• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Your Help

TOF

imported post

Did she pick it or did you?

Ultra lights are nice to carry but not so nice to shoot enough to be good with one.

I hope it works for you.

GF

imported post

She picked it. We both decided that although it is quite ugly...it was a good idea to have it hammerless being that it is going to be inside her purse. And if God forbid that she does have to use it, she could shoot from inside the purse without worrying about snaggin' on anything. I do believe that this is the best choice though, and we are just going to make sure to be consistent with range time and making sure she gets the shots where she wants them.

Thoreau

imported post

GF wrote:
And if God forbid that she does have to use it, she could shoot from inside the purse without worrying about snaggin' on anything.
Be sure to practice THAT idea. Hitting a target with the sights in line with your eyes can be difficult enough on a range, let alone under stress. Shooting, essentially, from the hip I would suspect to DECREASE accuracy rather than increase it.

That said though, nice firearm that I'm sure will serve her well for a LONG time =)

GF

imported post

Shooting, essentially, from the hip I would suspect to DECREASE accuracy rather than increase it.
I am well aware that shooting from the hip will greatly decrease the accuracy, but I was just using the scenario of having someone just a couple feet in front. I'm sure that if they are close enough, they are going to have a couple nice holesfor souvenirs :lol:.

We-the-People

imported post

With a new person and particularly a female who will be carrying in her purse I would recommend a HAMMERLESS (or more correctly an internal hammer) 38 special revolver BUT as others have pointed out......let her pick the firearm after firing several sizes and calibers.

Th advantage of a non exposed hammer wheel gun (revolver) for a female carrying in a purse is that she can get off multiple shots without worrying about the hammer being interfered with by snagging on something.

ALSO, if that is how she is going to carry, get her a purse specifically designed for concealed carry so that the weapon is in it's own partition of the purse, well secured, and not getting exposed to all the "dirt and crumbs" that are inevitable in a womans pruse no matter how clean she thinks it is......and do NOT tell her that her dirty purse is not the proper place to carry, rather explain the safety issues. (no need to piss her off by telling her her purse is full of crap).

Another important item for anyone who is helping a female enter the CC "scene" is to really impress upon her that the purse must be kept ON HER. No more sitting it in the shopping cart and turning to look at the merchandise. This is a very difficult habit for some, already "built in" with others.

It is part of the whole "this is serious" mentality that must be maintained when carrying.

lostone1413

imported post

Read in one forum the guy wrote

You show your Friends your Sig and your Colt
You show your enemies your Glock

But if she hasn't handled guns much I might stay away from the Glock. Then again I wouldn't want a ton of safeties I'd have to take off if my life was in danger.

What was it Cooper use to say I thing it was a safe gun is a useless gun

Get her into allot of shooting first then you might be able to make a better choice

We-the-People

imported post

Well criminies. I see that I posted recommending that you get a hammerless AFTER you'd already picked it out and gotten it.

The 642 is nice, it's the one my wife carries in her purse. On bit of advice is that she donate an old purse to the "effort" of training and practice actually shooting from the purse while it's in a position that it's likely to be in if she were actually having to do so in self defense. It won't be the same as from a "holster purse" but much closer to reality that just shooting from the hip.

The more realistic your training is, the more likely the results in an actual scenario will be close to the results of your training. i.e. where the rounds are hitting.

I'd also recommend picking up at least one speed loader and having her practice doing that as well (and carrying it). 5 shots may only be enough to get her some room and a few moments of safety. Being able to reload in such a situation is very desireable to just having a small rock in your hand.

GF

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
On bit of advice is that she donate an old purse to the "effort" of training and practice actually shooting from the purse while it's in a position that it's likely to be in if she were actually having to do so in self defense.
That's a good idea, we have to make sure that we try that next time we go out to shoot. I'm also going to make sure to pick up a couple speed loaders up for her as well.

GF

imported post

Okay so I we finally got her firearm a last week and we were looking at speed loaders. One of my co-workers let me borrow that HKS 36 speed loader and I tried it but it does not work that well. It does not go all the way in because it seems that the grips are getting in the way. I tried looking online and have a hard time findinganything that helps.Do any of you have ones that work well (for those of you that have the 642, or know soemone that has one)?

We-the-People

imported post

My wife has the 642 and the HKS36 speedloaded.

Take a clost look and "feel".

It feels strange at first and appears that something is keeping the loader from going all the way in. When it stops can you press on it and feel something that seems to be "springy"?

That's how hers looks and feels but upon close examination you'll find that what is happening is the center of the speed loader is contacting the center pin (spring loaded) on the cylinder.

It is most definitely a close fit and it takes some practice but check to see if this is what is happening.

GF

imported post

My issue is not so much putting in the loader, the part that sucks is taking it out. It gets somewhat "stuck" and we have to sorta spin the cylinder to make all the rounds fall, then get the loader out. :question:

TOF

imported post

Does the left hand grip have a depression in the area the speed loader has to go?

Can you post a picture?

Different grips might help.

