• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Novice Open Carry in Ventura Passes Muster

steele

imported post

I've been protesting A.B. 1934, in Ventura CA, for the past three days: by open carrying on the streets. So far, I've been to Barnes & Noble, Trader Joes, and other local stores. I also spent all day Saturday and Sunday downtown, with a protest sign nearby - no heart attacks or arrests. But, I do think someone called in an emergency on me; although the police did not fall for it, to their credit. Check out my hidden video of the encounter! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5xg1oSdvK4

If there are any others out there in Ventura who would like to join me, in open carrying daily, please feel free to contact me. I would also appreciate any legal info/pitfalls for the area. The sooner more Californians open carry, diligently and consistently, the sooner it will be safer us all.

"I will not tip toe through life, just so that I may arrive safely at death."

Ca Patriot

imported post

cool video and good job.

what was up with the dog though ? did someone with a dog come over to talk to you ?

if so then my first thought was undercover cop. i know ventura county likes to use under covers with the ruse of walking a dog.

steele

imported post

"cool video and good job.

what was up with the dog though ? did someone with a dog come over to talk to you ?

if so then my first thought was undercover cop. i know ventura county likes to use under covers with the ruse of walking a dog."

- Thanks! Yes, a fellow with a dog did walk by where I was sitting, shortly after the cops had left in his direction. His dog was being friendly, so we chatted for a bit: primarily about his encounter with the same cops, about cruising his bicycle on the sidewalk. He may have been undercover, but I didn't get that impression. I spoke to numerous people that day, many of whom completely failed to notice that I was openly carrying an unloaded firearm - until I pointed it out. :)

steele

imported post

The video of my first encounter with police, while open carrying, now has over 200 views! I've been carrying regularly, since then, with no problems whatsoever!!! :)

ryanburbridge

imported post

I have been UOCing for a full week now. At dinner Now with my wife and kids at Super Mex in Lakewood near Long Beach. I will not stop. One draw back I have not had a beer in one week. Some things are worth it.

steele

imported post

Hmmmm....didn't know they OCUI laws yet. But, with the overzealous DUI enforcement, home is where I enjoy my beer. No need to go off the deep end for OC ;)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I've enjoyed a beer while OCing on 3 occasions. Twice with meals and once just to belly up to the bar with some friends to celebrate when we graduated from college.

There is no law against OCing while enjoying an alcoholic beverage. Management at these three restaurants didn't seem to care, either.

If you're an addict, please don't drink while OCing. If you can control yourself, then I see no problem.

I don't give up my right to self defense just because I'm enjoying a beer.

If you're good to drive, you're definitely safe to carry.

ryanburbridge

imported post

Thanks for the info on having a beer with a gun. I think part of my reasoning is image. The other reason is I have been practicing like crazy loading my gun to neutralize a threat. One beer for me on an empty stomach is slight buzz. I may practice tonight while drinking for "research". This needs a new post.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ryanburbridge wrote:
Thanks for the info on having a beer with a gun. I think part of my reasoning is image. The other reason is I have been practicing like crazy loading my gun to neutralize a threat. One beer for me on an empty stomach is slight buzz. I may practice tonight while drinking for "research". This needs a new post.
Many others here disagree with my reasoning. Some say it's just a "bad image." Others just think it's truly dangerous. But the best counter-argument I've heard is, "what will the jury think if you have to defend yourself?"

I gotta admit the latter appeals to my risk-averse nature. You gotta KNOW the prosecutor is going to make your sobriety the central issue. You'd be painted as the guy who brought a gun to a bar fight, and that you must have been "looking for trouble" just because you were ready for trouble.

For me it's truly a non-issue. I've "gone out" for a beer maybe a dozen times in my life. So for me it's not much of an issue to not carry while drinking in public because it's simply a rare occasion.

steele

imported post

Good theatrics maybe....? Seriously, it is a hidden camera that cost me less than $50; and I was a novice user. It looks like a memory stick with a clip on one side; and was not ideally balanced when clipped to my shirt pocket. Since, then I've switched to hanging it around my neck with parachute cord, which gives me a much more level angle - and I am not caught off guard without it!

If you'd like to pick one up, you can get them through a friend of mine (he bought them in bulk from China). It is very concealable; has great audio; chargeable battery (USB/power adaptor); and 2+ GB memory. Just send me a message!

steele

imported post

UPDATE:

Still open carrying regularly, to this day! I've given out over 20 flyers, and spoke to hundreds of fellow citizens, after being questioned about my firearm. I've even been in heated political debates, with no one showing concern over my wearing a firearm while doing so.

The protest video has received over 400 views!

If 2nd Amendment supporters open carried regularly, all the proposed gun laws (infringements) would appear comical! :)