• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saved by a firearm I never had to expose.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sam wrote:
open4years I think you did a great job. On a side note, maybe HankT is just curious? ^_^
And curiosity did what to the cat?

Figuratively speaking of course. :D

Yata hey

smttysmth02gt

imported post

HankT wrote:
open4years wrote:
They were somewhere around 15 or 16 years old and slim. I'm 6 feet, 175lbs. I assume you must be questioning why I didn't beat them up?

You assume wrong.

How tall were they? How much did they weigh? Approximately.

What is the general nature of your disability?
It seems like you're obsessed with a size comparison being a determining factor in a physical confrontation. Unfortunately you'd be incorrect in ASSuming this. I'm sure many people can vouch for the perspective of a much smaller individual beating a larger person to a pulp with ease.

Not saying that is always the case, just as you shouldn't assume that it some how matters in a fight. Strength, mass, weight, height, reach, agility, speed, and technique all matter equally in hand to hand.

protector84

imported post

Personally, I tend to be more worried about a small person attacking me than a large one. A small person may be more agile and faster plus they have less surface area for you to attack them. A larger person may be overconfident due to his size and may be slower and less agile. You have larger surface area that you can attack on. Bigger is not always better. The same goes with gender. A small innocent-looking woman may have no problem going crazy with a knife. Don't let looks be deceiving.

Sam

imported post

It seems like you're obsessed with a size comparison being a determining factor in a physical confrontation.

LOL! Isn't that an assumption as well? :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sam wrote:
It seems like you're obsessed with a size comparison being a determining factor in a physical confrontation.
Size is not a valid predictor of success - use accompanied with effort/skill is a better indicator of probable success.

True with many things in life.

Yata hey

Sam

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Sam wrote:
Size is not a valid predictor of success - use accompanied with effort/skill is a better indicator of probable success.

True with many things in life.

Yata hey
Why did you quote me? I have no stance on the issue, just pointing out the humor. LOL! Yes, I'm assuming right now.

I thought this kind of sounded like an assumption. ...(seems like you're obsessed). Anyhoo talk about a thread hi-jack. I have not had any experiences to share that fit the subject. :) / :(

noname762

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Beerme wrote:
how were you saved?
They didnt do anything to you...

How about having said firearm appeared to help keep a situation from escalating into something very bad? Thus it saved him from a bad situation.

I've had the same happen twice to me. Two separate muggings about to happen only to have the BG turn tail and run away upon seeing I was armed.
I might take some heat for this but it wouldn't be the first time someone disagrees with me.
This is JMHO open for years but Hank T is (in my view) a bit of a troll. I've had 2 somewhat similar experiences with situations that started out amicable enough only to start 'heading south' for no apparent reason. The first time I displayed without brandishing and the second time I was reaching for my concealed revolver when the 2 possible BGs decided to leave on their own. I was very glad both times I was armed.

noname762

imported post

noname762 wrote:
darthmord wrote:
Beerme wrote:
how were you saved?
They didnt do anything to you...

How about having said firearm appeared to help keep a situation from escalating into something very bad? Thus it saved him from a bad situation.

I've had the same happen twice to me. Two separate muggings about to happen only to have the BG turn tail and run away upon seeing I was armed.
I might take some heat for this but it wouldn't be the first time someone disagrees with me.
This is JMHO open for years but Hank T is (in my view) a bit of a troll. I've had 2 somewhat similar experiences with situations that started out amicable enough only to start 'heading south' for no apparent reason. The first time I displayed without brandishing and the second time I was reaching for my concealed revolver when the 2 possible BGs decided to leave on their own. I was very glad both times I was armed.

I am glad to see some familiar names here from other sites I frequent like Mr Mitch and Grapeshot. I am curious tho as to how long it will be before I see my good friend and author Alma The Younger in here.

Sam

imported post

Call it whatever you want, It doesn't change. I just think it's funny how people are quick to think assumptions are so bad. My observation is more rooted in things that happened in my personal life at that time. This was just the cherry on top of what I found to be a humorous string of events. Hmm.. In hindsight I can see it was more of an inside joke.

To be honest I was also curious on the details of the encounter and at first thought it strange how some seemed so aggressive towards HankT, but I think there is a history there I'm not familiar with.

You are welcome.

flagellum

imported post

What I find hilarious is how everyone assumes a teenager on a bicycle is bad news, and how a gun that they never knew you had "saved you."

More likely than not they were curious kids who were just bored of riding around in circles so they figured they would talk with someone interesting. When I was a teen I always rode around with a group and would talk to all sorts of people. Of course they would rally around you with thier bikes, it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense to line up single file to talk to someone. I doubt they were aware that circling or asking you what your equipment is worth would be a threat. Most people don't think like that. I appaud your situational awareness but your assumption that you were going to be jumped sounds absurd.

Tribunal Power

imported post

flagellum wrote:
What I find hilarious is how everyone assumes a teenager on a bicycle is bad news, and how a gun that they never knew you had "saved you."

More likely than not they were curious kids who were just bored of riding around in circles so they figured they would talk with someone interesting. When I was a teen I always rode around with a group and would talk to all sorts of people. Of course they would rally around you with thier bikes, it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense to line up single file to talk to someone. I doubt they were aware that circling or asking you what your equipment is worth would be a threat. Most people don't think like that. I appaud your situational awareness but your assumption that you were going to be jumped sounds absurd.

Absurd?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you've never been jumped. What sounds absurd to me is that one would be standing there with an expensive piece of equipment and be swarmed by teenagers in a bad neighborhood as describedand NOT consider it possibility of getting jumped.

Maybe they were curious kids, maybe they were punks with knives. He didn't know, and he wasn't taking the chance. I wouldn't either.

You played it off well, OP. Cool head trumps hot lead.