• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

He was a few shells shy of a full magazine

Rottie

imported post

Last week I was at the Taco Bell in Bountiful with Braveheart23C and another friend. I was OC while The others were CC. As we are waiting in line to order I notice a man and woman come in the door and get in line behind us. I hear the woman whisper something to the guy she is with and then gestures toward my hip. He looks over and then whispers something back. I order and stand by the drink machine waiting for my food. The couple order and then come over to get their drinks. The guy then turns to face me and asks "is that a nine?" I tell him no it is a .45. He then asks "who makes it?", to which I reply Springfield Armory. He then says "oh yeah, how did you get it to stop jamming"? I start to wonder to myself what is with this guy, he doesn't even know me much less know if my gun even has or has ever had a problem.

I tell him I have never had that particular firearm jam everand I have another Springfield, a TRP that also has never had any problems. He then says he has one and it jams all the time. I tell him to send it back as all Springfields have a lifetime warranty. He then tells me how he just got an old metal file and filed away at what he thought were the problem areas and now his works fine. He then goes on to tell me that he is now a "Ruger man" and "They are made 100% in the USA". I Congratulate him as I have no problems with rugers but I am also beginning to wonder if this guy isn't a few shells short of a full magazine. I did my best to show disinterest in furthering the conversation but he continues to talk.

The next thing I know he lifts the front of his shirt up to his sternum exposing a ruger p series pistol in .40 cal carried no holster in the front of his waistband. His pea shooter is pointed at his pee shooter. I realize that he is experiencing a failure to fire (not his gun but a few nuerons) and I am about to perform a quick tap rack proceedure on his skull when he finally lowers his shirt. No threat associated with the gesture and his other hand was occupied with holding food so he is obviously not trying to pull it on me, but I was surprised that he felt comfortable enough with an armedstranger to do that (although I am Quite friendly). He was very polite the entire time but did from the start seem a few rounds shy of that full mag and later confirmed it by lifting his shirt to expose his concealed firearm in the manner he did. As we left with our food I turned to the others and said "it just goes to show that you never know who is carrying nowdays exccept for those of us who OC."

Now I know this is not the wierdest experience out there but I am fairly new at the OC practice and wondered what your wierd experiences are. I'd like to hear them all from the funny to the down right scarry. Just share your experiences not criticize others please.

Porter N

imported post

I work at Wal-mart, and company policy is that i cant carry on the clock and in Idaho where i live, i cant have it in my car on company property if i'm going to be on the clock either. but on my days off, the managers are OK with me carrying in the store. I've worked at the store for just over one year, and I've only seen two OC-ers the whole time, even though I know there have been a lot more through the store - i just never ran into them. My managers don't have a problem with it, so unless a customer complains, OC'ers are left alone. But one particular day i was running a register up front, and i ask a middle-aged gentlemen how he's doing as he sets his blue basket up on my belt. he shakes his head and says in a surprisingly loud voice, "Ya' know, I just dont know what some people are thinkin these days! i was walkin' in the back isle, just buyin my bag of sugar, and some guy's got a f---'n .45 strapped to his hip!!" he slaps his hip loudly to add to his very animated gestures of shock. I just smile, and say "yeah. but you know what?" he looked at me, and i said "At least you can be assured that he's a good citizen with little to no criminal record - no felonies, and he's just trying to protect himself and the constitution and anyone else that may need protecting."

the guy looks at me and cocks his head to the side as i finish bagging his stuff. he looked deep in thought and i didnt want to derail his train of thought. i handed him his change from the bills he tossed down, and before he left he broke the somewhat odd silence by saying "Yeah. i never thought of that... you actually made me think!"

i didnt really know what to say to that.... but i think you put it perfectly. a few rounds short of a full mag.

Rottie

imported post

Your common sense reply was that mental tap and rack procedure I talked about in action. Good job! You may have gotten all his nuerons to fire even if only for a brief moment. :lol:Thanks for sharing your experience and thanks for the on topic reply!

PT111

imported post

There are lots of people that walk around with numerousneuron jams in their brain magazines carrying guns both OC and CC. And yes it it their absolute right to do that as much as it is yours, mine or any other person on this board. When I hear some talk about a LEO being suspicious of them or not treating them as if they were Mother Theresa I wonder how the LEO is supposed to know that they have the full plastic thingy to go with their six-pack.

There are a lot of people out there carrying guns that are not the perfectly safe, know and follow all the rules of gun control, type people. Yes they are out there, yes they give the rest of us a bad name, yes they have the same rights as anyone else, andyes we usually do not know who they are until some is hurt, What is the difference between ignorance and stupidity, ignorance can be cured.

Rottie

imported post

PT111 wrote:
There are lots of people that walk around with numerousneuron jams in their brain magazines carrying guns both OC and CC. And yes it it their absolute right to do that as much as it is yours, mine or any other person on this board. ...

PT111 You are right.I did not mean to imply the guy should not enjoy or exercise his right. However he did show poor judgement, (not reckless disregard, hence the few rounds shy and not empty magazine) and was quite pretentious. I can't imagine how that looked to the people seated at my weak side oblivious to my firearm and the context of the conversation to see this guy lift up his shirt and expose his gun not just to me but the entire restaurant. I don't hold any ill will for this guy as I stated above he was quite polite. That is why I titled it a wierd experience not a bad one.

I think I just highjacked my own thread:banghead:.

Back to the topic. PT111 what is your wierdest experience?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Rottie wrote:
Last week I was at the Taco Bell in Bountiful with Braveheart23C and another friend. I was OC while The others were CC. As we are waiting in line to order I notice a man and woman come in the door and get in line behind us. I hear the woman whisper something to the guy she is with and then gestures toward my hip. He looks over and then whispers something back. I order and stand by the drink machine waiting for my food. The couple order and then come over to get their drinks. The guy then turns to face me and asks "is that a nine?" I tell him no it is a .45. He then asks "who makes it?", to which I reply Springfield Armory. He then says "oh yeah, how did you get it to stop jamming"? I start to wonder to myself what is with this guy, he doesn't even know me much less know if my gun even has or has ever had a problem.

I tell him I have never had that particular firearm jam everand I have another Springfield, a TRP that also has never had any problems. He then says he has one and it jams all the time. I tell him to send it back as all Springfields have a lifetime warranty. He then tells me how he just got an old metal file and filed away at what he thought were the problem areas and now his works fine. He then goes on to tell me that he is now a "Ruger man" and "They are made 100% in the USA". I Congratulate him as I have no problems with rugers but I am also beginning to wonder if this guy isn't a few shells short of a full magazine. I did my best to show disinterest in furthering the conversation but he continues to talk.

The next thing I know he lifts the front of his shirt up to his sternum exposing a ruger p series pistol in .40 cal carried no holster in the front of his waistband. His pea shooter is pointed at his pee shooter. I realize that he is experiencing a failure to fire (not his gun but a few nuerons) and I am about to perform a quick tap rack proceedure on his skull when he finally lowers his shirt. No threat associated with the gesture and his other hand was occupied with holding food so he is obviously not trying to pull it on me, but I was surprised that he felt comfortable enough with an armedstranger to do that (although I am Quite friendly). He was very polite the entire time but did from the start seem a few rounds shy of that full mag and later confirmed it by lifting his shirt to expose his concealed firearm in the manner he did. As we left with our food I turned to the others and said "it just goes to show that you never know who is carrying nowdays exccept for those of us who OC."

Now I know this is not the wierdest experience out there but I am fairly new at the OC practice and wondered what your wierd experiences are. I'd like to hear them all from the funny to the down right scarry. Just share your experiences not criticize others please.
He probably just got his CC and is showing off how special he is to be an "Only One."

Kloutier

imported post

The first time I went to wal-mart after I got my XDM9 I went to the ammo section to see there prices and some old man comes up to me and asks "Is that real"... (off topic I get that question at the start of EVERY open carry discussion with the non armed public how about you guys) He starts saying that I will survive the end of the world and talks about how he protected his Tent (yes tent) against earth quakes. I made an excuse and left as soon as I could. Never did find the price of ammo that day.

Porter N

imported post

I do get the "Is that real?" question a lot. The second question I get is either 'why' or 'Is it loaded??"