• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to carrying, glad I found this site.

Model A

imported post

I received my ccw about a month ago and I'm still getting used to lugging around my Glock 22 .40 cal. After reading around on this site for the last three nights I can't believe the misinformation I've been given by LEO's, attorneys, and even the guys at my local gun shop. I'm new to all of this and heard rumors ofoc violating my ccw so I stopped by my local MSP post. I knew I could oc on my property but not much more. The trooper told me that stepping foot off my property would violate my ccw but I was free to oc in my yard all I want.

Well now I know that's not the case. The attorney in my ccw class said not to even bother ocing unless "you have way too much money and not nearly enough strees in your life." That was all we heard about OC in the CCW class. Recently I bought a holster and asked about OC while riding my motorcycle. I was informed that CC was fine but OC on a bike violated motor carrier laws, whatever that means?

So is this level of misinformation by folks who should know better common?This site is awesome, I'm really glad I found it.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

Check out the Michigan section. Also do a google search for gun laws in Michigan. That should lead you to very specific information on your states gun laws.

Good luck and welcome to OCDO!

BTW, how does the Glock .40 shoot?

Broondog

imported post

welcome to OCDO Model A.

you will find that many CCW instructors, LEO's and lawyers will feed you misinformation in regards to OC. doing your own research is often the only way to get straight answers to the question at hand.

you have come to the right place. here you will find more good info than you can shake a stick at.

Model A

imported post

Well I don't have a ton of experience but I like the way it shoots. Its snappy, there's no two ways about it. I've put about 800 rounds through it now and only had one jam where the casing didn't fully eject and jammed the slide. Other than that, no problem.

open4years

imported post

Welxome!

I respect LEOs but I have had many that didn't actually know the law they were enforcing. One even told me the fire department enforces handicap parking violations! A conversation with the Chief got him educated. That is why I wish the "public gathering" would be removed from carry laws. Each officer has his/her definition of what that means.

It is always wise to print out and carry some of the laws in your state regarding carrying. Or have a link on your smart phone. I have it on my iPhone.

Now you need a Glock 27!

Pace

imported post

Nowhere in US Law do I know of any circumstance where exercising your right will ever take away a license, or another right.

For example, you can drive crazy on a racetrack and they can't take away your drivers license.

The claim that if you OPEN CARRY you will loose your CCW/CHP is ridiculous.

eye95

imported post

I can't speak about MI, but in Alabama, some sheriffs threaten to revoke your CPL if you OC. If they did revoke it, there isn't a heckuva a lot you could do about it. And, not having a CPL makes OC difficult, because carrying in your car requires the CPL.

One always has to consider the practical implications of one's actions.