Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Stopped by a Charlotte Bicycle Officer

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    I was stopped by a Charlotte Bicycle Officer this past week, I had my gun in the car
    so, I put it on the dash while I was pulling off to the side of the road.
    As the cop walked up He said good afternoon And asked if I had a permit
    for my handgun (I'm thinking He mean't a CCP)
    I said No, Then Another bike officer showed up ran my gun and began taking the ammo out of my clip,
    Officer one came back and asked If I was 21
    He tried to say I had to be 21 to posses a Gun, So I showed him my
    PPP to prove that I could Posses a handgun. After they came to the conclusion
    nothing on me was Illegal, Officer one wrote me a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

    He didn't even Hand Me my gun back, He just asked could I unlock the trunk
    from inside the car I said yes he Said ok to go ahead and open it.
    He said He was gonna put my weapon back there (In the trunk)
    and for me to get it out after I pull away when it was safe to do So.

    Is this standard operating procedure?

    I Don't have any points on my License Nor ever been stopped by a LEO, is it pretty normal
    to get a Citation for a moving violation for a first offense like this?

    Just wondering, Thanks Jason.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    379

    Post imported post

    There's no accounting for if an officer will ticket you for something like that. Some people manage to find friendly officers who give them warnings. I've only ever managed to get off with a warning once.

    They should not be running numbers on your weapon and you should complain to their department about this. There was no reason to run it.

    Also, I would not personally open my trunk for them. I don't feel that it is reasonable and it is, in my opinion, a bit of fishing since they can't require to open your trunk for them.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    If you open your trunk, you may as well give permission to search.

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    k-town river rat wrote:
    If you open your trunk, you may as well give permission to search.
    Excellent point. It's a LEO maneuver to get a free look-see in the trunk, right?

    I wonder what would happen if the citizen would insist that he didn't want the trunk to be opened but rather wanted the handgun returned to him in the passenger compartment?

    I swear, it is apparent that a hefty part of thetraffic stop modelis to search stuff or people.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    225

    Post imported post

    Once he wrote me a citation I would of went into defensive mode. Nothing else he could cite me for. I would of stated that I would like to retain the pistol on my dash so that I have access to it for my defense. I would of refused to open my trunk. I would of also complained.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    See I was thinking the whole time unless he had a firm belief
    That I had committed a crime or was about to commit a crime they couldn't run my gun But my Uncle who was with me said He has been stopped many times through the years and ever cop that pulled him ran his gun So I didn't say anything I wasn't 100% sure If I was right.

    Had I been alone where the Cop could have put the weapon on the passenger seat So he wouldn't have to hand it back to me but just leave it in the seat I probably would NOT have opened the trunk. I regret opening the trunk now, (Not trying to be a butt hole)
    The thing is When the Cop that ran my gun put it in the trunk He pulled a tote out I had in there and opened it and I SEEN him with my own eyes and so did my Uncle looking in it ANd when My uncle turned around and was watching him he put it back in.
    The thing is the tote he pulled out had my extra ammo ear plugs and a fixed blade knife and a pocket knife I had in there from going to target Practice.
    He claimed he put my Gun in there so it wouldn't roll around in the trunk and get beat up but when I stopped to get my gun out he had put JUST my CLIP in the tote and my gun was just laying open in the trunk.

    I feel like the whole reason he wrote me up was Because I had the gun He wasn't to happy about me having it and He talked/asked more ?'s about it then me running the stopped sign (Which I didn't even do and I have a witness)

    I feel (JUst my feeling) He wrote me up because He had already ran me in and He knew he couldn't get me for a weapons charge Because I had the ppp to prove I could posses a gun.



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    225

    Post imported post

    I would of just said that I would rather keep it in the front of the cab with me.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    379

    Post imported post

    They don't have any reason to deny you your property if you won't open the trunk. It's apparent that he was trying to get a free look for evidence. I would make a bit of a stink about them running your numbers and looking through your belongings without permission.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    Hot rod, here is the question on running the gun. What probable cause did the LEO possess that lead him to believe the gun was stolen? The only reason to run the numbers is to see if it's stolen. My question is what PC allows them to do this. I believe they don't have PC and just rely on folks letting them do it. It bugs me to no end. I would contact the office. You may not get far, but it's worth a shot.

    The trunk thing is ridiculous but better than some I have heard. ON the ground, on a newspaper rack, 15 ft away out of reach and out of your control. Yeah, that's a great idea.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    434

    Post imported post

    I've had three encounters over the years where they called in my serial numbers to check the pistols. Ridiculous.

    And why did he ask you if you were 21? A: 18 is legal to possess a pistol in NC. B: It was a traffic stop didn't he already have your DL?

    And I wouldn't have opened the trunk either remotely or otherwise for him.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

    I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    @ ChiefJason I'm not sure why He ran the gun (Just fishing I guess) I had not had any behavior for him to feel like I was a criminal or No illegal actions or anything.

    He did ask if I had anymore weapons in the car or Illegal Contraband ETC in the vehicle which in returned I replied I have a pocket knife Thats it And no to ANY illegal items.


    @ Smith45acp
    I'm guessing either the cop didn't know you could posses a handgun at 18 or two He was gonna try (Had I not spoke up) to get me for a weapons charge and Had I not known that I could posses and had my ppp in the car He probably would have charged me with it.
    Yes He had my DL and thats what kinda bugged me because he knew I wasnt 21 I thought maybe he was trying to see if I would lie to him.


    My brother in laws Best friend got pulled out side of sanford when he was 18 (2years ago) and had his dads handgun in the car and the trooper tried to take his weapon and the guy had to call his dad.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    The other thing I didn't understand why would He ask me if I had a permit for my gun IF It was open on the dash?

  13. #13
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Smith45acp wrote:
    I've had three encounters over the years where they called in my serial numbers to check the pistols. Ridiculous.
    Ridiculous and unlawful.

    And I wouldn't have opened the trunk either remotely or otherwise for him.
    Also an unlawful requirement. They can request it and you can deny them the PRIVILEGE of inspecting your property and person.

    If they make a demand, you make sure to tell them that it is being done without your consent. Carry a voice recorder. Sue them for 4th Amendment violations.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  14. #14
    State Researcher .40 Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    COTEP FOREVER!, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,379

    Post imported post

    So... you think you're going to open the trunk next time?

    You're lucky they didn't take your ammo (which has happened to a few of the members here). It is also illegal for them to do so, but they try to get away with it if they can. Stand your ground, know your rights, and don't be afraid to use the law when it is in your favor.

    F oppression!

  15. #15
    bgreene89
    Guest

    Post imported post

    hotrod8812 wrote:
    I was stopped by a Charlotte Bicycle Officer this past week, I had my gun in the car
    so, I put it on the dash while I was pulling off to the side of the road.
    As the cop walked up He said good afternoon And asked if I had a permit
    for my handgun (I'm thinking He mean't a CCP)
    I said No, Then Another bike officer showed up ran my gun and began taking the ammo out of my clip,
    Officer one came back and asked If I was 21
    He tried to say I had to be 21 to posses a Gun, So I showed him my
    PPP to prove that I could Posses a handgun. After they came to the conclusion
    nothing on me was Illegal, Officer one wrote me a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

    He didn't even Hand Me my gun back, He just asked could I unlock the trunk
    from inside the car I said yes he Said ok to go ahead and open it.
    He said He was gonna put my weapon back there (In the trunk)
    and for me to get it out after I pull away when it was safe to do So.

    Is this standard operating procedure?

    I Don't have any points on my License Nor ever been stopped by a LEO, is it pretty normal
    to get a Citation for a moving violation for a first offense like this?

    Just wondering, Thanks Jason.
    Hey I was just browsing through and this interested me. Me and my dad run a gun shop out side the city limits of Ayden,N.C.. And I am also taking criminal justice degree at Pitt Community College. I will say that the way this LEO acted was not normal I can understand his point of view wanting to put it in the trunk area for his safety. But at the same time you should not have popped your trunk for him because that's like saying here look in my trunk officer. No officer should have started running number's on your gun unless you had done something wrong. Also, as I posted up on this forum a while back only few officers has the common sense to know that you can OC at the age of 18. Which is part of the reason I don't open carry. I will say your PPP probably saved you from getting a ticket that was isn't even legal to write. And if you didn't run the stop sign I would complain to his upper authority and take it to the D.A. if they did not want to drop it I would speak with a Lawyer.


    Thanks,
    Blake

  16. #16
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    The REAL reason that LEO wanted you to pop the trunk had NOTHING to do with "officer safety". If he was concerned with his safety, he could have just held on to your pistol until he was don, and then returned it to you unloaded, and tossed your magazine and unloaded ammo in the back seat.

    The REAL reason he asked you to pop the trunk was what is know in the legal world as a "fishing expedition". By opening your trunk, you give him consent to look around back there, which amounted to a warrantless (and unjustified search) of your private property.

    He should be reported, and a formal complaint filed.
    .
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggressionŚand this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    The REAL reason that LEO wanted you to pop the trunk had NOTHING to do with "officer safety". If he was concerned with his safety, he could have just held on to your pistol until he was don, and then returned it to you unloaded, and tossed your magazine and unloaded ammo in the back seat.

    The REAL reason he asked you to pop the trunk was what is know in the legal world as a "fishing expedition". By opening your trunk, you give him consent to look around back there, which amounted to a warrantless (and unjustified search) of your private property.

    He should be reported, and a formal complaint filed.
    .

    He did Hold on to my weapon until He wrote me the ticket,
    Thats when he had me pop the trunk was after he done handed me the ticket and license back.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    .40 Cal wrote:
    So... you think you're going to open the trunk next time?

    You're lucky they didn't take your ammo (which has happened to a few of the members here).┬* It is also illegal for them to do so, but they try to get away with it if they can.┬* Stand your ground, know your rights, and don't be afraid to use the law when it is in your favor.┬*

    F oppression!

    NO! LOL I will NOT open the trunk the next time.
    I should have NEVER did it in the frist place

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    Smith45acp wrote:
    I've had three encounters over the years where they called in my serial numbers to check the pistols.┬* Ridiculous.
    Ridiculous and unlawful.

    And I wouldn't have opened the trunk either remotely or otherwise for him.
    Also an unlawful requirement.┬* They can request it and you can deny them the PRIVILEGE of inspecting your property and person.

    If they make a demand, you make sure to tell them that it is being done without your consent.┬* Carry a voice recorder.┬* Sue them for 4th Amendment violations.
    I already have a voice recorder and had it with me that day but someone in my family at some point and time took my battery's out Which I didnt find out until I felt this traffic stop going south and I got it out of the dash to cut it on.

    Now I'm gonna start carrying it with my gun!
    Lesson learned! LOL

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, ,
    Posts
    147

    Post imported post



    Hidden voice recorder in my weapon....$$$

    Also if I could offer some advice? When we decide to carry whether we like it or not we represent each other. Something I learned here, what you are referring to as a "clip" is actually a magazine. Wouldn't want to make us look bad by saying the word "clip" in front of someone who knows the difference and is anti 2A.

    Now that I think about it, I've learned a LOT here. Thank you OC.org!

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Sam wrote:
    Thank you OC.com!
    Still a lot to learn.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, ,
    Posts
    147

    Post imported post

    Whoops!

    I fixed it.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Sam wrote:

    if I could offer some advice? When we decide to carry whether we like it or not we represent each other.┬* Something I learned here, what you are referring to as a "clip" is actually a magazine.┬* Wouldn't want to make us look bad by saying the word "clip" in front of someone who knows the difference and is anti 2A.

    Now that I think about it, I've learned a LOT here.┬* Thank you OC.com!


    It sure is a good thing that there isn't any anti's on this site.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    hotrod8812 wrote:
    I was stopped by a Charlotte Bicycle Officer this past week, I had my gun in the car
    so, I put it on the dash while I was pulling off to the side of the road.
    As the cop walked up He said good afternoon And asked if I had a permit
    for my handgun (I'm thinking He mean't a CCP)
    I said No, Then Another bike officer showed up ran my gun and began taking the ammo out of my clip,
    Officer one came back and asked If I was 21
    He tried to say I had to be 21 to posses a Gun, So I showed him my
    PPP to prove that I could Posses a handgun. After they came to the conclusion
    nothing on me was Illegal, Officer one wrote me a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

    He didn't even Hand Me my gun back, He just asked could I unlock the trunk
    from inside the car I said yes he Said ok to go ahead and open it.
    He said He was gonna put my weapon back there (In the trunk)
    and for me to get it out after I pull away when it was safe to do So.

    Is this standard operating procedure?

    I Don't have any points on my License Nor ever been stopped by a LEO, is it pretty normal
    to get a Citation for a moving violation for a first offense like this?

    Just wondering, Thanks Jason.
    I'm not from North Carolina -- what is a PPP ???

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, ,
    Posts
    147

    Post imported post

    PPP = Pistol Purchase Permit. They are 5 bucks each. If you have a Concealed Weapons Permit you don't need to purchase a Pistol Purchase Permit in order to purchase a pistol (or any handgun).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •