Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Washington Post - Sen. Webb's office refuses to commit to federal ban on private sales at gun shows

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10.html?sub=AR

    SNIP

    A group that includes victims of the Virginia Tech massacre and their families said Monday that Sen. Jim Webb (D‑Va.) met privately with them and gave his commitment to support a federal law requiring background checks for firearms buyers at gun shows.



    "Basically, what's going on in this country is the normalization of guns everywhere and anywhere," Spangler said. "We are fighting that on every front."



    Webb's office released a statement saying the senator endorsed efforts to keep guns from falling into the wrong hands, but the release was noncommital about Webb's support for the so‑called gun show loophole.



  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Sounds like Webb is talking out of both sides of his mouth again. What a horrible excuse for a Senator. I'm embarrassed that he spoils the good name of Virginia.

    TFred

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ohio, ,
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    Sounds like Webb is talking out of both sides of his mouth again.** What a horrible excuse for a Senator.* I'm embarrassed that he spoils the good name of Virginia.

    TFred

    Do you disagree with his overall politics or just this one issue? I would certainly disagree with him on the issue but being that he is a former Sec. of the Navy, Annapolis Graduate, previously active U.S. Marine w/combat action, and oh yeah, a Navy Cross recipient, I'm not really seeing how the word embarrassment belongs anywhere near his name.

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, VA
    Posts
    676

    Post imported post

    OCforAll wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Sounds like Webb is talking out of both sides of his mouth again. What a horrible excuse for a Senator. I'm embarrassed that he spoils the good name of Virginia.

    TFred

    Do you disagree with his overall politics or just this one issue? I would certainly disagree with him on the issue but being that he is a former Sec. of the Navy, Annapolis Graduate, previously active U.S. Marine w/combat action, and oh yeah, a Navy Cross recipient, I'm not really seeing how the word embarrassment belongs anywhere near his name.
    It's obvious to me TFred's comments refer to Senator Webb's conduct as a U.S. senator.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

    Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,128

    Post imported post

    Like alot of gun rights supporters, I find it kindof hard to get really worked up about the idea of a gun show "loophole" bill.

    What mainly bothers me about it is that it might be a first step to requiring background checks for all private sales, or used in conjunction with other possible future laws as some kind of de facto gun registration. I also don't like the idea of giving the Bradys a "win" on anything.

    On the other hand, I can't see any of the legal changes I am really concerned abouthappening in the current political climate. And if the political climate changed so much that a universal background check bill or a gun registration scheme actually had a hope ofpassing, there would be nothing I can see about a "closing the gunshow loophole" type law that would make the additional steps any more likely.

    The idea that I most favor at the momentis a voluntary instant check system that grants immunity from certain types of suits if a background check is conducted.

    I guarantee that Senator Webb is a true gun rights supporter who would respond to strong legitmate concerns about "gun show loophole" legislation from his constituents.

    If such concerns exist, now would obviously be a good time to share them with the Senator.



  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    The Donkey wrote:
    Like alot of gun rights supporters, I find it kindof hard to get really worked up about the idea of a gun show "loophole" bill.

    What mainly bothers me about it is that it might be a first step to requiring background checks for all private sales, or used in conjunction with other possible future laws as some kind of de facto gun registration. I also don't like the idea of giving the Bradys a "win" on anything.

    On the other hand, I can't see any of the legal changes I am really concerned abouthappening in the current political climate. And if the political climate changed so much that a universal background check bill or a gun registration scheme actually had a hope ofpassing, there would be nothing I can see about a "closing the gunshow loophole" type law that would make the additional steps any more likely.

    The idea that I most favor at the momentis a voluntary instant check system that grants immunity from certain types of suits if a background check is conducted.

    I guarantee that Senator Webb is a true gun rights supporter who would respond to strong legitmate concerns about "gun show loophole" legislation from his constituents.

    If such concerns exist, now would obviously be a good time to share them with the Senator.

    Why are 4 Virginia Democrats now pushing for gun control?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,128

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    The Donkey wrote:
    Like alot of gun rights supporters, I find it kindof hard to get really worked up about the idea of a gun show "loophole" bill.

    What mainly bothers me about it is that it might be a first step to requiring background checks for all private sales, or used in conjunction with other possible future laws as some kind of de facto gun registration. I also don't like the idea of giving the Bradys a "win" on anything.

    On the other hand, I can't see any of the legal changes I am really concerned abouthappening in the current political climate. And if the political climate changed so much that a universal background check bill or a gun registration scheme actually had a hope ofpassing, there would be nothing I can see about a "closing the gunshow loophole" type law that would make the additional steps any more likely.

    The idea that I most favor at the momentis a voluntary instant check system that grants immunity from certain types of suits if a background check is conducted.

