a voice recorder, i feel words are just not good enough for any sort of evidence. so i just keep my samsung rogue with me and have a shortcut set for the video recorder. its has good video and audio and can record as much memory as the memory card you can put in it. remember asking a Leo to give information into an audio recorder is probably a hard thing to do so just make it easier with video.

pullnshoot25

imported post

sorry no photos. but for a voice recorder, i feel words are just not good enough for any sort of evidence. so i just keep my samsung rogue with me and have a shortcut set for the video recorder. its has good video and audio and can record as much memory as the memory card you can put in it. remember asking a Leo to give information into an audio recorder is probably a hard thing to do so just make it easier with video.

You have to be joking.

There is a reason you leave the recorder running for the length of your activity and do not disclose you are recording.

dirtykoala

imported post

i learned the hard way to have a reliable audio recorder on at all times. i hope you decide to get and use one before learning that you should. i also learned the hard way that cops wont let you reach in your pocket to start recording them with your phone.

i recommend the sansa clip.$50 +/-seemed like a good chunck of change to spend for the sole purpose of recording the somewhat rare chance of a LEO encounter, but the potential use of it is priceless.

good job on your first outing, and good luck with your futures.

demnogis

imported post

I learned the hard way also. Always have that recorder running while carrying. It's the only reliable CYA tool you can have. It definitely changes the situation from "your word against theirs" to "their word and the truth".

I'm not saying LEOs will lie to arrest. I am saying however that it will keep everyone honest at the right time.

coolusername2007

imported post

Congrats on your first UOC. I take it nobody at Wally World paniced, freaked out, or spontaneously began stealing merchandise.

The others are correct, recording is essential to maintaining your rights, freedoms, and the truth. Before you holster up, before you step out of the car, start your recorder, then do the rest. I even narrate my recordings for date, time, location, activities I'll be doing etc. all for the record. Other's freedoms have been saved because they had a record of the events as they happened. It would be a shame if you lost your gun rights for 10 yearsand maybe even freedom because you didn't spend $50-100 bucks on a recorder with new (orfully recharged)batteries.

coolusername2007

imported post

demnogis wrote:
I learned the hard way also. Always have that recorder running while carrying. It's the only reliable CYA tool you can have. It definitely changes the situation from "your word against theirs" to "their word and the truth".

I'm not saying LEOs will lie to arrest. I am saying however that it will keep everyone honest at the right time.
Maybe not, but they have lied after they arrested, presumably in an attempt to get a conviction. Just ask Mike Hunt. His recording devices saved his bacon!

Deathwing_Kingstar

imported post

hey guys i appreciate the feed back and yes ill take your advice on the audio recording. guess what i went into a 7-eleven today oc'ing and an leo was inside, he stop me and asked... "so are you one of those open carry guys!" gave me attitude, what wasironic was that particular 7-eleven was a next to a gas station where an officer was shot because the perp. stole the officer's gun off his holster.

greg36f

imported post

hey guys i appreciate the feed back and yes ill take your advice on the audio recording. guess what i went into a 7-eleven today oc'ing and an leo was inside, he stop me and asked... "so are you one of those open carry guys!" gave me attitude, what wasironic was that particular 7-eleven was a next to a gas station where an officer was shot because the perp. stole the officer's gun off his holster.
Did the officer detain you? Do an E check? What happened?

Deathwing_Kingstar

imported post

no the officer did not detain me or do an e check. he was just sour about the fact that i OC. probably to lazy to do his job. thus lori saldana should understand that leo's cant always be there to protect us.

dirtykoala

imported post

no the officer did not detain me or do an e check. he was just sour about the fact that i OC. probably to lazy to do his job. thus lori saldana should understand that leo's cant always be there to protect us.

its good that he didnt, progress is being made on some levels.

remember, its not their job to perform an "e" check, its their option.

greg36f

imported post

Wow, "to lazy to do his job". If he had done anE check, would he have been an “jack booted thug" bent on harassing a law abiding gun owner?

Other than asking you a question, it seems to me that it went perfectly.

This is aperfect example of a "no win" situation for this officer. Your attitude seems to perpetuate the "us verses them" attitude and there is enough of that going around already.

pullnshoot25

imported post

greg36f wrote:
Wow, "to lazy to do his job". If he had done anE check, would he have been an “jack booted thug" bent on harassing a law abiding gun owner?

This is aperfect example of a "no win" situation for this officer. Your attitude seems to perpetuate the "us verses them" attitude and there is enough of that going around already.
Agreed.

greg36f

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
greg36f wrote:

Agreed.

OMG,,,,,,,,pullnshoot....do you realize that you just said "Agreed" to something I (greg36f) said.....There is hope for us all!!!

Thank you.....
banana.gif

pullnshoot25

imported post

greg36f wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
greg36f wrote:

Agreed.

OMG,,,,,,,,pullnshoot....do you realize that you just said "Agreed" to something I (greg36f) said.....There is hope for us all!!!

Thank you.....
banana.gif
I give credit where it is due. :)

Deathwing_Kingstar

imported post

thank you guys for all the input so far. i do agree with what you guys are saying. it was probablybetter that the officer did not ask, i know that save me some inconvenience.just a question to throw out there is anyone by southsan jose?