• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun in car on school grounds

mrh2008

imported post

I frequently take my sister-in-law to Jr. High school and i'd like to know if i can take my firearm. There is a sign at the entrance saying that it's a "no self defence zone" but i thought that a firearm in a glove box under supervision of an adult was ok as long as you stay in the car or lock the car with gun out of sight if you leave the car, am i mistaken? I think i remember seeing somewhere that the firearm must be unloaded, is this true? I'm only on campus for 15 seconds if that, and cant see leaving my firearm at home for the whole comute because i have to pull into a parkinglot and drop a person off. Any info or sugestions would be great. :D

mFonz77

imported post

From Handgunlaw.us:

Prohibition on:
The grounds of any school, other than the parking lot. In order to be legal in the parking lot the
weapon must be unloaded, and, if left in an unattended vehicle, such vehicle must be locked and the
weapon out of sight.

Klown

imported post

Yup, pretty much have to unholster it, drop the mag, clear the chamber all with one hand while the other is on the steering wheel hoping you don't have an ND when its time to shift or get called in for brandishing as your nearing school grounds.
Gotta love some of these common sense stipulations