• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John Pierce On U.S. News & World Report

FatGeek

imported post

Excellent article. Thank you for posting. It is amazing how so many people refuse to acknowledge the fact that if someone is open carrying, they have opened themselves up to public and law enforcement scrutiny, and no criminal would ever put themselves in that position. The opposing article by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy was difficult to get through without wanting to puke. Are people going to have a shoot-out at their local coffee shop if their grande latte order is incorrect? Let's see. Citizens that have paid to be screened by their State Bureau of Investigation and the FBI, to be able to carry a firearm, would throw away their freedom over an incorrect coffee order? Also a big problem with her article is her inability to differentiate between legally owned firearms and gun crime, which has been proven over and over again is carried out with stolen firearms and in most cases, stolen ammunition. Law enforcement and sheeple have fallen into the "man with a gun" sheeple pit and assume that an exposed weapon needs to be investigated.

no_excuses_6165.jpg

neuroblades

imported post

I agree with you, this was a great article and I enjoyed reading at least 50% of it. *LOL* Loved the graphic as well, adds some flash to the page. ;)

I found it interesting that a little over 97% were in favour of nationwide open carry. I mean I figured it would be high but I never really thought it would be that many. *LOL*

DreamReclaimer

imported post

Voted.

I too was kind of surprised how highly in favor most people were. Almost makes me wonder if they read the question correctly.

I wish most states followed the Kentucky model, or even better, the Vermont model.

neuroblades

imported post

Amen!

The above image has caused me to ponder something. I wondered about using that as a possible defensive shooting exercise, using a dummy, of course.

DreamReclaimer

imported post

I've got 6 kids, ranging in ages from 24 to 3yo twin girls. So far, I haven't had to draw while carrying one *knock on wood*.

Love the graphic though. Oleg does good work, neh? A good friend of mine is one of his best friends and they came by the house one evening. Took some great photos of the kids. Really nice guy too. Coming here from the Communist USSR as a kid, he's got a great testimony about the importance of the 2A as a limit on the power of Big Government.

neuroblades

imported post

I agree, I would hope that NO ONE would ever have to go into a defensive shooting posture while holding a child for reasons that are far too numerous to detail. Actually, to do this practice you wouldn't have to use an actual dummy for the exercise, AKA One Handed Draw. But the dummy would be weighted the same as a small child and that addition weight would be a potential negative to the shooter. I think it would be an interest practice though, especially for the IDPA shooting events.

The shooter would have to employee a standard holster, NO speed rigs or such. They'd have to run a specific distances with the weighted dummy carried as such and then WITHOUT notice, the target would randomly depolyed and the shooter would have to stop, draw, and shoot. Additional events for this would be the same but employee 3 and 5 targets at random locations on the "run".

Granted, it might not be a typical situation that one would find themselves under but it could happen in real life. Most muggers and the like are looking for easy targets and those they assume "defenseless".

An even better and just as likely scenario, do all this with a concealed sidearm having to be deployed, this would add an additional level on complexity to the exercise.

Unfettered Might

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
I agree, I would hope that NO ONE would ever have to go into a defensive shooting posture while holding a child for reasons that are far too numerous to detail.

Well not intentionally. But it would be far better to place your body between that of the attacker and your child and fire than to cover them, run and get shot in the back anyway.