    I guarantee that Senator Webb is a true gun rights supporter who would respond to strong legitmate concerns about "gun show loophole" legislation from his constituents.

    If such concerns exist, now would obviously be a good time to share them with the Senator.

    Why are 4 Virginia Democrats now pushing for gun control?
    Who?

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Sen Webb, committing to that action per the OP, Reps. Moran, Connolly, and Scott according to this story.

    http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...&catid=158

    Lawmakers Work To End Gun Show Loop Hole
    RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Three Virginia congressmen are asking their colleagues to support closingthe so-called gun-show loophole.
    Democrats Jim Moran, Bobby Scott and Gerald Connolly sent a letter to members of the House of Representativesasking them to support a bill which would require private sellers to perform background checks on buyers at gun shows.




  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    OCforAll wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Sounds like Webb is talking out of both sides of his mouth again. What a horrible excuse for a Senator. I'm embarrassed that he spoils the good name of Virginia.

    TFred
    Do you disagree with his overall politics or just this one issue? I would certainly disagree with him on the issue but being that he is a former Sec. of the Navy, Annapolis Graduate, previously active U.S. Marine w/combat action, and oh yeah, a Navy Cross recipient, I'm not really seeing how the word embarrassment belongs anywhere near his name.
    I'll grant that he's better than a Schumer or a Reid, but I can probably count on one hand the number of things he's done that I like... and still have fingers left over.

    He and Warner both ran as moderates, and pro-gun. They both voted to destroy the greatest health-care system in the world, and they both voted to confirm Holder, Sotomayor, and any number of other rabidly anti-gun Obama appointees. They are both qualified to be classic poster-children who illustrate the fact that there is indeed, no such thing as a "moderate Democrat".

    I assure you, many if not most of his former associates in the Navy are just as embarrassed as Virginia is. What's the point in fighting for your country if you are just going to come back and destroy it in the Senate?

    TFred

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ohio, ,
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    [user=17209]
    They both voted to destroy the greatest health-care system in the world
    TFred
    Was that a joke (seriously)? The US isn't even in the top 8 in health care worldwide yet we spend the most, go bankrupt the most, and still don't have complete coverage. Call it the greatest country on earth yeah, but our health care system is certainly not even close. It's just not.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    Check out how they come up with the rankings.

  12. #12
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    OCforAll wrote:
    [user=17209]
    They both voted to destroy the greatest health-care system in the world
    TFred
    Was that a joke (seriously)? The US isn't even in the top 8 in health care worldwide yet we spend the most, go bankrupt the most, and still don't have complete coverage. Call it the greatest country on earth yeah, but our health care system is certainly not even close. It's just not.
    When you have a serious medical problem, you are free to go to any country in the world you want for treatment. As for me, I'll stick with the rest of the world's elite, rich and powerful and get my treatment right here.

    TFred

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ohio, ,
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    OCforAll wrote:
    [user=17209]
    They both voted to destroy the greatest health-care system in the world
    TFred
    Was that a joke (seriously)? The US isn't even in the top 8 in health care worldwide yet we spend the most, go bankrupt the most, and still don't have complete coverage. Call it the greatest country on earth yeah, but our health care system is certainly not even close. It's just not.
    When you have a serious medical problem, you are free to go to any country in the world you want for treatment.* As for me, I'll stick with the rest of the world's elite, rich and powerful and get my treatment right here.*

    TFred

    You're assuming that the serious condition is covered, which is not always the case for all people. If you want to say that we have the best health care system in the world so long as the person is rich or not being denied coverage then I'd agree with you. But since we don't live in utopia and 65% of bankruptcies in this country are the byproduct of that same system, I'd have to disagree with the general statement. The majority of American citizens do not have the best health care system in the world.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    Again, check out how they came up with the rankings.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ohio, ,
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    Check out who, where, what? Who is they?

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    OCforAll wrote:
    Check out who, where, what? Who is they?
    You said we weren't even in the top 8. I suggested you check out how those rankings are determined.

    You will be surprised--if you choose to check.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ohio, ,
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    OCforAll wrote:
    Check out who, where, what? Who is they?
    You said we weren't even in the top 8.* I suggested you check out how those rankings are determined.

    You will be surprised--if you choose to check.
    I'm not sure exactly what is it you're referring to. You could mean anything from the ignorant who think socialism relates to health care to the moron who had the sign saying keep government out of his medicare, to a report by the Heritage Foundation. Numbers are skewed on both sides so specifically, what is it that you feel is going to surprise someone? What am I supposed to check, the "internets"?

  18. #18
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    The Donkey wrote:
    Like alot of gun rights supporters, I find it kindof hard to get really worked up about the idea of a gun show "loophole" bill.

    What mainly bothers me about it is that it might be a first step to requiring background checks for all private sales, or used in conjunction with other possible future laws as some kind of de facto gun registration. I also don't like the idea of giving the Bradys a "win" on anything.

