• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Modern Holster for a Tokarev TT33

HYRYSC

imported post

I am looking for a modern holster for my TT33. Has anyone ever ran across one of these? I think a Serpa for a TT33 would be awesome, but I won't be holding my breath.

marrero jeff

imported post

unfortunately the tokarev is just too old to have any production models made for it, there simply arent enough ppl carrying them. you'll have to get a custom peice made.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

HYRYSC,

I agree with Jeff in that such an old warhorse "obsolete" gun such as the Tokarev just doesn't have current products/parts being made for it (*), so if you can OC in your state, the military holster would be the only properly-fitting holster available for it (even though it's a flap holster). That's about it.

EXCEPT for these people: http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RGLTokarev.htm

...but when I e-mailed them asking for some details on their Tokarev holster (I have 2 Toks) they didn't even have the common courtesy to respond...I resented that sorry attitude -- an insult to potential customers -- and crossed Ross off my list. You might have better luck with them but as for me, if a company doesn't even bother to respond, I sure ain't going out of my way to throw my money at them!

Also as Jeff said, a custom holster (or make one yourself) for CC (especially) or OC is the only practical solution. For example, if I still lived in El Paso, TX, I could take my Tokarev down to El Paso Saddlery and they'd make a high-quality perfect-fit holster for it...and it'd not be TOO expensive. But I'm here now and have the same problem you do: No 'civilian' Tokarev holsters to be had.Considering all the Tokarevs that have been sold here lately, there are lots of people who ownTokarevs, but my guess is that few actually want to or do carry them MAINLY due to the ballistics of the cartridge. That can easily be dealt with via using proper tactics (the 'other half of the self-defense equation' as I have stated earlier) but most people are ignorant re: tactics or just don't want to adjust.

Here in TX we can't OC, so even my military (Russian) Tokarev holsters I have aren't usable, soI'd have to get a CC holster for it. If I don't make my own CC holster at some point -- and if I find a custom holster maker who can/will do it for a reasonable price -- I'll probably go that route. For now, I just carry my 9mm Tokarev clone Zastava M88 in an ankle-holster (of course, CC only).

The problem down here re: CC of ANY gun is heat and humidity/sweat, so the only comfortable (and dry) way I can CC a gun is ankle-carry...and I could just modify an Uncle Mike's nylon ankle-holster (they have several to choose from) to fit the Tokarev.I mean, if I can carry an all-steel compact 9mm in that position, I can carry the Tokarev there also: Even if the Tokarev's slide is longer, it's flatter and the grip is shorter, so IMO the Tokarev conceals nicely WHEREVER you want to carry it CC.

Good luck finding a 'civilian' Tokarev holster...Jeff has covered it whole lot more succinctly than I did...but I never have been known for being concise anyway. ;-)

-- John D.

(*) CZ/Crvena Zastava of Serbia (not to be confused with the Czech company CZ/Česká Zbrojovka) used to make Tokarevs for many years (IIRC, they've made guns for just over 100 years and only about 6 different models all that time), so I'm sure they have lots of parts for Tokarevs. But they do not respond to e-mails and if you called them you'd better speak Serbian. Apparently, you'd have to be OVER there to go see them personally -- and speak Serbian as I said-- but if you COULD talk to them, it would be a great business oportunity to get their parts AND magazines (become a distributor) shipped over here for sale. Yeah, EAA America is SUPPOSED to carry Zastava parts and MIGHT be able to get Zastava Serbia to send other items over for sale here,but EAA doesn't answer e-mails, either! And they are HERE! What stupid people...that's no way to run a business, is it.

Presently, there are great Zastava guns here for sale (like the even smaller 'Tokarev clone' 32ACP Zastava M70 I've seen in online auctions) but NO MAGAZINES are available for them, yet Zastava probably hasthousands of M70 (and other) magazines over there in Serbia...IF you could get them to send them HERE! Probably parts for Tokarevs also...and who knows what else, maybe even 'civilian' Tokarev holsters. For now though, all that stuff is unavailable to us here in America.

HYRYSC

imported post

Yeah, I figured that it was not going to be easy. I might just get a leather holster for a 1911 full size and see if I can adapt it to fit.

