• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portland Press Herald - City councilor Dan Skolnik lables bearing arms 'anti-social behavior'

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Open-carry-event-prompts-counter-demonstration.html

Open-carry event prompts counter-demonstration

By From Press Herald staff reports news@mainetoday.com
Staff Writers

PORTLAND — Anti-gun activists are organizing a counter-demonstration in response to an “open carry” firearm event planned for this Sunday.

. . .

Anti-gun activists say that while carrying a holstered weapon in public is allowed under state law, they don’t think it’s safe or responsible in Maine’s largest city.

We’re not going to normalize anti-social behavior,” said Dan Skolnik, a city councilor who chairs Portland’s Public Safety Committee.

The open carry event reflects a national movement in which gun owners are asserting their Constitutional right to bear arms.

. . .

44Brent

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Can he be sued for libel?

Yes, but the defendants will immediately have the case tossed for failure to state a claim.

A better response would be to demand that Dan Skolnik proceed with disarming police officers, if he really believes what he says.

thumper

imported post

44Brent wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
Can he be sued for libel?

Yes, but the defendants will immediately have the case tossed for failure to state a claim.

A better response would be to demand that Dan Skolnik proceed with disarming police officers, if he really believes what he says.

You got that right. This is the same guy who tried to prevent PPD from using Tazers.

I wouldn't put anything past this guy. He is just contrary. It gets him face time. Who said 'no publicity is bad publicity'?:question:

melinuxfool

imported post

A group of people with a common interest gathering to socialize at a BBQ is now anti-social? Pardon me if I don't see the logic there.

Good luck all on Sunday. I won't be able to make it, but I will be thinking of you, and watching for news coverage.

I hope the weather holds up as well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

We’re not going to normalize anti-social behavior,” said Dan Skolnik, a city councilor who chairs Portland’s Public Safety Committee.

He is not going to normalize that which is legal, by encouraging anti-social behavior.

Why does that not make sense? Always it is those that are opposed to self-defense and the Bill of Rights that ignore the law and trample on the legitimate actions of others.

Let them continue to show themselves for the fools that they are - they don't need any help. They are doing a fine job. Have faith in the people - they will see who is the more reasonable and right.

Yata hey

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

As opposed to robbing,raping and pillaging which I assume is more along the councilman's idea of social behavior.

Reagan Rules

imported post

I am a new member; bless all of you for helping preserve one of the fundamental rights required fora free society.

I am interested as to how Mr. Skolnik defines anti-social behavior. (From Dictionary.com: anti-social - (1) unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people; (2) antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening and (3) opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted)

Did Mr. Skolnik call the topless young "ladies" marching in downtown Portland recently anti-social? Such behavior fits numbers 1 and 3 above. I know that I would sooner have my young children next toa woman lawfully carrying a sidearm than baring her chest.

Further, then-candidate Skolnik, on election day in 2007, responded to his opponents greeting him outside a polling place by dropping an f-bomb on one and by calling the other an A-hole. Certainly anti-social (see 1-3 above) but at least it appears as though he supports the First Amendment.

Progressives reveal themselves as liars and hypocrites with regularity; Mr. Skolnik is no exception.

Carry on.

PavePusher

imported post

Reagan Rules wrote:
I am a new member; bless all of you for helping preserve one of the fundamental rights required fora free society.

I am interested as to how Mr. Skolnik defines anti-social behavior. (From Dictionary.com: anti-social - (1) unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people; (2) antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening and (3) opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted)

Did Mr. Skolnik call the topless young "ladies" marching in downtown Portland recently anti-social? Such behavior fits numbers 1 and 3 above. I know that I would sooner have my young children next toa woman lawfully carrying a sidearm than baring her chest.

Further, then-candidate Skolnik, on election day in 2007, responded to his opponents greeting him outside a polling place by dropping an f-bomb on one and by calling the other an A-hole. Certainly anti-social (see 1-3 above) but at least it appears as though he supports the First Amendment.

Progressives reveal themselves as liars and hypocrites with regularity; Mr. Skolnik is no exception.

Carry on.

Welcome Reagan! May I point out that those opposed to Open Carry are not only in the "Progressive" camp? An altogether depressing number of "Conservatives" are against it as well.

There is, unfortunately, no Party monopoly on not comprehending Civil Rights.

Hope you enjoy your visit here, come back often!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Reagan Rules wrote:

Carry on.
Welcome Reagan to our world.

Mr. Skolnik uses the only technique available to him of attempting to hang negative labels on sincere law abiding citizens who will not roll over to his will. "Anti-social" is likely but the first verbal attack.

Those preceding him have stooped to suggesting that we are but a radical fringe element who tote guns, threaten and intimidate people, brandish firearms and cause fear. This is misdirection in its basest form - simply scare tactics for the uninformed. How sad that he does not trust the very people that he is supposed to represent.

What would happen if Mr. Skolnik took a more tolerant and enlightened approach? Nothing except a reduction in crime and a much more polite society, but then Mr. Skolnik would have no purpose or reason to justify his existence.

So you see it is all about his own self-importance and justifying his own value. It is not about honesty, truth, facts or doing what is right. Mr. Skolnik can't accept that people don't need him to think for them - you threaten his existence by taking responsibility for your own safety.

Mr. Skolnik wants you to be all of the things of which he accuses you. Only then can he have value. He is doomed to failure.

You will not have to make him look foolish. Be polite and patient, he will do any excellent job on his own.

Yata hey

KansasMustang

imported post

Well hopefully the "antis" will know not to get violent. I'd hate for them to get stupid amongst all those "anti-social" sociopaths carrying openly. Watch your P's and Q's Miane folks, they might try to start something, which wouldn't surprise me. Be very aware of anyone trying to attempt to dis-arm. Make us all proud and be carefull!:D