• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody here from the Bay City/Saginaw area?

Model A

imported post

I'm new to the board, and I just got my ccw last month. Honestly I didn't even know I could oc until a few days ago when I discovered this site.Going through these pages over the last few nights has been an eye opening experience to say the least. I see lots of folks from SE Michigan, just wondering if there's anyone in the Tri City (Bay City, Midland, Saginaw) area? And if they have any problems ocing.

I asked a sheriff patrol friend of mine and he said he hasn't had one complaint about people ocing around here. I don't know if that's because nobody cares or because not many people do it? Idon't think I've everseen anyone ocing here. I carry a Glock 22 .40 cal. and I'm still getting used to cc.But now that I know my rights I think I will be ocing very soon. Thanks for all the great info.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

Model A wrote:
I asked a sheriff patrol friend of mine and he said he hasn't had one complaint about people ocing around here.  I don't know if that's because nobody cares or because not many people do it?    

I OC when I am working in Midland. Also, a police officer should NEVER get a complaint about OCing, since there is nothing wrong with it, and it isn't illegal.

Also, not to split hairs but you were not issued a CCW, but a CPL.

Also, a glock 22 for CC? where do you put that thing!

And you stated you know your rights, however, you need to be absolutely sure you know your rights inside and out, how to deal with LEO's, and how not to let them talk you in to a crime. Get a voice recorder, and such.

I read, memorized, and recited wash rinse repeat, 3 times a day for two weeks before I OCed. I watched negative encounter videos to know what I could possibly be dealing with.

Someone once said, it is sad that we as users of our rights need to be better versed in the law than the people who are supposed to enforce the laws to exercise our rights.

Ignorance of the law, for us as citizens is "no excuse" however, apparently in my experience, ignorance of the law for the people we hire to enforce them is an excuse.

Just know what you could experience, know how to deal with it, and know when to shut up!

Pretty sure there have been some OC cookouts in Bay City, but I don't know for sure, however, it is legal in Midland or Bay City or wherever in Michigan you are! Just get comfortable with dealing with interactions from the public and LEO's and you'll be all set. Good luck.

Model A

imported post

Thanks Kyle, all good advice. I was just curious if my LEO friend had calls from uninformed citizens worried about somebody in the booth next to them at Dennys with a pistol. I've been reading a lot on the site and I did go through the wash rinse, repeat post but it will need to be revisited before I try this OC deal out. I guess I should say I now know I have rights that I wasn't aware of before rather than I know my rights.

I carry the 22 in the small of my back usuallycovered bya long zip up sweatshirt. Its not the most comfortable cc gun on Earth but its all I have right now. The holster I bought will accomodate the 22 and the 23 if I choose to buy that for carry.Thanks again, I'm looking forward to learning a lot more.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Yooperlady and I are just South of Saginaw and I OC as a daily way of life in Saginaw, Bridgeport, Clio, Chesaning, St. Charles, Montrose, and Frankenmuth mostly. Got kicked out of the Taco Bell in Bridgeport when the manager said he couldn't allow my gun in his restaurant so... I told him that was his right and left. No big confrontation or anything... I just left never to return. Otherwise.... it is no big deal.

Expect plenty of looks from folks while OCing and a few "stink eye" looks too. But just maintain a calm and confident demeanor and most folks either don't even notice... or just accept it.

But... please read up on the laws. Be very sure you understand the laws because they can be confusing. And carry a print out of those laws found here in a brochure:

http://www.michiganopencarry.org/node/12

actually, carry a few and hand them out to those who see you OCing and ask questions.

coderdude

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
Also, a glock 22 for CC? where do you put that thing!
I CC with my Beretta 92FS which is an inch longer and about 10oz heaver (ammo weight not factored in) with no problems at all using a Minotaur MTAC Holster. Also carry it in a Belly Band with no problems.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Model A wrote:
Thank you for the info Bikenut. I was hoping somebody would point me in the direction of some literature I could carry as well.
You are welcome!:D

Carry on!

FreeInAZ

I have yet to try and oc long gun here in bay city .. any thoughts on it :question:

Since this is Madden's first post (in a four year old thread rounding up), ;) The type of carry you have asked about while legal in MI, is a forbidden topic here on OCDO ??? So we can't help you too much in this thread. I can say that doing so may dramatically increased your chances of running into a ill informed officer(s)...or ones that simply don't give a damn and want play "let's teach this guy a lesson in OE (opinion enforcement) with a felony prone stop at gunpoint, just for giggles".

Know the law. Have a good lawyer that knows MI gun law and: a smart phone that streams recordings live to a web server, a backup recorder of some kind and if at all possible carry with others. For some reason many MI OE/LE officers seem to only single out the lone legal OCers in my experiences? Guess groups of carriers must be OK with them for some unknown reason...:D

Last edited:

SD40VE

For some reason many MI OE/LE officers seem to only single out the lone legal OCers in my experiences? Guess groups of carriers must be OK with them for some unknown reason...:D

they know the chances of them being recorded portraying thugs is greater when there is a group, its much easier for them to illegally stop someone for OC when they are the only on recording, look at the romulous incident. the "thugs" took hsi phone and shut his recording off. had there been a group they would have gotten the incident on camera. the cruiser dash cams are crap quality

FreeInAZ

they know the chances of them being recorded portraying thugs is greater when there is a group, its much easier for them to illegally stop someone for OC when they are the only on recording, look at the romulous incident. the "thugs" took hsi phone and shut his recording off. had there been a group they would have gotten the incident on camera. the cruiser dash cams are crap quality

Great points! I was shocked the Romulans did not erase the cruiser footage claiming the every popular "technical malfunction".:rolleyes:

SD40VE

Great points! I was shocked the Romulans did not erase the cruiser footage claiming the every popular "technical malfunction".:rolleyes:

lmao i was surprised as well. but then again they did have like 3 cars there. the chances of all 3 having technical malfunctions would have risen questions.