• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rumor control, please?

Overtaxed

imported post

During the national (unarmed) 2A rally at the Washington Monument today a fellow attendee nodded toward a few extra uniformed officers and said "I just spoke to a buddy of mine who said there was an incident at the armed rally in Virginia. That's why they sent extra cops here."

I've never heard of any trouble at any pro-gun event or any OC gathering.

Anyone know the real story here?

DJEEPER

imported post

haha, the only "incident" i saw was the fact that the people at the Richmond rally had the audacity to bring flag poles with their flags.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!? we all could have been killed! :what:

:lol:

It went very smoothly. no issues

Overtaxed

imported post

Thanks for the info... I didn't think there was or would be any issues there.

richarcm

imported post

Just got back. It went as smooth as silk. We had a reasonable number of cops on the grounds, a few snipers on the roof of a nearby building while Marine One flew overtop of us to the White House and that's about it. No troubles. Many people even open holstered and nothing was ever said about that. Very boring rally if drama was what you were seeking. :dude:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Very boring rally if drama was what you were seeking. :dude:
Good!
I wasn't worried about the DC Rally. That was in good hands. The Admiral worries the hell out of me though.
Hopefully he'll go the hell back to Georgia now.

Overtaxed

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Just got back. It went as smooth as silk. We had a reasonable number of cops on the grounds, a few snipers on the roof of a nearby building while Marine One flew overtop of us to the White House and that's about it. No troubles. Many people even open holstered and nothing was ever said about that. Very boring rally if drama was what you were seeking. :dude:

Wasn't seeking anything other than using my First Amendment rights in support of my 2A rights. Also enjoyed meeting other folks from around the country.

Glad things went smoothly - I was just shocked to hear about some sort of problem, but that's what happens when the "friend of a friend"effect kicks in.

richarcm

imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
richarcm wrote:

Wasn't seeking anything other than using my First Amendment rights in support of my 2A rights. Also enjoyed meeting other folks from around the country.

Glad things went smoothly - I was just shocked to hear about some sort of problem, but that's what happens when the "friend of a friend"effect kicks in.
I dont know of any problems. But I'm always looking over my shoulders waiting for the gubment to plant something on us in order to make an example of us.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I am struck by the beautiful demonstration of the absurdity of gun control exhibited in that video.

AbNo

wylde007

imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
During the national (unarmed) 2A rally at the Washington Monument today a fellow attendee nodded toward a few extra uniformed officers and said "I just spoke to a buddy of mine who said there was an incident at the armed rally in Virginia. That's why they sent extra cops here."
Are you speaking of the Richmond rally or the one at Gravelly Point held on the same day?

If you're talking about the Gravelly Point "incident" I can elaborate.

On Sunday a group went on a leaders "recon" to scout Fort Hunt and Gravelly Point parks to meet with the park police sergeant (a very professional and respectful woman) and make sure that we had all of the material and equipment needed for our event.

One of the lead group was carrying his rifle at the time and someone called the real police (not the park police). They rolled up six or seven deep. The park sergeant set them straight and sent them on their way.

It was really nothing more than a MWaG call. Not too big a surprise, all things considered.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I uderstand your feelings Wylde, but as I've always said, just because we all own guns, doesn't mean we all see things the same way. I posted a while back about the Park changes causingf a split among gun owners. Mike nearly swooned. How could gun owners not like the change.

Well Mike and many others see things through a very narrow depth of field, and so do I, just pointed in a different direction. So do you and even though we all have a related goal, how we see getting there, is different.

Take Deer hunting for an example. The idea is to kill the Deer.

Some still hunt which consists of moving very slowly all day. Works sometimes.

Some drive. Rarely works but doesn't take much skill either.

Some stand hunt which is usually the most effective but takes a lot of preperation and patience.

Some hunt with dogs which only makes a lot of noise and pisses everyone else off.

Some just hang around the checking station in their new camo and talk.

We each decide how to fight the common fight.

kennys

imported post

Citizen wrote:
ed wrote:
SNIP Police perform "safety check" on Civil War Re-enactors prop firearm(s)
Mighty funny-looking Civil War hats. :):p
I am surprised the hand over the barrel, as well as it looks like face above the barrel didn't get any comments. Those may not be real, but I'm just sayin.

Overtaxed

imported post

Wylde:

Just to clarify, I was at the unarmed DC rally near the Monument on Monday. There seemed to be an uptick in uniformed officers at our rally, and a fellow attendee nodded toward themand said,

>"I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine (he might have said "brother" - it was >kinda loud there). Something bad happened at the armed gathering across the >river and as a result they're beefing up the police presence here."

I was shockedat the idea thatthe excellent track record of open carry gatherings was broken on that particular day. That's why I wrote my post the way I did, because what the fellow said reeked of typical second or third-hand BS.

There WAS a two-man rooftop overwatch for about an hour or so - they seemed to focus mainly on the DC rally, but they were looking in other directions, too and went back inside after Marine One and a decoy or two took off.

wylde007

imported post

Nothing bad happened at the Gravelly Point event. I can account to that without reservation.

No "excellent track record" was broken anywhere within eye- or earshot of my location.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Nothing bad happened at the Gravelly Point event. I can account to that without reservation.

No "excellent track record" was broken anywhere within eye- or earshot of my location.
The big question is, what was accomplished?

Is Congress afraid now?

Will they mind their P &Q's because they're afraid of a hundred and fifty people with AK's coming after them?

Is the Georgia Chef going to lead the rebellion?

OR

Is this going to get thrown back in our face and the National Parks become gun free again and the Assault weapon ban gets put back in place?

Sorry Wylde. IMO all it did was let a hundred and fifty fellows take a lot of the shine from 2000 that were telling Congress they Vote.

Overtaxed

imported post

wylde007 wrote:

I'm extremely glad to hear that. I thank you sincerely for your first-hand report. :)