GF

imported post

I will make sure I post a picture when I get the chance. I dunno if changing grips would help, maybe it will though. It is the standard grips that it comes with, not C.T. or anything. I've never had a revolver before so maybe I am doing it wrong, but I thought it would be pretty simple :lol:.

doninvegas

imported post

Hi all, I have been sitting back reading some of these comments for a while now…I have carried a hand gun for over 40 years and taught fire arm safety for about 12 years, Plus Close quarter combat in the 60s.
I am a little disturbed by some of the advice freely given on this forum with regards to the firing solution of (firing through a purse). In my humble opinion, the SW 642 is a great wheel gun and quite acceptable for self defense. But the idea of learning to fire it through a purse should be thought out a little more.
First, anytime you restrict the muzzle of a weapon you run the chance of a dangerous situation accruing. The chance of hitting something is greatly reduced, but more importantly is the fact that when a bullet passes through an object (the side of the purse) it has a great tendency to be deflected.
So if the situation arise and you have to fire the weapon in self defense, you could just as easily hit the child walking a block away instead of the target.
You must have an acquired target in sight before you ever put your finger on the trigger. Better advice would be, practice drawing the weapon from the purse, acquiring a target, and then shoot if all else has failed.
Just my 2cents worth…

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You're right. Not a good idea to fire at anything you haven't aquired 'down the barrel' visually.

GF

imported post

You guys are right. It seemed like a good idea at the time but after actually thinking about it, practicing drawing from the purse would be a much, much better idea. Thanks.

We-the-People

imported post

You do have to use common sense. However, when the choices are to die or fire through a purse, I it my considered opinion that firing through the purse is more than acceptable.

Would you want to fire through a purse at an attacker 10 feet away? Of course not. But if he's standing directly in front of you with a knife and demanding the keys to your car, wallet, etc. OR he's approaching and you don't have time to get the weapon out, OR he's "on" you and you manage to get your hand to the weapon......It is entirely acceptable to fire through teh purse to save your own life.

The possibilities of an obstruction or of deflection are valid but the consequences of not firing because the weapon isn't fully drawn, in some situations, are far worse that the possible consequences of not firing.

To properly carry a firearm in a purse one should be using a purse designed for such use. These almost universally provide a separate section for the weapon to ensure that it is not exposed to the detrius found within womens purses, that nothing manages to lodge in the barrel, etc. My wifes holster purse places the firearm in the center of the purse within it's own dedicated section and is designed so that there is nothing between the barrel and widewall of the purse. Firing the weapon (which is the S&W 642 by the way), while not optimal, will provide sufficient accuracy and impact to put a round into an assailant.

What are the odds of finding oneself in such a situation? Miniscule at worst. On the other hand, how many of us train (and train and train and train) for the situations which have a very low probability of occurring? I would posit that every one of us who trains is training for a very unlikely situation. How many of us who run through mental drills of "what ifs" are considering situations that simply are not going to happen to us simply due to the law of averages? Again, I would posit that almost everyone who does such mental drills will never be in such a situation.

The reason for firing through the purse (which I suggested) was not to be able to hit the target 10 yards away but rather to get the feel for changes in impact location, recoil, the strangeness of not having the weapon at arms length, etc. The changes in impact not because of going through the purse material but becuase of the differences in "aiming" the weapon. For anyone who has done any "weak side" training I'm sure you noticed a distinct difference from strong side training. It's much like practicing to fire around the corner of a wall or other cover or concealment....firing around a cornerto your left allows use of strong side elements with which you're familiar while encountering the obstacle of the corner yet changing the corner to your right changes EVERYTHING. You're now holding the weapon in your left hand, trying to put it around the corner and sight with your left eye, and absolutely nothing feels the same. I would guess that not many defensive shooters have done any training in shooting around a corner..... if you have a wall between you and an attacker skedaddle....... but for those of us who have trained in these situations, being familiar with "non standard" situations can mean the difference between life and death.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with training for the possibility of firing through a holster for a close in (as in contact or very nearly contact) encounter. In a real situation, obviously it's much more advantageous if you can get the weapon fully deployed but sometimes you just don't have the opportunity. Yes it's rare, as I mentioned above, but so are all the other encounters that those of us who train for them may encounter.

Remember this. Train like you fight, fight like you train. I say this because there are documented cases of training methods having caused the death of people defending themselves because they reverted to training methods which were not realistic when tehy encountered a high stress shooting situation. One particular case that really demonstrates the point is a Calif Highway Patrolman who was shot to death by a suspect after running out of ammunition. Having emptied his revolver he began to reload. The suspect closed on the officers position of cover (behind his vehicle) and engaged at point blank range before the officer could reload. The TRAINING FAILURE was that as the officer removed his spent rounds he was neatly stacking them in a line as he had been trained to do on the practice range. The speedloader that he had never made it to his cylinder and so his weapon was not reloaded in time to defend himself. Had he not been standing his empty casings and lining them up, his speedloader would have already been in the weapon and he would have at least had a chance to re engage the perpetrator.

The CHP changed it's training as a result of that incident and insisted that officers dump their empties rapidly and haphazardly onto the ground and get their next set of rounds into battery.

I stand by my original premise to sacrifice a purse for the purpose of training.

TOF

imported post

I happen to agree with we-the-people on this issue. If all we practice is standing fully upright squarely facing our target and making absolutely certain the sights are aligned just so before placing our finger inside the trigger guard we will probably not survive our first encounter.

My buddies and I practice shooting from toes to nose as we draw, left corner, right corner, left hand right hand walking running, behind ourselves etc. As overweight as I am I occasionally flop on my belly and shoot from the ground. You will not know what is the best approach to use till you are faced with a situation.

If we don't end up in a situation we train for we will at least have had fun prior to being killed.

Practice and stay safe.