• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU Police Dept. jurisdiction

nova

imported post

I've heard various things, like:

-Roads adjoining GMU property
-2 mile radius of GMU property
-Statewide

GMU PD is a state law enforcement agency, they run state government tags on their vehicles.

Today on my way back from the store I saw two FCPD cars with two vehicles stopped (accident maybe) and behind them was a slicktop GMU PD Impala.

Yes, this is OC related, because if GMU PD patrol and respond to calls beyond what people think of as "GMU" then there's a chance one might have an interaction with them while OCing, and it would be good to know how educated GMU PD is on carry laws.

hunter45

imported post

I'm not sure about jurisdiction, I've heard different things from different people, like you mentioned. As for the police academy, I'm pretty sure that GMU PD attends the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy, not the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy.

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I'm not sure about jurisdiction, I've heard different things from different people, like you mentioned. As for the police academy, I'm pretty sure that GMU PD attends the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy, not the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy.
my mistake

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
my mistake
Not often I see that ;)

I was thinking the same thing. GMU will pull people over off campus, but usually hold the perpetrator until FCPD shows up. Ive seen this about three times I think. Typically in the Summer/Fall seasons.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I'm not sure about jurisdiction,
Does it matter?

There's a Va. S. Ct. opinion holding somthing like the police can arrest outside their jurisdiction as the mere fact they are police officers does not strip them of their common law power of arrest for any breach of the peace. anybody have that case handy?

nova

imported post

Mike wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Does it matter?

There's a Va. S. Ct. opinion holding somthing like the police can arrest outside their jurisdiction as the mere fact they are police officers does not strip them of their common law power of arrest for any breach of the peace. anybody have that case handy?
Are traffic violations breach of peace?

gis

imported post

Mike wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Does it matter?

Arrest out of jusrisdiction for what? Do you mean to say that in Virginia a cop outside his/her jurisdiction can arrest for a misdemeanor and/or detain for infractions? When I was a cop in another state, I could only arrest for a felony out of jurisdiction. I could not arrest for a misdemeanor and could not enforce civil infractions, except for mutual aid purposes when activated. On the other hand, while on duty, I would frequently assist on calls and traffic stops out of jusridiction. This could explain the GMU Impala on a stop. Cops are generally busy enough that most of them would not want to deal with small stuff in someone else's jusrisdiction.

NovaCop

imported post

nova wrote:
I've heard various things, like:

-Roads adjoining GMU property
-2 mile radius of GMU property
-Statewide

GMU PD is a state law enforcement agency, they run state government tags on their vehicles.

Today on my way back from the store I saw two FCPD cars with two vehicles stopped (accident maybe) and behind them was a slicktop GMU PD Impala.

Yes, this is OC related, because if GMU PD patrol and respond to calls beyond what people think of as "GMU" then there's a chance one might have an interaction with them while OCing, and it would be good to know how educated GMU PD is on carry laws.
I don't know of any law that would prohibit an officer from backing up another officer on a traffic stop out of jurisdiction or assisting with traffic control if there is an accident scene. That really doesn't fall under powers of arrest or law enforcement (they aren't the originating officer giving the ticket etc). I know it's common to see a traffic stop out of jurisdiction (ex: coming back from training out of jurisdiction or event) and many officers will just park behind the other officer's cruiser and sit in the car to watch over the stop (professional courtesy).

On a side note, when completely outside of jurisdiction, the officer still has powers of arrest just like a citizen (felonies/breach of peace). I know most officers would only act during serious situations since you are still holding yourself and department professionally and civilly liable. Best to be a great witness than intervene in minor issues.

Like mentioned above, GMU attends the NVCJA, and Fairfax County now has their own academy. It is interesting to note that Fairfax County was one of the original creators of the NVCJA but the department grew too large and it became cost effective to create their own academy. However, there is still mutual agreements with both academies, which allow officers from all over NOVA (including state police) to attend classes at both academies. Although right now with the budgets, classes are difficult to get into document.write('/images/emoticons/banghead.gif');
banghead.gif

And totally off topic.... when there is a crime and a vehicle is involved, please make sure to write down the plate number. The make, model, color, door dings, and vanity bumper stickers should come after (as you can tell this was recently an issue for me). Plate numbers will make it very easy to catch them.

W.E.G.

imported post

Take it from the Chief:
http://gazette.gmu.edu/articles/5081

I will speculate that the GMU officers are appointed as Special Conservators of the Peace, and with their jurisdiction limited by the appointment-order to those areas specified by the chief in his remarks in the link above.

I haven't been able to find anything in the Virginia Administrative Code that would otherwise limit the GMU officers' jurisdiction.

That's the way I would want it if I were the Chief. I know I wouldn't want my campus officers making off-campus traffic stops while on donut runs.

W.E.G.

imported post

An alternative explanation of the university officers' authority may lie in the combination of these VAC sections:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+23-232
and
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+23-233

The more I think about it, this is probably the more likely explanation than the special conservator of the peace explanation.

In application, its a distinction without a difference, as the officers' jurisdiction is still specified by the appointment-order of the Circuit Court. The only "technical" difference being that the university employee is a "police officer" rather than a "special conservator of the peace" -- understanding that the powers of either are the same.

nova

imported post

Thanks for the info everyone. What NovaCop said makes sense, considering the GMU car was stopped behind the FCPD. Also thanks for the history of the different academies...nice to know more about my county.:)

W.E.G.

imported post

On this whole issue of what sort of traffic violation constitutes a breach of the peace; and what can police officers, deputy sheriffs or conservators of the peace do outside their jurisdiction, there is an interesting Virginia Court of Appeals case from 2005.

Out-of-jurisdiction deputy sheriff makes citizen's arrest for DUI.

Read it for what its worth.

http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opncavwp/0560042.pdf

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Most Departments limit their Officers due mostly to Budget and Manpower allocation.

Anyone can make a citizens arrest for a felony or BOP.
Now, the interesting thing is that if they make the arrest as a Citizen, the constitutional limits on search and seizure, don't apply.

Somewhere here, I posted case law about two off duty airport cops that caught a DUI at a stoplight, while in one of their private cars.

They searched the man and car while waiting for the local cops and found drugs. He appealed the conviction and the court ruled that the constitutional limits protected the citizen from the government, not another Citizen.

Now the question I have is, if I'm pulled by a Cop out of his venue and decide I don't want to be searched and knock him on his azz....am I guilty of felony assault of a Police Officer or simple assault of a Citizen ?:?

NovaCop

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Most Departments limit their Officers due mostly to Budget and Manpower allocation.

Now, the interesting thing is that if they make the arrest as a Citizen, the constitutional limits on search and seizure, don't apply.

Somewhere here, I posted case law about two off duty airport cops that caught a DUI at a stoplight, while in one of their private cars.

They searched the man and car while waiting for the local cops and found drugs. He appealed the conviction and the court ruled that the constitutional limits protected the citizen from the government, not another Citizen.

Now the question I have is, if I'm pulled by a Cop out of his venue and decide I don't want to be searched and knock him on his azz....am I guilty of felony assault of a Police Officer or simple assault of a Citizen ?:?
Good question. Hmmm I can't recall a case of this occurring although I do remember someone bringing this up during legal class. The instructor stated that if you are acting as a citizen, then most likely you would be charged as such. A commonwealth attorney may charge with the felony and let the court decide.

Someone questioned above about LEO's out of jurisdiction and DUI. DUI's are obviously breach of peace misdemeanors and would be ok to detain. Most likely the officer would just detain until the local LEO's can come.

Can you cite what case law that allowed the officers to search if they were acting as citizens? That is a surprise.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Good question. Hmmm I can't recall a case of this occurring although I do remember someone bringing this up during legal class. The instructor stated that if you are acting as a citizen, then most likely you would be charged as such. A commonwealth attorney may charge with the felony and let the court decide.

Someone questioned above about LEO's out of jurisdiction and DUI. DUI's are obviously breach of peace misdemeanors and would be ok to detain. Most likely the officer would just detain until the local LEO's can come.

Can you cite what case law that allowed the officers to search if they were acting as citizens? That is a surprise.
I'll have to look for it. It's been a year or so since I posted that. The Search issue is common knowledge and I should be able to pull up other cases.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

§ 23-234. Powers and duties; jurisdiction.

A campus police officer appointed as provided in § 23-233 or appointed and activated pursuant to § 23-233.1 may exercise the powers and duties conferred by law upon police officers of cities, towns, or counties, and shall be so deemed, including but not limited to the provisions of Chapters 5 (§ 19.2-52 et seq.), 7 (§ 19.2-71 et seq.), and 23 (§ 19.2-387 et seq.) of Title 19.2, (i) upon any property owned or controlled by the relevant public or private institution of higher education, or, upon request, any property owned or controlled by another public or private institution of higher education and upon the streets, sidewalks, and highways, immediately adjacent thereto, (ii) pursuant to a mutual aid agreement provided for in § 15.2-1727 between the governing board of a public or private institution and such other institution of higher education, public or private, in the Commonwealth or adjacent political subdivisions, (iii) in close pursuit of a person as provided in § 19.2-77, and (iv) upon approval by the appropriate circuit court of a petition by the local governing body for concurrent jurisdiction in designated areas with the police officers of the county, city, or town in which the institution, its satellite campuses, or other properties are located. The local governing body may petition the circuit court pursuant only to a request by the local law-enforcement agency for concurrent jurisdiction.

nova

imported post

user wrote:
§ 23-234. Powers and duties; jurisdiction.

A campus police officer appointed as provided in § 23-233 or appointed and activated pursuant to § 23-233.1 may exercise the powers and duties conferred by law upon police officers of cities, towns, or counties, and shall be so deemed, including but not limited to the provisions of Chapters 5 (§ 19.2-52 et seq.), 7 (§ 19.2-71 et seq.), and 23 (§ 19.2-387 et seq.) of Title 19.2, (i) upon any property owned or controlled by the relevant public or private institution of higher education, or, upon request, any property owned or controlled by another public or private institution of higher education and upon the streets, sidewalks, and highways, immediately adjacent thereto, (ii) pursuant to a mutual aid agreement provided for in § 15.2-1727 between the governing board of a public or private institution and such other institution of higher education, public or private, in the Commonwealth or adjacent political subdivisions, (iii) in close pursuit of a person as provided in § 19.2-77, and (iv) upon approval by the appropriate circuit court of a petition by the local governing body for concurrent jurisdiction in designated areas with the police officers of the county, city, or town in which the institution, its satellite campuses, or other properties are located. The local governing body may petition the circuit court pursuant only to a request by the local law-enforcement agency for concurrent jurisdiction.
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed!

Vanns40

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

IF, he identifies himself as a police officer AND he is certified in the Commonwealth of VA AND, you knock him on his *ss, you are guilty of a felony. IF however, he identifies himself as a police officer and he is NOT certified by the Commonwealth, HE is guilty of impersonating a police officer and YOU can have him arrested!

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Vanns40 wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

IF, he identifies himself as a police officer AND he is certified in the Commonwealth of VA AND, you knock him on his *ss, you are guilty of a felony. IF however, he identifies himself as a police officer and he is NOT certified by the Commonwealth, HE is guilty of impersonating a police officer and YOU can have him arrested!

I seldom offer any opinions on this subject, because it's one in which you basically have to be right - there's no "good faith" or "reasonable belief" defense.

That said, I would point out that I'm a "lawyer" everywhere because I've been graduated from an accredited school of law. But I'm only an "attorney" in Virginia, because that's where I'm licensed (though that gets me into certain federal courts as well). Same principle applies to cops. Unless there's a statute that says so, a cop's territorial authority pretty much ends at the borders of the state, county, city, or town he's working for. A Fairfax County police officer has no greaterauthority in Dinwiddie than he does in Georgia. He's not a "law enforcement officer" in those places.

Point two, and the one that's potentially dangerous. In Virginia, every person has an absolute right to resist an unlawful arrest, and to use such degree of force as is necessary to do so, including deadly force. Now, consider that Title 18.2 and 19.2 of the Virginia Code cover crimes and criminal procedure. I can't even remember whether that's in two or three volumes, total, but I can tell you that I don't have it all memorized, though I've got a better handle on it than most attorneys. And it changes every year in a couple of dozen ways which are not catalogued anywhere. I would not trust my own knowledge of the law, absent an eggregious and blatant violation by a cop, to feel justified in resisting.

That guy, Anderson, I think his name was, in Roanoke who was arrested because he didn't want to talk about his gun, could have lawfully resisted arrest to the point of shooting at least one of the cops in my opinion. But I'm pretty sure he'd have wound up dead if he'd done so. And that's because the cops would have murdered him in retaliation. No question in my mind. His family might have had a cause of action for wrongful death, but where's the witnesses? And who's going to prosecute the cops for murder, much less abduction?

The moral of the story is this: you may be able to knock him on his arse, and you may be able to have him arrested, from a strictly legal point of view. But as a practical matter, you're likely to wind up dead and the cop will not be arrested, even if you can find someone willing to take the complaint.

2a4all

imported post

user wrote:
Vanns40 wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I seldom offer any opinions on this subject, because it's one in which you basically have to be right - there's no "good faith" or "reasonable belief" defense.

That said, I would point out that I'm a "lawyer" everywhere because I've been graduated from an accredited school of law. But I'm only an "attorney" in Virginia, because that's where I'm licensed (though that gets me into certain federal courts as well). Same principle applies to cops. Unless there's a statute that says so, a cop's territorial authority pretty much ends at the borders of the state, county, city, or town he's working for. A Fairfax County police officer has no greaterauthority in Dinwiddie than he does in Georgia. He's not a "law enforcement officer" in those places.

Point two, and the one that's potentially dangerous. In Virginia, every person has an absolute right to resist an unlawful arrest, and to use such degree of force as is necessary to do so, including deadly force. Now, consider that Title 18.2 and 19.2 of the Virginia Code cover crimes and criminal procedure. I can't even remember whether that's in two or three volumes, total, but I can tell you that I don't have it all memorized, though I've got a better handle on it than most attorneys. And it changes every year in a couple of dozen ways which are not catalogued anywhere. I would not trust my own knowledge of the law, absent an eggregious and blatant violation by a cop, to feel justified in resisting.

That guy, Anderson, I think his name was, in Roanoke who was arrested because he didn't want to talk about his gun, could have lawfully resisted arrest to the point of shooting at least one of the cops in my opinion. But I'm pretty sure he'd have wound up dead if he'd done so. And that's because the cops would have murdered him in retaliation. No question in my mind. His family might have had a cause of action for wrongful death, but where's the witnesses? And who's going to prosecute the cops for murder, much less abduction?

The moral of the story is this: you may be able to knock him on his arse, and you may be able to have him arrested, from a strictly legal point of view. But as a practical matter, you're likely to wind up dead and the cop will not be arrested, even if you can find someone willing to take the complaint.
So how do we defend against this mode of tyranny?