• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill would ban most private gun sales in Wisconsin

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

[font="TIMES, SERIF"]Status?
[line]
A fast-tracked bill introduced in the state Legislature at the end of March would ban the private sale of most firearms in Wisconsin and would for the first time extend a prohibition on the possession of firearms to those convicted of certain misdemeanors.

State Sen. Spencer Coggs (D-Milwaukee) and Rep. Tony Staskunas (D-West Allis) are the principal authors of the legislation, which received public hearings in both the Senate and Assembly this past week.[/font]

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&subsectionID=9&articleID=11229

Yata hey

Ivan Sample

imported post

Wisconsin is going to hell in a hand basket when it comes to allowing there citizens to carry a gun to protect themselves and there love ones. I am so glad that I moved to a state that allow their citizens to protect themeselves. Look at this way! LE can't not be there 24/7 to protect you so its up to you. If Wisconsin did allow for their citizens to carry, I bet that crime rate will drop and the thugs will think twice about trying to rob someone. :celebrate

M

McX

imported post

doug, read the conspiracy masks as ignorance thing, then i thought of the freebie number arizona is pulling, and suddenly it looked like it was masked to get concealed at the price of oc for arizona, am i seeing the reality here?

Ivan Sample

imported post

Answer this question--how come every time CCDW comes up that it get denied? No offense to anyone here and if I did I sorry. I lived in Wisconsin for almost 34 years of my life and now I am 40. I can remember when that issue came up that the folks in Madison, Wis always turn it down. That is injustice to the people there. The 2nd admendment grantees the right to bear arms.

M

McX

imported post

and we as a united group are going to do what? Open Carry baby!:cool:

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

McX wrote:
doug, read the conspiracy masks as ignorance thing, then i thought of the freebie number arizona is pulling, and suddenly it looked like it was masked to get concealed at the price of oc for arizona, am i seeing the reality here?

http://s.azcentral.com/home/ForgotPasswordThe Arizona Republic
Brewer to get concealed-gun bill
by Alia Beard Rau - Apr. 9, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Within the next week, Arizona could become the first state with a large urban population to allow U.S. citizens 21 and older to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. Only Alaska and Vermont have similar allowances.
Senate Bill 1108, crafted by Sen. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, passed in the House of Representatives on Thursday with a vote of 36-19 and no comments from either side.
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1') "This is a big day," National Rifle Association lobbyist Matt Dogali said. "This is a major restoration of a principal right."
The bill will go to the governor Monday, and Gov. Jan Brewer will have until the following Saturday to sign it, veto it, or do nothing and allow it to become law. The law would go into effect 90 days after the legislative session ends, which could happen within the next few weeks.
Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman said she has not made a final decision on whether she will sign the bill. "But she has a long track record of strong, vigorous support of the Second Amendment," he said.
As of April 4, there were 154,279 active concealed-carry weapon permits in Arizona. The permits generated $1.8 million in revenue last fiscal year, according to Harold Sanders, Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman. The money is used to help cover costs for enforcing laws related to the Highway Patrol, operating the concealed-carry weapon-licensing program and impounding vehicles. Sanders said it's impossible to know how the legislation would affect that budget or state employees.
Dogali said many gun owners will still likely get a permit. They would still be needed in order to carry a weapon into a restaurant or bar that serves alcohol as well as for an Arizonan to carry his or her weapon concealed in most states.
The training requirements to get the permit would change under the proposed law. John Thomas, lobbyist for the Arizona Chiefs of Police, said the new provisions don't require the training class to be a set number of hours or include any hands-on use of the weapon.
A background check would still be required to get a permit, as well as to buy a gun in most cases. Brewer this week signed another law that exempts guns made and kept in Arizona from federal regulation, including background checks.
The chiefs association was originally opposed to the concealed-weapons bill. It worked to get several provisions added, and the group now is neutral. Those provisions include requiring gun owners to accurately answer an officer when asked if they are carrying a weapon and allowing police to temporarily confiscate the weapon while they are in contact with someone.
If the bill becomes law, Thomas said both law enforcement and residents should expect changes.
"You're going to have officers approaching people and asking them if they are carrying a weapon," he said. "And if a policeman asks you if you are carrying a weapon and you do not answer accurately, it's a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable with six months in jail."
He said Arizonans also should start assuming that starting sometime late this summer, a lot more people with no training will likely be carrying concealed guns.

I don't see where it says OC will not be allowed.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
And we as a united group are going to do what?

Well, for one thing, continue to support the NRA. All concerned Wisconsinite gun-owners (or potential owners)should support the NRA, as it is working for you all.

The National Rifle Association says the proposed legislation is an infringement of the Second Amendment rights of Wisconsin citizens.

"These proposals contain outrageously hostile language which would put unconstitutional restrictions on firearm transactions and transfers at gun shows," the NRA stated on its website. "Gun control advocates refer to this legislation as a fix for the 'gun show loophole,' the scare tactic created by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg to push his anti-gun agenda. (As) in most cases with state legislation and Bloomberg's federal legislation regarding closing this 'loophole,' the bill goes way beyond that and provides many unconstitutional restrictions on law abiding citizens."

The problem for Wisconsin is that Bloomberg has found a sympathetic ear with Milwaukee's mayor and some Milwaukee legislators who have been misled by his false statements and rhetoric, the NRA stated.

The NRA said the proposals do more than close a gun-show loophole.

"These proposals go way beyond gun shows though, and frankly attack many personal freedoms," the NRA stated. "These proposals would require that all firearm transfers be conducted through a federally licensed dealer,except to family members. That means if you wanted to sell your firearm to a friend, you would have to find a federally licensed dealer and pay whatever transfer fees they felt appropriate."

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&subsectionID=9&articleID=11229

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

Well, for one thing, continue to support the NRA. All concerned Wisconsinite gun-owners (or potential owners)should support the NRA, as it is working for you all.

The National Rifle Association says the proposed legislation is an infringement of the Second Amendment rights of Wisconsin citizens.

"These proposals contain outrageously hostile language which would put unconstitutional restrictions on firearm transactions and transfers at gun shows," the NRA stated on its website. "Gun control advocates refer to this legislation as a fix for the 'gun show loophole,' the scare tactic created by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg to push his anti-gun agenda. (As) in most cases with state legislation and Bloomberg's federal legislation regarding closing this 'loophole,' the bill goes way beyond that and provides many unconstitutional restrictions on law abiding citizens."

The problem for Wisconsin is that Bloomberg has found a sympathetic ear with Milwaukee's mayor and some Milwaukee legislators who have been misled by his false statements and rhetoric, the NRA stated.

"These proposals go way beyond gun shows though, and frankly attack many personal freedoms," the NRA stated. "These proposals would require that all firearm transfers be conducted through a federally licensed dealer,except to family members. That means if you wanted to sell your firearm to a friend, you would have to find a federally licensed dealer and pay whatever transfer fees they felt appropriate."

Yeah just like they worked on getting that CCW Bill passed this session. They either are to scared to fight with the Doylette or they can't get the job done for what ever reason or excuse they choose to use this week.

Not trying to sound like the negative nanny here but just how many years do we have to keep waiting?

The people who can make these changes are the voters and tax payers and this is the year. Let's make an impact. We need to vote out literally every anti rights politician we can.

We need to elect people that abide by the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions and if they don't continue to abide by them after being elected we impeach them.

It is time for action and not just talk as usual. But then most will just keep typing on the keyboard and do nothing.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
HankT wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

Yeah just like they worked on getting that CCW Bill passed this session. They either are to scared to fight with the Doylette or they can't get the job done for what ever reason or excuse they choose to use this week.

Not trying to sound like the negative nanny here ....

Oh, perish the thought!

I'd be shocked, shocked I tell you, that anyone would even remotely think that....

32HR MAG

imported post

Instead of giving your money to the nra[they don't deserve capitalization ].Spend it supporting a group that "has" done something in your state.And Vote.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

32HR MAG wrote:
...the nra[they don't deserve capitalization].
Well, for not deserving it, they did pretty well in 2009---$307 million, IIRC.

Even without choo!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

32HR MAG wrote:
What have they done for you?

Most of this:

STANDING GUARD
By Wayne LaPierre

May 2010

What The NRA Does For You

"What's the NRA done for me?"

That question was recently posed by a young man at an airport. He recognized me and struck up a conversation about gun control. I asked him if he was an NRA member and he said, "No." That's when he hit me with, "What's NRA done for me?"

As NRA members, we've all heard that question—especially from casual gun owners who enjoy the benefit of our success—and I guess your reaction is the same as mine: It's worth a thoughtful response.

Before I answered, I wanted to know more about him—always a key to confronting a lack of knowledge or misconception.

Did he believe in the Second Amendment? "You bet."

Did he believe in the right to carry? "Absolutely. I have a permit." The right to armed self-defense? "Of course." Was he a collector? "Yes." Semi-automatics? "Everybody should own an AR."

Was he a target shooter? He proudly corrected me. "A precision shooter."

A hunter? "Yes."

Just then he was called to board his plane. So I knew I had to answer that question in print for his benefit and for your use.

First and foremost, he can thank the NRA for our 35 years supporting the superb scholarship and practical legal experience that led to the U.S. Supreme Court's June 2008 definitive ruling declaring the Second Amendment to protect an individual constitutional right. That case struck down the District of Columbia's ban on handguns and the ban on any armed self-defense in the home. It wouldn't have happened without the NRA. That goes for the case pending before the same court challenging Chicago's ban and demanding that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms apply to state and local governments.

The NRA grassroots effort that re-elected President George W. Bush centered on the importance of his high court appointments. Without that total commitment, the court would surely have been dominated by Al Gore's and John Kerry's gun-ban appointees.

Beyond the high court, in broad strokes, here's what the NRA has achieved for my airport inquisitor based on his interests:

He exercises the right to carry and he can thank the NRA for his "shall-issue" permit. Since 1987, that right has been extended to 40 states with 36 states issuing permits to all qualified applicants.

If this young man had carried or even possessed a firearm in a national park before Feb. 20, 2010, it would have been a crime. Thanks to the NRA and our friends in Congress, citizens can now possess and carry firearms in federal parklands in conformity with the laws of the state.

As for today's array of handgun designs and models available to consumers, our friend can thank the NRA for defeating every national scheme to ban pistols and revolvers—from so-called concealable "Saturday Night Specials," to handguns with polymer frames, to semi-automatics capable of using "high capacity magazines," to handguns in small or large caliber, to handguns not possessing built-in "smart gun" technology.

Then there is the question of ammunition. The NRA Institute for Legislative Action's first decisive victory in 1977 prevented the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission from outlawing handgun ammunition as a "hazardous substance" in the home.

As to where a firearm can be used in lawful self-defense, the NRA has been responsible for Castle Doctrine laws enacted in 24 states, many replacing laws that required potential victims of violent crime to run away when confronted with deadly force outside their homes. We've already preserved the rights of employees in 12 states who wish to keep lawful firearms locked and properly stored in their vehicles.

Among the citizen safeguards in the landmark 1986 McClure-Volkmer Act, known as the Firearms Owners' Protection Act, is a provision protecting gun owners traversing any state with properly stored firearms. Previous to that, gun owners traveling through states like New Jersey were subject to felony prosecution for illegal possession for transporting a gun in their vehicle.

That law reformed the worst provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and curbed massive abuse of power against gun owners, licensed dealers and collectors.

That brings me to how my young inquirer obtains his firearms. From dealers? At gun shows? From other lawful individuals? Were it not for the NRA, all of those sources would have been closed down long ago.

Through enactment of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act in 2005, Congress effectively slammed the door on scores of big city lawsuits designed to put federally licensed gun dealers and manufacturers out of business.

We have held the line against Brady Campaign and Violence Policy Center legislation intended to close gun shows nationwide. As for criminalizing now-lawful intrastate sales between individuals—the goal of the Brady Campaign—we have blocked that one as well.

As for the young man's ownership of an AR-15, the NRA was responsible for the sunset provisions of the onerous Clinton gun ban, and we used our collective might to make sure that worthless ban faded from law.

"Precision shooter?" We have stopped bans on accurate rifles claimed to be "sniper rifles."

There is more: we worked to arm airline pilots, an essential to protecting passengers.

And he can thank the NRA for keeping the United Nations' gun-ban treaty at bay.

Without the NRA, this young man would have no place to shoot or to hunt. Preserving and developing both has long been an aggressive NRA effort, as is our gun safety focus in training millions of gun owners and law enforcement officers.

Anyone who asks that question— "What's NRA done for me" —owes a deep debt they can pay by joining our ranks.

As NRA members, we share a sense of pride in what our members and dedicated staff have accomplished.

To show unity and strength in answering new challenges to our rights, I urge you to attend the NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Charlotte, N.C., May 13-16, and to participate in our Celebration of American Values Freedom Weekend at this important moment in freedom's history.

http://www.nrapublications.org/SG/index.asp

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Prince Armitage Ranjit Dakkar wrote:
"Thirty pieces of silver"
Burns on the member's brain;
"Thirty pieces of silver!
Oh! it is hellish gain!"

Burns on the NRA's brain;
Oh! it is hellish gain!"

Burns on the traitor's brain;
Oh! it is hellish gain!"

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Prince Armitage Ranjit Dakkar wrote:
Burns on the member's brain;
Oh! it is hellish gain!"

Burns on the NRA's brain;
Oh! it is hellish gain!"

Burns on the traitor's brain;
Oh! it is hellish gain!"

Did you a piece of that silver when you were an NRA member/certified instructor?

At least a couple of Mercury dimes, eh?

comp45acp

imported post

HankT wrote:
32HR MAG wrote:
What have they done for you?

Most of this:

STANDING GUARD
By Wayne LaPierre

May 2010

What The NRA Does For You

"What's the NRA done for me?"

That question was recently posed by a young man at an airport. He recognized me and struck up a conversation about gun control. I asked him if he was an NRA member and he said, "No." That's when he hit me with, "What's NRA done for me?"

