• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAG Call

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2010/04/20/news/cops_and_courts/doc4bcd0054486c7193436600.txt

Neighbors contact police after seeing man with a gun

Police were dispatched to Thurston Street at 5:30 p.m. April 12 in response to calls from neighbors saying there was a man with the gun walking on Terrapin Street. Police located the suspect, who told police he was a former police officer in Texas and that he was wearing the gun to promote people openly carrying firearms. He told police he was trying to keep “robbers, burglars and dirt bags” out of his neighborhood by openly carrying the gun. The man has a valid concealed weapons permit and has the right to legally carry his firearm in the open, according to police.

— Special writer Johnny Branstetter

Okay, fess up, who was this? :D

MK

imported post

If police are going to acton any random call about a man with a gun and not get more information as to why this person is a perceived threat other than doing what the law allows then maybe people should start calling in when they see a LEO with a weapon. Maybe after answering a few of these calls will there be a push to collect more important information as to whether a unit should be dispatched or not.

Do they respond to every call about a man with a car or a man with a beverage? For all they know, either of these people could be breaking the law or abiding by them just like a person who is carrying a firearm.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

scot623 wrote:
Must have been a slow news day. Although, the article makes all the reading aware that open carry is completely legal. So I call this a win.

I agree, it's a win.

I know this happened in the Wolverine & Walled Lake area but it would be nice if the article would mention the PD who were called. I can only assume a local PD was called and not the Sheriff's Department based on the article.

ETA: If it was a local PD, it had to be Walled Lake PD. There's no listing for Wolverine Lake PD.

pmcqueen37

imported post

MK wrote:
If police are going to acton any random call about a man with a gun and not get more information as to why this person is a perceived threat other than doing what the law allows then maybe people should start calling in when they see a LEO with a weapon. Maybe after answering a few of these calls will there be a push to collect more important information as to whether a unit should be dispatched or not.

Do they respond to every call about a man with a car or a man with a beverage? For all they know, either of these people could be breaking the law or abiding by them just like a person who is carrying a firearm.
Don't think I want to call 911 on a LEO for MWAG, most likely would result in making a false 911 call

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have a question.........Does Michigan lawrequire youto inform the police that you are armed during a "Terry" stop? I have to find out the answer for my job. Thanks in advance!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!:X

lapeer20m

imported post

and here is why:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28hfe1vu45drmhvjzumvsqp1a1%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425f&query=on&highlight=disclose%20AND%20pistol

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
carrying concealed = disclosure required, must produce id and cpl upon request

carrying open = no duty to disclose, no need to carry/produce id or cpl

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
and here is why:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28hfe1vu45drmhvjzumvsqp1a1%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425f&query=on&highlight=disclose%20AND%20pistol

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
carrying concealed = disclosure required, must produce id and cpl upon request

carrying open = no duty to disclose, no need to carry/produce id or cpl

Awesome!! Thanks so much. This is why I love this site!!:celebrate

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!:X