• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walther PPS

open4years

imported post

My most recent firearm is a Walther PPS in .40. It is available in 9mm but both pistols are identical in size.

I believe it might be the smallest .40 made; It is certainly the thinnest. It is great for CC but also good for OC as it is less noticeable and you really do forget that you are carrying it, as it is very light. Some sacrifice in rounds: in .40, you have a choice of 5, 6, or 7 round magazines. You gain one round in 9mm.

The safety is very unusual in that it is part of the trigger guard. Once I got used to it, it makes sense where they put it.

Do any of you have this pistol? If so, or even not, what are your thoughts regarding it? It is my first Walther.

open4years

imported post

That is my main concern. Maybe it is just too thin to shoot comfortably. On the PPS forum, some are using an after-market slide on grip. Thanks for the feedback.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I love my .40 PPS. I traded my PPK/s in for it. It shoots incredibly well, and conceals like a dream. The only problem I've experienced is that there is a small gap in the backstrap that may give you a slight pinch, or may give you a blood blister after a few hundred rounds. That's the main reason a lot of guys have opted for a grip wrap. It doesn't really bother me, though.

If you're looking for a range queen, you may be dissapointed. If you're looking for one of the best carry handguns currently available, you'll be more than satisfied.

I tend to open carry it in a fobus evo roto paddle holster. Most of the time she stays concealed though.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Keep in mind, too, that the PPK and PPS are two completely different firearms. The PPK/s .380 I used to have had more felt recoil than my PPS .40 does. The PPS grip is also much wider front to back. And I wont even get into comparing trigger pulls....

buster81

imported post

open4years wrote:
My most recent firearm is a Walther PPS in .40. It is available in 9mm but both pistols are identical in size.

I believe it might be the smallest .40 made; It is certainly the thinnest. It is great for CC but also good for OC as it is less noticeable and you really do forget that you are carrying it, as it is very light. Some sacrifice in rounds: in .40, you have a choice of 5, 6, or 7 round magazines. You gain one round in 9mm.

The safety is very unusual in that it is part of the trigger guard. Once I got used to it, it makes sense where they put it.

Do any of you have this pistol? If so, or even not, what are your thoughts regarding it? It is my first Walther.

I think you meant to say that the magazine release is part of the trigger guard, not the safety. There is no external safety on the PPS. That style of mag release is used on lots of german guns and does take some getting used to.

open4years

imported post

buster81 wrote:
open4years wrote:

Do any of you have this pistol? If so, or even not, what are your thoughts

regarding it? It is my first Walther.

I think you meant to say that the magazine release is part of the trigger
guard, not the safety. There is no external safety on the PPS. That style of mag release is used on lots of german guns and does take some
getting used to.

You're absutely right. It is the magazine release that is part of the trigger guard and can be activated on both sides. No safety except the trigger and what is between the ears. Thanks for the correction.

I can't keep my hand off of my PPS. It feels good in my hand and is so slim! (fondling occurs while it is unloaded, of course)