As NRA members, we've all heard that question—especially from casual gun owners who enjoy the benefit of our success—and I guess your reaction is the same as mine: It's worth a thoughtful response.

Before I answered, I wanted to know more about him—always a key to confronting a lack of knowledge or misconception.

Did he believe in the Second Amendment? "You bet."

Did he believe in the right to carry? "Absolutely. I have a permit." The right to armed self-defense? "Of course." Was he a collector? "Yes." Semi-automatics? "Everybody should own an AR."

Was he a target shooter? He proudly corrected me. "A precision shooter."

A hunter? "Yes."

Just then he was called to board his plane. So I knew I had to answer that question in print for his benefit and for your use.

First and foremost, he can thank the NRA for our 35 years supporting the superb scholarship and practical legal experience that led to the U.S. Supreme Court's June 2008 definitive ruling declaring the Second Amendment to protect an individual constitutional right. That case struck down the District of Columbia's ban on handguns and the ban on any armed self-defense in the home. It wouldn't have happened without the NRA. That goes for the case pending before the same court challenging Chicago's ban and demanding that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms apply to state and local governments.

The NRA grassroots effort that re-elected President George W. Bush centered on the importance of his high court appointments. Without that total commitment, the court would surely have been dominated by Al Gore's and John Kerry's gun-ban appointees.

Beyond the high court, in broad strokes, here's what the NRA has achieved for my airport inquisitor based on his interests:

He exercises the right to carry and he can thank the NRA for his "shall-issue" permit. Since 1987, that right has been extended to 40 states with 36 states issuing permits to all qualified applicants.

If this young man had carried or even possessed a firearm in a national park before Feb. 20, 2010, it would have been a crime. Thanks to the NRA and our friends in Congress, citizens can now possess and carry firearms in federal parklands in conformity with the laws of the state.

As for today's array of handgun designs and models available to consumers, our friend can thank the NRA for defeating every national scheme to ban pistols and revolvers—from so-called concealable "Saturday Night Specials," to handguns with polymer frames, to semi-automatics capable of using "high capacity magazines," to handguns in small or large caliber, to handguns not possessing built-in "smart gun" technology.

Then there is the question of ammunition. The NRA Institute for Legislative Action's first decisive victory in 1977 prevented the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission from outlawing handgun ammunition as a "hazardous substance" in the home.

As to where a firearm can be used in lawful self-defense, the NRA has been responsible for Castle Doctrine laws enacted in 24 states, many replacing laws that required potential victims of violent crime to run away when confronted with deadly force outside their homes. We've already preserved the rights of employees in 12 states who wish to keep lawful firearms locked and properly stored in their vehicles.

Among the citizen safeguards in the landmark 1986 McClure-Volkmer Act, known as the Firearms Owners' Protection Act, is a provision protecting gun owners traversing any state with properly stored firearms. Previous to that, gun owners traveling through states like New Jersey were subject to felony prosecution for illegal possession for transporting a gun in their vehicle.

That law reformed the worst provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and curbed massive abuse of power against gun owners, licensed dealers and collectors.

That brings me to how my young inquirer obtains his firearms. From dealers? At gun shows? From other lawful individuals? Were it not for the NRA, all of those sources would have been closed down long ago.

Through enactment of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act in 2005, Congress effectively slammed the door on scores of big city lawsuits designed to put federally licensed gun dealers and manufacturers out of business.

We have held the line against Brady Campaign and Violence Policy Center legislation intended to close gun shows nationwide. As for criminalizing now-lawful intrastate sales between individuals—the goal of the Brady Campaign—we have blocked that one as well.

As for the young man's ownership of an AR-15, the NRA was responsible for the sunset provisions of the onerous Clinton gun ban, and we used our collective might to make sure that worthless ban faded from law.

"Precision shooter?" We have stopped bans on accurate rifles claimed to be "sniper rifles."

There is more: we worked to arm airline pilots, an essential to protecting passengers.

And he can thank the NRA for keeping the United Nations' gun-ban treaty at bay.

Without the NRA, this young man would have no place to shoot or to hunt. Preserving and developing both has long been an aggressive NRA effort, as is our gun safety focus in training millions of gun owners and law enforcement officers.

Anyone who asks that question— "What's NRA done for me" —owes a deep debt they can pay by joining our ranks.

As NRA members, we share a sense of pride in what our members and dedicated staff have accomplished.

To show unity and strength in answering new challenges to our rights, I urge you to attend the NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Charlotte, N.C., May 13-16, and to participate in our Celebration of American Values Freedom Weekend at this important moment in freedom's history.

http://www.nrapublications.org/SG/index.asp

Thanks HankT for posting this. Many on this forum have forgotten or are too young to realize how much the NRA has done to protect the 2nd Amendment. Without them, the 2nd Amendment would have almost no meaning today and we would not be making the progress we are in this state and in many others.