• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Apparently the Deputy Sheriff's in Autauga County think OC is illegal!!

DJDD

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
DJDD wrote:
Can we just cut the bull s h i t here? I've stated what I'm going to do. All you can continue to do is point out what should have/could have/would have happened. What's happened has happened. Do you want me to go back in time and change stuff? If you've got that capability I'll gladly sell you some waterfront property in Arizona.

I operated in what I thought was the safest manner. Found out it wasn't so no more shooting there until it is. You guys happy or do I need to go kiss the guy's ass as well?

Go kiss his a$$, but let me know first so that I can film it. We'd make a fortune selling it.:celebrate

The first incident was negligent, but then you took steps to, you thought, rectify the situation. When that proved to not be sufficient, you are now taking other steps. Good for you.

Many long years ago, I had a little J.C.Higgins .22 single shot rifle. My uncles, rest their souls, impressed firearm safetyon the seat of my britches. We still had neighbors that claimed I shot their house, their car, their dog, their cat, and their kid. Never mind that they could not show Dad or myself a holein any of the above.

The moral of that little story is be very careful of what you do from now on. You are on the cops' radar and you may have one of those neighbors who just wants to cause trouble for a gun owner.

Sounds good to me, I can just build my own indoor shooting range with the money. :monkey

I'll be stopping by his place tomorrow morning to apologize and look at the damage. As for the cops, I'm not too worried about them. I'm friends with a couple Stateys and other Deputies. I talked to one of each last night and they both informed me that they knew OC is legal. The Statey joked that he could charge me for disorderly conduct if he saw me. Apparently the deputy who came out to the house is pretty much against anyone other than LEO having weapons. If you're ever in Autauga county and get pulled over by Deputy John T. Pigford, please pass along a tri-fold.

eye95

imported post

Ya know, it's too bad it's Tuesday. We'd've had a lot to talk about if your story, my story, and the other two on AOC had happened before Starbucks Sunday.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
DJDD wrote:
Can we just cut the bull s h i t here? I've stated what I'm going to do. All you can continue to do is point out what should have/could have/would have happened. What's happened has happened. Do you want me to go back in time and change stuff? If you've got that capability I'll gladly sell you some waterfront property in Arizona.

I operated in what I thought was the safest manner. Found out it wasn't so no more shooting there until it is. You guys happy or do I need to go kiss the guy's ass as well?

Go kiss his a$$, but let me know first so that I can film it. We'd make a fortune selling it.:celebrate

The first incident was negligent, but then you took steps to, you thought, rectify the situation. When that proved to not be sufficient, you are now taking other steps. Good for you.

Many long years ago, I had a little J.C.Higgins .22 single shot rifle. My uncles, rest their souls, impressed firearm safetyon the seat of my britches. We still had neighbors that claimed I shot their house, their car, their dog, their cat, and their kid. Never mind that they could not show Dad or myself a holein any of the above.

The moral of that little story is be very careful of what you do from now on. You are on the cops' radar and you may have one of those neighbors who just wants to cause trouble for a gun owner.

I like your point of view. He made a mistake, attempted to fix it. It didn't work, he's trying again. Bravo! I've also had neighbors claim I shot their house but would not show proof, so I know where you're coming from. but...

My concern is his attitude toward the situation. All he seems to care about is what the officer said, but everyone else reading his post completely misses that because of his actions. "Negligent and gun" don't live in the same house for many reasons.

Also, he's upset because we keep talking about it. Unless you want every one's opinion, don't post it. Look at any post on this site and you'll see what happens. Also, the officer was just misinformed and all you needed to do was talk to him about it. Nothing happened so.... we are discussing your negligence.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DJDD wrote:

You operated in an unsafe manner, made light of it, supplied excuses and did not accept appropriate responsibility for your actions - then did it all over again.

You brought this to our attention - didn't like the responses - and replied in a derogatory manner.

If you do not like the negative attention from your neighbor, local LE or posters on this board; you have no one to blame but yourself.

Nice reputation you are accumulating here, sir.

Yata hey

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

DJDD wrote:
Yes it is and I have verified it. Deputy John T. Pigford.
No wonder he has a chip on his shoulder. Probably became a cop so that he could be the one with the gun. Never get called 'Piggy' again, and all that. You and your 'rights' had to get in his way. :banghead:

So what are your plans for the berm? Are you going to make it look like an official range, or just do a backstop?

DJDD

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
DJDD wrote:
Yes it is and I have verified it. Deputy John T. Pigford.
No wonder he has a chip on his shoulder. Probably became a cop so that he could be the one with the gun. Never get called 'Piggy' again, and all that. You and your 'rights' had to get in his way. :banghead:

So what are your plans for the berm? Are you going to make it look like an official range, or just do a backstop?

Gonna make it official. Still researching the best ways to make a berm but it will be at least 10' high by 40' wide. There will be a backstop in front of the berm made of 3/4" plywood sheets with a high density foam between. I'll also have shooting benches as well. Since I mainly shoot handguns I'm only going to make the distance to target 25yds. The targets will be movable from 3yds to 25yds.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Did you ever inspect the neighbors shed and offer to repair the damage? Nobody here is in the wrong except you man. If it were me, the first thing I would do is try to repair any damage that I caused and also inform the neighbor there will be no more shooting until a berm is constructed and apologize to him. I would be pretty pissed if you shot 2 holes in my shed and never even bothered to make it right. I don't care if your personal range is 50 acres away from me. That is a MUCH bigger deal than the typical uneducated LEO. You seem to want this to "die out" without even seeing this from your neighbor's perspective. You damaged property that is not yours (allegedly). You should find out if it's correct and make it right.

I am completely blown away that YOU are pissed off about this. There seems to be an overwhelming lack of respect for the capability of firearms, whether directly or indirectly. This reminds me of the recent story of LEO's unloading 42 rounds into a hijacked car that housed a bank robber, ignoring, or not knowing about the 2 children in the back seat and the mother held hostage in the front seat. Bullets can penetrate, ricochet and even redirect their course. Nobody is responsible for where the bullet goes except the shooter. Remember the "don't aim at anything you are not willing to destroy" rule? This should also be accepted in an indirect sense as well. In this particular instance, you should thank God that your neighbor was not in his shed and got injured, or worse. Nothing is more valuable than human life, so that's one thing to be thankful of, but you are still responsible for any property damage.

After reading your posts, I would never even associate with someone such as yourself while you are armed (starbucks or shooting range), and furthermore, I feel pity for your neighbor and would hate to be in his shoes.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

He's already made plans to speak to the neighbor and inspect damages. He's already apologized to the neighbor, and he's already said no more shooting at all until he gets the proper safety equipment in place. What more do you want from the guy?

Do you want an apology to all open carriers for his 'tarnishing our image'? If so, let me go get a list of people who I feel have made us look bad, and we can hold our breaths together. The fact of the matter is that the neighbor asked them to shoot another direction, which he did. When the neighbor discovered more damage/bullets he apparently called the police before talking with DJDD again. He had every right to do this. If DJDD is mad that his neighbor didn't want to talk to him about it, then that's his business. What he did may not have been the best or safest choice, but it was a reasonable accommodation made at the request of a neighbor. If the police had thought it was reckless, they would have said so and arrested him. DJDD was acting, and as far as I can tell is still acting, in good faith. Sometimes that just has to be enough.

That being said... DJDD, I think you are handling things just fine with your neighbor, but the attitude on the forum has really hurt your side of the story. Past is past, but try to remember that in the future. :) Looking forward to 'associating' with you again. Maybe I'll drive down to one of the Montgomery meet-ups, then we can all go to a range together.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
He's already made plans to speak to the neighbor and inspect damages. He's already apologized to the neighbor, and he's already said no more shooting at all until he gets the proper safety equipment in place. What more do you want from the guy?

Do you want an apology to all open carriers for his 'tarnishing our image'? If so, let me go get a list of people who I feel have made us look bad, and we can hold our breaths together. The fact of the matter is that the neighbor asked them to shoot another direction, which he did. When the neighbor discovered more damage/bullets he apparently called the police before talking with DJDD again. He had every right to do this. If DJDD is mad that his neighbor didn't want to talk to him about it, then that's his business. What he did may not have been the best or safest choice, but it was a reasonable accommodation made at the request of a neighbor. If the police had thought it was reckless, they would have said so and arrested him. DJDD was acting, and as far as I can tell is still acting, in good faith. Sometimes that just has to be enough.

That being said... DJDD, I think you are handling things just fine with your neighbor, but the attitude on the forum has really hurt your side of the story. Past is past, but try to remember that in the future. :) Looking forward to 'associating' with you again. Maybe I'll drive down to one of the Montgomery meet-ups, then we can all go to a range together.
I suppose I may have missed that in the OP's posts then. I did not read anywhere that he said he apologized, or planned to inspect and repair any damaged property. All I read was the he planned to continue shooting and acted pissed that his neighbor would dare call LE.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

DJDD wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
DJDD wrote:

Sounds good to me, I can just build my own indoor shooting range with the money. :monkey

I'll be stopping by his place tomorrow morning to apologize and look at the damage. As for the cops, I'm not too worried about them. I'm friends with a couple Stateys and other Deputies. I talked to one of each last night and they both informed me that they knew OC is legal. The Statey joked that he could charge me for disorderly conduct if he saw me. Apparently the deputy who came out to the house is pretty much against anyone other than LEO having weapons. If you're ever in Autauga county and get pulled over by Deputy John T. Pigford, please pass along a tri-fold.
Good for you. It is often hard to admit that you made a mistake. I am glad that you are correcting it. The berm is a really good idea, because you may not be able to monitor what is out in the field all of the time. Those big, heavy, round nosed .45 bullets can ricochet quite a bit.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

^^^ Right up there in the post with the monkey. He said he was going to go 'tomorrow', which is now 3 days ago. :shock: Hope everything went well. Maybe he's busy promoting his video. :p

Mt. Man

imported post

If you look at it from his spoint of view, he asked you once and the rounds kept coming. What else was he going to do. Confront a guy with a gun in his hand and ask him not to shoot at him any more? Besides, what if he was out working in his field and you being on the other side of that stand of trees didn't know it and you shot him? Those rounds should have never made it to his place or across his property the first time or ever. You need to KNOW where your rounds are going. Not just guess there is no one in the way. I shoot on my property all the time too, but I shoot wit a back drop of a stump, backed by a dirt bank. Ya gotta be safe! Safe beyound any doubt, or you could wind up behind bars for killing somebody.

jaiotu

imported post

Long dead issues have a tendency to resurrect themselves in forums like this. It's just part and parcel of the internet. Could DJDD have done more to avoid his neighbor's wrath? Certainly. Hindsight being 20/20 and all of that.

This post is actually very informative regarding the risks associated with operating a range on your own property and how doing so most certainly will raise the cackles of at least one neighbor. People just don't like to hear gunshots near their homes... even in the country.

Lesson learned on the road of life. Move along.

eye95

imported post

It was just a request. I know DJDD thinks the issue has been laid to rest.

I am hoping that folks stop bombarding him with criticism. Nothing can be said that hasn't been said.

While I know that folks bring up dead topics all the time on the 'Net, I still hope to motivate folks to read entire dormant threads before reviving them. Had that been done in this case, the guy with the defibrillator would've noticed other comments mirroring his and may have chosen not to be repetitive.

It was just a request.

jaiotu

imported post

It's a good request. Just pointing out that, on the internet, no topic is ever really truely left in the past. I've seen discussion threads reopen after YEARS of inactivity. What happens, like in this case, is that someone reads the first comment and then makes a reply of their own... without reading the full thread. Requesting that people let the thread die does little to help, since new readers won't read the request before firing off a reply. It would be better if there was some simple way of closing the thread to new comments. Everything that could be said has been said.