• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.S. News & World Report Rebuttal

neuroblades

imported post

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2010/04/15/should-open-carry-of-guns-be-the-law-of-the-land/comments/#4194329

Mr. Smith of Utah speaks of "not" being against gun rights but being against gun wrongs, yet after reading his full diatribe it becomes quite clear that he is in fact, NOT for gun rights at all. Yes, guns can be used to kill people just like a car or truck can. Do we ban production of motor vehicles because of drunk people? NO! Who, Mr. Smith, do you think should have the gun rights if not the American citizens who are legal to carry under the 2nd Amendment?

Guns have two (4) purposes: Plinking, Hunting, Defense of America& Self-Defense! If I never have to draw my sidearm in self-defense, I shall be grateful for that fact upon my death bed someday. But there is one fact I can assure you, I will not be on that death bed due to some individual that intends to gun me down! Those of us that do open carry should be ever watchful of all those around us that have foul intentions and ill-thoughts. We must be situationally aware of our surroundings and those in it.

There are two (2) sides to open carry as I see it: Self-Defense & Educational. Self-defense is understood, Educational is not so well known apparently though. When I open carry, from time to time I do have people that will ask me "if I have a license to openly carry that gun". When I'm asked this I have a chance to educate someone about the law of open carry and maybe add a new person to our ranks. Here's an example of how an OC encounter should go:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum25/37030.html

It is not lightly that we carry either open or conceled! It is a heavy responsibility that we shoulder daily as we set forth into the world, not knowing if today might be our last day alive. Granted, all of this becomes second nature over time and we learn to accept this responsibility daily as we wake. We can NEVER be too safe or too cautious. Sadly, the world is becoming more dangerous with each and every passing day and that's NOT because of guns, it's because of many factors: unemployment, lack of jobs, rising expenses, lack of money, and people becoming more and more desparate. That coupled with that fact that criminals and those with bad intention will always have a means to commit their crimes upon the citizens, like wolves preying upon the grazing sheep. Sadly, there are not enough law enforcement officers out there on the streets to be able to protect everyone and protection is not their duty alone, we are as responsible for our own self-defense as they are, in fact, more so!

Don't get wrong, I am a Christian first, an American second, and a Gun Owner third! I believe in God, my Country, and my Gun! It would be a great thing if we could take all the guns and weapons away from the criminal element completely but sadly, that will never happen! Until that day though, I shall continue to open carry for self-defense & educational purposes and concealed carry.