• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2A marches show gun owners are growing restless

Dave Workman

imported post

2A marches show gun owners are growing restless

Monday’s Second Amendment March (SAM) in Washington, D.C. was a huge success compared to the armed gathering at Virginia’s nearby Fort Hunt and Gravelly Point parks, and now gun rights activists in the ‘other’ Washington (I prefer the real Washington) are working hard to match yesterday’s events right here in the Evergreen State.

A noon rally at Olympia’s Tivoli Fountain on the Capitol Campus is scheduled this Saturday, April 24.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m4d20-2A-rallies-from-one-Washington-to-the-other-suggest-gun-owners-are-growing-restless

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/y5cusxj

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

looking forward to new pics on the capital.....

Nickinfrontofcrowd1.jpg

Nimh

imported post

Loved the closing... "Where would we be, as a nation and as a people,if the Minutemen had opted to cut grass or play golf?"

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Nice one Dave. For those of us right now who can't afford to miss a day of work, and couldn't get it off even if we wanted, or perhaps for whatever reason eschew crowds (especially on the day that Oly is also *CROWDED* with closed off streets for Artswalk) what kind of insults do you have?

Dave Workman

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Nice one Dave. For those of us right now who can't afford to miss a day of work, and couldn't get it off even if we wanted, or perhaps for whatever reason eschew crowds (especially on the day that Oly is also *CROWDED* with closed off streets for Artswalk) what kind of insults do you have?

If you want to play the victim of an insult, be my guest.

I'm not talking about people with a legitimate problem, like holding down a job,and you know it. I'm talking about the people who bitch, piss and moan about how "the NRA didn't do that" or "the Citizens Committee should have done this" when they, as individuals with a lot to lose didn't lift a finger. You haven't seemed to be part of that crowd so far.

You know who I'm talking about, and it isn't people like you who have jobs they need to be at. I'm talking about slackers who spout off on forums like this and don't even bother to vote; people who are all mouth and no feet, who don't show up in Olympia at public hearings but are always willing to Monday morning quarterback those who do.

The "I had to get a haircut" excuse wears a little thin.

This Saturday, I'mbreaking awayfrom a gun show in Puyallup, where I work a table for SAF, to be part of this and cover the event for Gun Week. That's double duty ON THE JOB for me.

If I can do that, you wouldn't expect me to be cutting anybody slack if they decided to hit the tennis court instead, now would you? ;)

I'm sure you will be well represented at Oly. Work hard, now. The governor needs your taxes. :what::uhoh:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Fair enough Dave. I was a bit pricklish there, especially after about the 5th person asked me if I was going to be there, and why not since I live 2 miles away. And then followed up with "Well you should..." :)

Good luck finding parking. Artswalk really makes a mess of things.

amzbrady

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Fair enough Dave. I was a bit pricklish there, especially after about the 5th person asked me if I was going to be there, and why not since I live 2 miles away. And then followed up with "Well you should..." :)

Speaking of which, where is the best place to park, Cheap or free?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:

This will be fun! A bunch of firearms enthusiasts in an art show after the rally!

Again I say:

Dress daper, be nice, be courteous, be professional, be polite and smile!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I OC'd at last years Artswalk. No problems. 6" Security Six too. There are lots of cops wandering around (ok, lots by Oly standards, we only have about 70 officers all told, including the chief) on bike mainly. There are some neat things to see, couple of welders and blacksmiths, some performance art, etc... I had fun last year despite the crowd.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Speaking of which, where is the best place to park, Cheap or free?

AWAY FROM DOWNTOWN LOL. Any parking downtown will be filled up, there is parking around the Capitol but it may be filled up. Best bet, get there a couple of hours early, and avoid the downtown area, carpool if possible, and consider maybe parking at one of the park and rides in Lacey and taking Intercity Transit to the capitol.

DEROS72

imported post

Tansportation and parking at the Capital...

WASHINGTON STATE CAPITOL, PHYSICAL ADDRESS: [/b]

416 Sid Snyder Avenue SW
Olympia, WA 98504[/b][/b]

State Capitol Campus Parking Information

There are many ways to reach the State Capitol in Olympia, Washington. For those traveling by car, parking options are listed below. For the latest information on parking lot closures or changes, visit the General Administration parking page.

Try the Intercity Transit "Dash" Shuttle.

From I-5 Southbound: Take "Exit 105 to State Capitol", keep left for Exit 105A, and continue for 0.6 miles. Merge with traffic on the left and continue in the left hand lane of 14th Ave SW through the first light (Jefferson St.) and under the tunnel 0.4 mi to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).

From I-5 Northbound:Take Exit 105 and bear left for the State Capitol/City Center exit. Cross over Interstate 5 and keep in the left lane on 14th Ave SE. through the first light (Jefferson St) and under the tunnel 0.4 mi to Capitol Blvd. Continue across Capitol Blvd to the Capitol Building on Sid Snyder Ave SW (14th Ave becomes Sid Snyder Ave).

For more information, call the Department of General Administration’s Visitor Services office in the Legislative Building at (360) 586-3460.

Public transportation is also an option even after you've parked your car, and the local bus service (Intercity Transit) in Olympia offers many low-cost routes to the Capitol Campus and other state buildings. Intercity Transit also coordinates with connecting transportation systems in neighboring counties. Following are links to those public transit systems. If you have further questions about public transportation routes to the Capitol Campus or other state buildings, please contact the transit system as listed at the web site:

PicExportError
Department of Transportation Includes options for getting around Washington State and points beyond

PicExportError
Grays Harbor Transit in Hoquiam, Washington

PicExportError
Intercity Transit in Olympia, Washington

PicExportError
Mason County Transportation Authority in Shelton, Washington

PicExportError
Northwest Transit Links Includes information on ferry, air, rail and private bus links

PicExportError
Pierce Transit in Tacoma, Washington

PicExportError
Metro King County TRIP PLANNER[/b]

PicExportError
Sound Transit TRIP PLANNER[/b]

PicExportError

Detailed Map of Capitol Campus (PDF)

There are nine parking locations available for visitors to the Capitol:

1. Visitor Information Center Parking. Parking is available at the Visitor Information Center at 14th Avenue and Capitol Way. The charge is 50 cents per hour. For visitor parking information at other locations on the Capitol Campus grounds, please contact the state government Campus Parking Office at (360) 725-0030.

2. North and South Diagonal Parking. Located along the North and South Diagonal streets on the Capitol Campus. There is a 50¢ per hour charge.

3. General Administration Parking Garage (upper level) on the corner of 11th Avenue and Columbia Street. There is a 50¢ per hour charge.No SUVs, vans or trucks. These vehicles can park on the west side of the General AdministrationBuilding.

4. General Administration Building, located at 11th Avenue and Columbia Street. There are 35 visitor parking stalls on the west side (facing Capitol Lake) of the building. There isa 50¢ per hour charge.

5. Natural Resources P1 Parking Lot off Washington Street is metered parking.

6. Professional Arts Building at 11th Avenue and Washington Street. The 48-stall lot includes a meter that accepts payment with either a debit or credit card. The cost is 50 cents per hour. Free Dash shuttle service is also offered at this lot.

7. Capitol Campus Visitor Parking at Maple Park Avenue and Jefferson Street. Parking is 50 cents an hour.

8. Capitol Campus Visitor Parking at Farmers Market at the north end of Capitol Way (available January through March only). Parking is 50 cents an hour. Intercity Transit’s free Dash shuttle serves this lot every 12 minutes on weekdays, taking passengers between the Capitol Campus and downtown Olympia.

9. Deschutes Parkway. Intercity Transit serves Deschutes Parkway weekdays every 15 minutes. Other bus routes operate throughout the region and serve the Olympia Transit Center where passengers can transfer to Routes 12, 13, and 68 for service to the Capitol Campus. For route and schedule information, call (360) 786-1881 or visit [url]www.intercitytransit.com[/url]. The fare is$1 for a single ride and $2 for an all-day pass. State employees working in Thurston County ride all Intercity Transit services free with a STAR Pass. Intercity Transit also operates a free Dash Shuttle along Capital Way between the Capitol campus and downtown Olympia. Service is every 12 minutes.

To Deschutes Parkway from I-5 Southbound: Take exit 103 and proceed on 2nd Avenue; turn left onto the Custer Way overpass; turn right on Boston, proceed downhill to Deschutes Parkway; turn right (north) onto the Parkway and proceed to the designated parking area along Capitol Lake.

To Deschutes Parkway from I-5 Northbound: Take exit 103 and proceed north on Deschutes Parkway through the stop sign to the designated parking area along Capitol Lake.

[align=center]

[/align]
Persons with Disabilities: Those needing auxiliary aids or services for purposes of attending hearings or participating in other legislative activities should call the House of Representatives at (360) 786-7101 or the Senate at (360) 786-7400 for further information. TTY 1-800-635-9993.

[align=center]

[/align]
Tour and Special Event Buses – Tour/special events buses may not park on the Capitol Campus without prior approval from GA.* Load and unload on Columbia St., between 15th Ave. and Sid Snyder Ave. If full, the Winged Victory Monument traffic circle and South Diagonal can be used as a load/unload area. Once unloaded, park along Deschutes Parkway. At pickup time, please shut off the engine while waiting. Do not block 14th Ave. westbound waiting to enter the Capitol Campus. If traffic is backed-up entering the campus, go right on Capitol Way; then right on 11th Ave.; right on Jefferson St.; and then right again back on to 14th Ave.

Special Needs – Buses that need special accommodations can drop off and load at the southeast corner of the Legislative Building. No waiting is allowed at this location and drivers must park in either handicapped parking or on Deschutes Parkway.

*GA Visitor Services Program
Legislative Bldg Room 111
(360) 902-8880
Capitol Campus Parking: [url]www.ga.wa.gov/Park/visitor.htm
[/url]