Thread: When do I have to show a cop my I.D. or my LTCH?

Post imported post

At what point am I legally bound to show a cop my I.D. and/or my LTCH if I am asked? Does he have to have a reasonable suspicion that I am committing a crime to legally ask for my I.D.? Or can he just ask for it because someone complained to him about my OCing?

Post imported post

The answer to this question, if you are talking about being out and about on foot, is pretty much the same for any state. Read any OC adventure on the MI part of this board and you'll be good to go.

Now if are pulled over in IN (traffic stop) you do not have to inform the LEO that you are armed. If he asks you, then you have to tell him.

If your weapon is visible to the officer I'd recommend having your LTCH and license in hand when the LEO gets to your window- just to prevent drama for both of you.

We talk IN, OC at www.armstalk.com as well.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    The answer to this question, if you are talking about being out and about on foot, is pretty much the same for any state. Read any OC adventure on the MI part of this board and you'll be good to go.
    Saw this news story last week and I was wondering about Indiana.
    http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/100950199.html
    The sheriff said according to Indiana law a person must identify themselves when requested by an officer.

"I did know of one case that one person state he lived there and they just took his word for it," said Mollenhauer. "I don't think it was an invasion of privacy. They were out on public streets and sidewalks, so an officer can ask for identification and we expect to get it."
    I'm guessing this Sheriff is just flat out ling though.