    On the other hand, I can't see any of the legal changes I am really concerned abouthappening in the current political climate. And if the political climate changed so much that a universal background check bill or a gun registration scheme actually had a hope ofpassing, there would be nothing I can see about a "closing the gunshow loophole" type law that would make the additional steps any more likely.

    The idea that I most favor at the momentis a voluntary instant check system that grants immunity from certain types of suits if a background check is conducted.

    I guarantee that Senator Webb is a true gun rights supporter who would respond to strong legitmate concerns about "gun show loophole" legislation from his constituents.

    If such concerns exist, now would obviously be a good time to share them with the Senator.

    Give them an inch, they will take a mile. Once the loophole that does not exist is closed, they can then argue that if requiring background checks at a gun show for private sales is a good idea, it must be a good idea to require them for all private sales. It's only common sense. They love that common sense you know.


  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA, ,
    Posts
    689

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10.html?sub=AR

    SNIP

    A group that includes victims of the Virginia Tech massacre and their families said Monday that Sen. Jim Webb (D‑Va.) met privately with them and gave his commitment to support a federal law requiring background checks for firearms buyers at gun shows.



    "Basically, what's going on in this country is the normalization of guns everywhere and anywhere," Spangler said. "We are fighting that on every front."



    Webb's office released a statement saying the senator endorsed efforts to keep guns from falling into the wrong hands, but the release was noncommital about Webb's support for the so‑called gun show loophole.

    Basically, Spangler said that Webb would support a federal law. However, Webb's office has basically denied Spangler's statement. Choose for yourself on that one.

  20. #20
    Regular Member One_Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Uncertain, Texas, USA
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    Webb may have been a Marine at one point in his life, but a lot of his actions since he arrived in Washington are not the actions of any honorable Marine I ever met in my ten years in service with the Corps. He is a creature of the polls and not a firm gun-rights man at all. Check his voting record since he entered politics.

  21. #21
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    OCforAll wrote:
    Was that a joke (seriously)? The US isn't even in the top 8 in health care worldwide yet we spend the most, go bankrupt the most, and still don't have complete coverage. Call it the greatest country on earth yeah, but our health care system is certainly not even close. It's just not.
    This is your quote! eye95 is asking you to take a closer look at how that ranking was determined. It is SOP on this board to ask for, and to expect sources to be provided. You don't seem to understand the question, much less the answer.

    TFred

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    383

    Post imported post

    One_Shot wrote:
    Webb may have been a Marine at one point in his life, but a lot of his actions since he arrived in Washington are not the actions of any honorable Marine I ever met in my ten years in service with the Corps. He is a creature of the polls and not a firm gun-rights man at all. Check his voting record since he entered politics.
    I disagree with how he has conducted himself as a Senator. He voted for the health care bill, and after talked about the concerns he had with the bill. Why vote for it in the first place?

    He supports a Value added Tax(VAT) which is a tax that is added to goods before reaching the market. As if we need more taxes.

    There are other issues, but these are the most recent two.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,128

    Post imported post

    rebfan wrote:
    One_Shot wrote:
    Webb may have been a Marine at one point in his life, but a lot of his actions since he arrived in Washington are not the actions of any honorable Marine I ever met in my ten years in service with the Corps. He is a creature of the polls and not a firm gun-rights man at all. Check his voting record since he entered politics.
    I disagree with how he has conducted himself as a Senator. He voted for the health care bill, and after talked about the concerns he had with the bill. Why vote for it in the first place?

    He supports a Value added Tax(VAT) which is a tax that is added to goods before reaching the market. As if we need more taxes.

    There are other issues, but these are the most recent two.

    On every vote so far, Webb has voted for gun rights.

    Listening to Senator Webb on health care gave me and a lot of other democrats indigestion. He is a manwho tendsto say what is on his mind, even when it goes against where his party is at. But he never said he would vote against it -- andvoted the right way as far as I am concerned.

    On the VAT, if deficits are important to you, this seems like part of the answer. Republicans generally favor this type of tax over income taxes, I guess, because it is regressive, and they like capital formation. But I haven't seen anything Webb has said on this issue.

  24. #24
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    The Donkey wrote:
    On every vote so far, Webb has voted for gun rights.
    Are you just not paying attention, or what?

    What part of confirming Eric Holder could possibly be perceived as "for gun rights?"

    We're done with him.

    TFred

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

    In 2000 the World Health Organization ranked the worlds health systems. The US ranked 37th on the list.

    No idea how accurate the information is. Just a quick google search.

    Sorry for posting off topic as well, but the question was raised.

    Also to go along with that... more stats from that site.

    US was 2nd in spending, and life expectancy was 24th.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •