• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calif. Gun Advocates Rally At Capitol

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

http://www.kcra.com/politics/23198721/detail.html

Group Opposes Bill To Ban Openly Carrying Unloaded Guns

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- With guns in holsters and rifles strapped to their chests, Second Amendment activists converged Monday outside California's Capitol to demonstrate their right to bear arms.

Most of the 50 protesters who gathered brought guns and rifles, although they said their weapons were not loaded to comply with the state's open-carry law.

"The Second Amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms," said rally organizer Kent Sandhagen, who wore a pistol in a leather holster on his hip.

Sandhagen, of Los Banos, said he and other gun owners organized the gathering to coincide with a similar rally in the nation's capital.

They also were protesting a bill pending in the California Legislature that would ban gun owners from openly carrying unloaded guns in public. One man carried a sign reading "Patriotic legislators do not permit infringement."

The bill by Democratic Assemblywoman Lori Saldana of San Diego is scheduled for a committee hearing Tuesday. She has described the proposed ban as a public safety issue.

It would make California the fourth state to ban people from wearing guns openly, according to the Legal Community Against Violence, a public interest law center based in San Francisco.

Ryan Johnston, a 32-year-old mechanic from Sacramento, said he doesn't make a habitat of carrying his Smith & Wesson rifle in public but made an exception for Monday's rally.

"It's more important that other people don't tell me not to," Johnston said. "I have a Constitutional right I need to exercise."

Only gun owners with a concealed-weapons permit can carry a loaded weapon in California, a restriction protesters also argue violates the Second Amendment.

The Saldana bill would not impact concealed-weapons permits. The proposed open-carry ban is backed by the California Police Chiefs Association.

Wc

imported post

From Poll: Do you think California should ban people from openly carrying unloaded firearms?

[align=left]Yes
1444592.gif
24%

No
1444592.gif
76%[/align]
http://www.kcra.com/politics/23198721/detail.html(not 1776 yet :lol:)

Nick Justice

imported post

50 people showed up? Hereare the problems/dilemmas:

It happened on a weekday. The legislature is there to see them, but most people have jobs, and could not attend without risking their jobs in some way.

If you hold a rally on a weekend, when more people can attend, the legislature is not there to see it.

50 people is not a lot.

I really wanted to go.I have a job and a family in So. Cal. I need the job because I have a family.I WRITE MY REPS ALL THE TIME.

ryanburbridge

imported post

I posted Info on this forum with an invitation to ride along with my wife and I from Long Beach. 50 people is better then none. I took a vacation day to drive up and back. Next year I would like to get more support. I was UOCing at this event and the CHP that checked my 1911 were very professional. Look forward to next year.

Gundude

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
I manage a small non-profit, and I upload the events list at the state capitol every week, as soon as they are available.

http://publicdocumentdistributors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

I saw the event listed, but communication from the person in charge was slow, and by the time I did get a return email I had made other plans.
Thanks for the info, but I don't want to buy WordPerfect. Maybe try some format besides .rtf

AyatollahGondola

imported post

Gundude wrote:
AyatollahGondola wrote:
I manage a small non-profit, and I upload the events list at the state capitol every week, as soon as they are available.

I saw the event listed, but communication from the person in charge was slow, and by the time I did get a return email I had made other plans.
Thanks for the info, but I don't want to buy WordPerfect. Maybe try some format besides .rtf
I don't see why you would need that. Download the file and open with wordpad or notepad.

Gundude

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
Gundude wrote:
AyatollahGondola wrote:

I don't see why you would need that. Download the file and open with wordpad or notepad.
I would like to read it, but I don't want to download it and then go hunt it up and delete it. Just call me lazy.