• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Advocates carry handguns, rifles at Va. rally', AP News.Yahoo.com

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100419/ap_on_re_us/us_second_amendment_rallies

[Excerpt, my emphasis]
Daniel Almond, who organized the "Restore the Constitution" rally in Virginia, said he wanted to convene in a place where "we can exercise our rights." He pointed in the direction of Washington and said, "Over there, the Constitution is being violated in that we cannot bear arms."
Among the speakers in Virginia was former Alabama Minuteman leader Mike Vanderboegh, who has been denounced in recent weeks after calling for citizens to throw bricks through the windows of local Democratic party headquarters across the country. Several such incidents occurred after Vanderboegh issued his call.
Vanderboegh said the broken windows are a wake-up call that many people feel threatened by an expanding federal government.
"We are done backing up. Not one more inch," Vanderboegh said to cheers, after telling the crowd that for too long Americans have acquiesced at the loss of liberty.
In an interview, Vanderboegh said he considers armed resistance justified only "when they send people to our doors and kill us."
But he suggested that an arrest at the hand of federal government is tantamount to a death sentence and that he would fight back in such a case. Specifically, he outlined a scenario in which people who refuse to buy health insurance under the new health reform law would be subject to arrest and that such confrontations could turn violent.
"If I know I'm not going to get a fair trial in federal court ... I at least have the right to an unfair gunfight," Vanderboegh said.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

The last word excerpt:
U.S. Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., said in a statement that armed protests in national parks were a public safety concern. He also said that while the Second Amendment has become a rallying point for gun rights activists, "virtually every action the federal government has taken in the past decade has weakened commonsense gun laws already on the books."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:

The last word excerpt:
U.S. Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., said in a statement that armed protests in national parks were a public safety concern. He also said that while the Second Amendment has become a rallying point for gun rights activists, "virtually every action the federal government has taken in the past decade has weakened commonsense gun laws already on the books."

I think Moran is spot on. Have been saying it for years. The pro-gun movement has been in the ascendance for at least 10 years. Even the AWB was a partial success--by staving off the really significant regulation (and real banning) for which there was LOTS of political and popular support for at that time.

On the Virginia rally issue, what the heck are these yay-hoos carrying long guns for? I don't get that.

The Vanderboegh fellow is a rabble-rouser. He's trouble. A nut.

An ideologicalnut with a gun.

Not good...

(3 posts for 1 article, Dougs? Ahh, yes, you're after that 9,000th post, eh? Only a few days more ...and you'll have it. And it'll be well deserved.)

ecocks

imported post

Hope people in Virginia are working to put in someone who actually understands the Constitution and the needs of the people he is supposed to represent.