Typically I just carry my glock, but since I got a few hollow points for the tok (and it is a tackdriver to boot) I figured that I would do some carrying with it.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Most likely the OP HYRYSC above won't be here to read this (considering this post is from April of 2010), but I'm adding this UPDATE just for the record to complete this thread and for anyone looking up (keyword searching for "Tokarev" "holster" "Falco" or all those words). Lots of people in this country DO have Tokarev pistols, but civilian-carry holsters for them are STILL sadly lacking even after all these years of importing said pistols.

UPDATE:

Besides that sorry "ccwsuply.com" ("Ross" holsters) company that never responded to my e-mails a few years back (so I crossed those jerks off my list), a few months ago I found a company called Falco that makes ALL SORTS of civilian-type holsters for the Tokarev TT-33 pistol. I received my Tokarev cross-draw holster ($54.xx) not too long ago and while it's not a top-quality hoslter (craftmanship and such) it wasn't top-quality price, either, and it works nicely. Form-fitted to the Tokarev as stated in the product description. At FIRST, the retention strap was pretty tight to get snapped, but now it loosened-up just a bit and although still quite snug (which I like, don't want a sloppy/loose fit) it's just fine.

[As per usual, when I get a new holster (or leather belt, or leather ammo pouches -- and the leather looks a bit dry), my standard practice is to liberally apply anhydrous lanolin (via a heating process) to it, which I did to this holster. Makes it a bit more supple and waterproof, although it MAY darken the leather as bit -- but it always makes it a richer-looking color, IMO]

Anyway, since it's true that CIVILIAN-carry holsters for a Tokarev are almost impossible to find (meaning standard PRODUCTION holsters -- I suppose a CUSTOM holster maker would do one -- except El Paso Saddlery: They refuse to make holsters for Tokarevs so I susect they are anti-Soviet gun), I took a chance with Falco. Plus, I figured that if former Eastern Bloc countries don't know how to make holsters for Tokarevs, NO ONE does! And they have PLENTY examples of those pistols over there for reference.

Be advised, however, that although Falco has a US office, it's a European Union (?) company located in Slovakia, so when you order their products, expect to wait most of a month, especially if the item is not in stock. If it's not, they then will MAKE start making one for you...but Falco clearly states how this process works so they're not trying to hide anything.

Buying a holster being made in Slovakia from a European Union company made me a bit uneasy in that if anything went wrong, I'd likely never see my $54.xx again (no US consumer-protection laws would apply to a EU Company I guess), but it all went just how Falco lays out the process, and I DID get the order-progress e-mails, and then finally got my Tokarev holster when they said I would. As stated, it was most of a month but that was okay with me as long as I GOT the holster. And I did.

http://www.falcoholsters.com/

...and so NOW, I can either CC my Tokarev (like I HAVE to do here in TX) but can use the same holster (in the same location -- just tuck in my shirt) for OCing my Tokarev when I visit NM and CO. No longer do I need to worry about a Tokarev military FLAP HOLSTER (which is about all you can find for Tokarevs really) being considered OC or CC: My new Falco holster can be used either way depending on the situation.

In the future, should I want another holster to carry my TT-33 in some other position than cross-draw, I'd go with Falco again without any worry or concern.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
...not close enough for a proper fit in a 1911 holster (and I have both guns). Only a holster made for a Tokarev will fit properly, be it production or custom made.

Tokarevs and 1911's have lots in common design-wise (the Russians are like the Chinese: They copycat everyone else's stuff), but not in size...which is one reason I like a Tokarev: It makes for a great (and potent) CC gun, too.

And I DO like Tokarev's "simplification" (his real contribution to this gun) of the Browning design -- nice job.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

...not close enough for a proper fit in a 1911 holster (and I have both guns). Only a holster made for a Tokarev will fit properly, be it production or custom made.

Tokarevs and 1911's have lots in common design-wise (the Russians are like the Chinese: They copycat everyone else's stuff), but not in size...which is one reason I like a Tokarev: It makes for a great (and potent) CC gun, too.

And I DO like Tokarev's "simplification" (his real contribution to this gun) of the Browning design -- nice job.

Is the Tok slimmer? I have a star that I modified a french duty holster for a m-9. It is a perfect fit.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Yes, but you can guess that a .30-caliber (0.310") hole gun would be distinctly slimmer than a .45-caliber hole gun, right? ;-)

That's what makes the Tokarev a nice CC gun: Slim (a bit long in the slide though), rounded "soft" muzzle end of slide (not sharp edges that an "unmelted" 1911 has) and a short grip = nicely & comfortably concealed and lighter on the belt when OCing (unlike my heavier 1911). Plus, the trigger is OUTSTANDING...none of that American 10-lb+ triger-pull for legal-liability nonsense for old Russian guns! :)

But as mentioned, for OC all I need do is tuck in my shirt: Same crossdraw holster in same location for either form of carry.

