• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig Sauer Mosquito

jdandria

imported post

I just recently purchased a Sig Mosquito just to play with for fun. I have had it for about two weeks now and have had nothing but trouble with it since day 1.

Constantly jamming. Failure to feed, failure to eject, etc... Has anyone else had these issues with this gun? I am having it sent back to Sig today for repair 2 weeks after purchasing it.

45acpForMe

imported post

While I have had no personal experience with the Mosquito, what I heard was it does not live up to the quality of the Sig Sauer name. For whatever reason many people have/had problems with it. I own other Sig's but not that one. I picked up a walther P22 for my kids to practice with. It is too small for my hands but I see that Sig started making .22 conversion kits for some of its other models.

I would try to get them to fix it for you and hopefully the bugs get worked out.

Broondog

imported post

do you have the correct recoil spring installed? NIB they come with one for standard velocity loads and one for high velocity loads. just a thought.

when i first got mine i took it out and it gave me the same fits you are having. when i actually read the book (yeah, sometimes instructions are useful) i realized that i had the wrong spring in it. i switched them around and the pistol has run almost flawlessly.

sevenplusone

imported post

Have you tried multiple types of ammunition? .22 autos have a knack for being ammo finicky. What kind are you using currently? For example, a lot of semi-auto .22s do not like lead ammo w/o a jacket or at least a copper wash on the outside. They will often deform the bullet or hang up during feeding.

What types of jams specifically?

Pace

imported post

1) You must keep it clean, period. It has low tolerance for not being cleaned.
2) You must have high FPS ammo 1000+. Mini Mag by CCI work.
3) Keep the slide well oiled.

The problem is that the slide, the mechanism very heavy!!!

I had same problems, no longer.

jdandria wrote:
I just recently purchased a Sig Mosquito just to play with for fun. I have had it for about two weeks now and have had nothing but trouble with it since day 1.

Constantly jamming. Failure to feed, failure to eject, etc... Has anyone else had these issues with this gun? I am having it sent back to Sig today for repair 2 weeks after purchasing it.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They are very picky when it comes to ammunition. I use the Federal 550rd brick you can buy at Walmart. I rarely have issues with that particular ammunition. Also like another post said you have to keep it very clean. I do have the limited edition desert camo model, so they might have made some modifications from the standard model?

Deathwing_Kingstar

imported post

I use a mosquito for my OC'ing. ive fired about 1,500 rounds through it with only 1 jam. i use Winchester Hollow - points. just remember the mosquito is a DA/SA pistol so if you mess up the first pull when you fire a new mag the gun will jam.

groovedrummer

imported post

Pace wrote:
1) You must keep it clean, period. It has low tolerance for not being cleaned.
2) You must have high FPS ammo 1000+. Mini Mag by CCI work.
3) Keep the slide well oiled.

The problem is that the slide, the mechanism very heavy!!!

I had same problems, no longer.

jdandria wrote:

+1

The Wolfhound

imported post

They are picky about ammo. We consider ours to be an excelent trainer. Sure we get jams, now we get practice clearing them. It may lose that feature when it gets fully broken in (about 200-250 rounds so far). Good advice given in the other posts too.

DynoLA

imported post

Bought mine on Christmas 2009. It came with a statement and coupon from Sig saying the Mosquito was tested with CCI Mini Mag ammo. That was the only ammo they recommend using in it. The coupon was for a free box of CCI Mini Mags. Mine shoots very well with no feed or eject problems if I keep it clean and use CCI Mini Mags. I've tried 6 other types of ammo, they have alot of FTF and FTE problems.

Tazman2

imported post

I have a FXXXXXX serial # series that is probably 1+ years old (I bought it used) and I'm assuming yours is at least a F or higher as the earlier A and B ones had ALOT of problems. As mentioned use the High Velocity Minimags and the High Velocity spring and eventually after 100-200 rounds it should be broken in and the feeding issues should go away. I use grease in mine but then again mine was at least semi broken in when I bought it and I've had ZERO failures with mine! :)

Aryk45XD

imported post

I use CCI minimags in mine. When I first got mine it contantly jammed and didn't feed correctly. I keep it super clean and well oiled. Once I took a file to the feed ramp, all the problems disappeared. Once in a while after a bit of shooting, I still get a FTF, but it's not too big of an issue. I love my mosquito and it's made me seriously consider getting the 226 for carry. I may even trade in my XD.
nah.

ETA: I guess I've broken mine in by now. (over 1K rnds) so I'm on the lookout for good bulk ammo.

Tazman2

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
I use CCI minimags in mine. When I first got mine it contantly jammed and didn't feed correctly. I keep it super clean and well oiled. Once I took a file to the feed ramp, all the problems disappeared. Once in a while after a bit of shooting, I still get a FTF, but it's not too big of an issue. I love my mosquito and it's made me seriously consider getting the 226 for carry. I may even trade in my XD.
nah.

ETA: I guess I've broken mine in by now. (over 1K rnds) so I'm on the lookout for good bulk ammo.
I've shot about 200 rds in one session but I run grease and not oil that dries up and the mosquitos HATE running dry thus why they mention to add more oil on extended range use. Also, comparing the Mosquito to a P226, etc. is like comparing a yugo to a ferrari! Only thing is the newer Sigs for lack of a better word suck. I have a 15+ year old P228 that I bought used for my 1st pistol and doing 200+ rds in between cleanings and NO issues but once again its a older one and from many MANY forum postings on a certain Sig forum you see ALOT of problems with the new Sigs sooooooo... Keep your XD either way! :p

Aryk45XD

imported post

thanks. I almost always run about 200rnds, so I'll try the grease. Didn't know about the new sig problems though. I'm definitely keeping the XD and getting another in full size. The XD is tough, but I kind of wish I had a safety for the times I'm handling it.

Tazman2

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
thanks. I almost always run about 200rnds, so I'll try the grease. Didn't know about the new sig problems though. I'm definitely keeping the XD and getting another in full size. The XD is tough, but I kind of wish I had a safety for the times I'm handling it.
In case it matters I now run slide glide lite in ALL my firearms. Had the remington stuff before it was discontinued but its tons thicker then the lite and I don't trust that for reliability especially in the cooler weather! Safeties are nice but when your stressed and in a bad situation its one more thing to forget. Just be safe and check the firearm each and EVERY time when handling it! The only other firearm I have that has a safety is also always set to fire as none of my carries have safeties aside from the one in between my ears and my paranoia! :)

Aryk45XD

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
I use CCI minimags in mine. :::snip:::

I guess I should have said cheap bulk ammo.
ETA: I have a different firearm for each and any occasion I'll need. Lol, Grandpa and Dad wouldn't have it any other way. Everyone should, IMO, carry locked and cocked. Another great advantage is knowing it's ready and not making a mistake.

Deathwing_Kingstar

imported post

i use cci mini mags or remington golden bulllets (value pack) never had a problem with mine, i use industrial white grease for the slide, oil tends not to lubricate enough. just make sure the gun has been broken into properly and it should operate just fine.