• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on college campus? Cali

the4ork

imported post

I decided to do a speech on why everyone should own a firearm for my speech class. The instructor was all for it and I explained I was planning on open carrying for the speech and explained to him what open carry is. He was still all for it! But I told him I wanted to make sure it was still legal to carry on campus

How can I double check to make sure it's legal? Where should I start first and where should I go from there?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

the4ork wrote:
I decided to do a speech on why everyone should own a firearm for my speech class. The instructor was all for it and I explained I was planning on open carrying for the speech and explained to him what open carry is. He was still all for it! But I told him I wanted to make sure it was still legal to carry on campus

How can I double check to make sure it's legal? Where should I start first and where should I go from there?
First you haven't indicated your state - state laws as well as college(?) rules vary.
It may be legal, but could still get you in hot water with the administration. Do you mean to imply that your instructor didn't discuss any of this with you? Strange.

This is a serious inquiry right? There is already reason to question that from your post.

Yata hey

the4ork

imported post

Sorry I put at the end of the question Cali, I'm in California. It's a small community college, I explained to the instructor what open carry was, and he had never heard of it. I then explained to him that I will make sure that it is legal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I good place to start - see the links:
http://www.opencarry.org/ca.html

I am by no means an expert in California's laws but I can generally tell you that unloaded OC is the only means in incorporated areas - see link above.

Further, I can not imagine any college or university in California not taking drastic action against you - did you not get a set of student Rules and Regulations? That is where I would start.

California is not known for their favorable laws regarding guns.

Yata hey

anthonyakadayday

imported post

the4ork wrote:
Sorry I put at the end of the question Cali, I'm in California. It's a small community college, I explained to the instructor what open carry was, and he had never heard of it. I then explained to him that I will make sure that it is legal.
You have to have permission from the college to UOC. If I could get permission from my college I would do it. You may have to talk to the dean.