Rather than try to describe it further, see attached pic of a 1953-made Romanian Tokarev in a Falco cross-draw holster. No, it doesn't have double-stitching and IMO, it should. Some Falco holsters ARE double-stiched, some not. This one isn't but I can live with that -- so far, so good. Not worried about it.

After all, previously I couldn't carry (OC or CC) this gun AT ALL...now I can. That's the main thing.

Attachments

• P1620099_1024x768.jpg
    P1620099_1024x768.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 5,492
Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I had the same problem with my Star Modelo, much slimmer than a 1911 the only holsters that would fit somewhat were nylon holsters unless I made one myself. The holster I bought though is definitely a open carry holster, there is absolutely no way to CC it. That is fine I only OC, plus it is a swivel holster making it more comfortable for sitting. Besides I only paid 13.50 for it from sportsmanguide. I added two Chicago screws one in the hole already there, and one more a little further down. Fits and looks good.

Just curious, when carrying do you have a loaded chamber? My understanding the Toks use a positive firing pin.

View attachment 9560

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
My previous "open carry" holster for the Tokarev was its Soviet-issue military flap holster -- but for field/SHTF use only (it's on a US Army milsurp pistol-belt) as I could never find out if the gun was or was not (legally) considered CC or OC (since you can't see the gun in it) and didn't want to find out the HARD way. But I LIKE military flap holsters as they protect the gun well in adverse conditions (one reason I am a fan of misurp guns & gear to begin with).

No, unlike most carriers, I NEVER have a round in the chamber of ANY of my carry guns (except revolvers) and so I adjust my tactics accordingly...but then again, I probably have a different mindset about carrying and confrontations (and behaving in an "uncivilized" fashion) than most people anyway -- for better or worse.

I don't even know what a "positive firing pin" is so I can't answer that one. Just know that (apparently) the Soviets didn't pay much attention to "safety" on the battlefield (original-issue Tokarevs have a half-cock "safety" only, but mine has an added safety the importer was forced to put on in order for these guns to enter the country legally -- I don't use either). Can't say I blame them: When I was in the RVN, we didn't pay much attention to safety, either (life in a combat zone is pretty "loose" and laid-back). So to me, "safety" is no big deal and highly over-rated...one of the reasons I stay away from gun ranges. I just carry in Condition 3 for other (personal) reasons...

I do look forward, however, to OCing the Tokarev in NM and CO...now that I have a civilian OC/CC holster for it. :)

Last edited:
TTC tokarev

i have an Romanian TTC tokarev there are three different gun type models to choose from on the holster site which one would i choose?

i want the Open Top Leather Belt Gun Holster just need to know what model

ie tokarev
tokarev TT-33
or tokarev TT-3

id appreciate the help

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
James,

I also have Romanians (see my post and attached Falco holster picture above) -- 2 of them. IIRC, the Romanian version is called a "Tokarev TTC" -- the TTC standing for "Tulskiy Tokarev Cugir" (made in Cugir, Romania).

ALL 3 of those names you listed are likely the VERY SAME gun (don't know what the TT-3 is, may be an error), so I don't know why they list 3 different names for the same gun.

The original WWII 7.62x25 "Tokarev TT-33" Soviet pistols -- from the beginning of production to the end -- came in only ONE model (meaning overall look, design, size and function of the pistol...any small changes, such as the added-on safties required for importation, are irrelevant when choosing a holster). The only (visual) difference I can tell between the WWII Soviet versions and the later Eastern Bloc (Soviet aligned) countries' models, is the serrations on the slide: The WWII Soviet guns have COARSE serrations while the later versions (Romanian, Polish, Yugo) have FINE serrations...coarse is better in combat and while wearing gloves! But as mentioned, this difference means nothing when it comes to choosing a holster.

So, the "Cold War" Romanian (AND Polish, AND Chinese, AND even the Yugoslavian version with the longer grip & magazine) -- in 7.62x25 Tokarev are all the SAME GUN (holster-wise) as the WWII Soviet TT-33 Tokarev.

Consequently, choose Tokarev TT-33 and that will be fine.

за Родину!

P.S. More Romanian TTC info (4 pages worth, with pics): http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu59.htm

Last edited: