• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Post - Sen. Webb's office refuses to commit to federal ban on private sales at gun shows

TFred

imported post

OCforAll wrote:
Was that a joke (seriously)? The US isn't even in the top 8 in health care worldwide yet we spend the most, go bankrupt the most, and still don't have complete coverage. Call it the greatest country on earth yeah, but our health care system is certainly not even close. It's just not.
This is your quote! eye95 is asking you to take a closer look at how that ranking was determined. It is SOP on this board to ask for, and to expect sources to be provided. You don't seem to understand the question, much less the answer.

TFred

rebfan

imported post

One_Shot wrote:
Webb may have been a Marine at one point in his life, but a lot of his actions since he arrived in Washington are not the actions of any honorable Marine I ever met in my ten years in service with the Corps. He is a creature of the polls and not a firm gun-rights man at all. Check his voting record since he entered politics.

I disagree with how he has conducted himself as a Senator. He voted for the health care bill, and after talked about the concerns he had with the bill. Why vote for it in the first place?

He supports a Value added Tax(VAT) which is a tax that is added to goods before reaching the market. As if we need more taxes.

There are other issues, but these are the most recent two.

The Donkey

imported post

rebfan wrote:
One_Shot wrote:
Webb may have been a Marine at one point in his life, but a lot of his actions since he arrived in Washington are not the actions of any honorable Marine I ever met in my ten years in service with the Corps. He is a creature of the polls and not a firm gun-rights man at all. Check his voting record since he entered politics.

I disagree with how he has conducted himself as a Senator. He voted for the health care bill, and after talked about the concerns he had with the bill. Why vote for it in the first place?

He supports a Value added Tax(VAT) which is a tax that is added to goods before reaching the market. As if we need more taxes.

On every vote so far, Webb has voted for gun rights.

Listening to Senator Webb on health care gave me and a lot of other democrats indigestion. He is a manwho tendsto say what is on his mind, even when it goes against where his party is at. But he never said he would vote against it -- andvoted the right way as far as I am concerned.

On the VAT, if deficits are important to you, this seems like part of the answer. Republicans generally favor this type of tax over income taxes, I guess, because it is regressive, and they like capital formation. But I haven't seen anything Webb has said on this issue.

Ski098

imported post

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

In 2000 the World Health Organization ranked the worlds health systems. The US ranked 37th on the list.

No idea how accurate the information is. Just a quick google search.

Sorry for posting off topic as well, but the question was raised.

Also to go along with that... more stats from that site.

US was 2nd in spending, and life expectancy was 24th.

The Donkey

imported post

TFred wrote:
The Donkey wrote:
Are you just not paying attention, or what?

What part of confirming Eric Holder could possibly be perceived as "for gun rights?"

We're done with him.

TFred
Not a substantive vote on gun issues.

eye95

imported post

Ski098 wrote:
http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

In 2000 the World Health Organization ranked the worlds health systems. The US ranked 37th on the list.

No idea how accurate the information is. Just a quick google search.

Sorry for posting off topic as well, but the question was raised.

Also to go along with that... more stats from that site.

US was 2nd in spending, and life expectancy was 24th.
Please check HOW they came up with those rankings.

RussP

imported post

It is interesting that on the email contact form on their websites, Warner has the topic "Second Amendment Rights", Webb does not.

Emails sent to both this morning.

TFred

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
TFred wrote:
The Donkey wrote:
Are you just not paying attention, or what?

What part of confirming Eric Holder could possibly be perceived as "for gun rights?"

We're done with him.

TFred
Not a substantive vote on gun issues.
The man is in charge of the BATFE, the primary agency charged with enforcing all Federal gun laws. And you don't think that's a "substative vote on gun issues?"

I'm starting to understand things a little better now.

TFred

rebfan

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
rebfan wrote:
One_Shot wrote:

Listening to Senator Webb on health care gave me and a lot of other democrats indigestion. He is a manwho tendsto say what is on his mind, even when it goes against where his party is at. But he never said he would vote against it -- andvoted the right way as far as I am concerned.

On the VAT, if deficits are important to you, this seems like part of the answer. Republicans generally favor this type of tax over income taxes, I guess, because it is regressive, and they like capital formation. But I haven't seen anything Webb has said on this issue.

Voting for more unfunded mandates and to add to our debt is a not a good thing. Furthermore, it goes against the majority in his own State let alone the Country.

Too much spending is the problem, additional taxes will just give them an excuse to spend more money. Webb supports the VAT. Below is a link to a Senate vote.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=2&vote=00115

SIGguy229

imported post

If anyone is for the VAT...it's because you've never been to Europe. I've been in Germany for about 10 days (of a 3 year tour)...the VAT blows....19% on top of the advertised price.

This is a never-ending money train for politicians who cannot spend within their means...both Dems and Repubs. Why the hell would we allow the VAT and bleed money from every orifice?

F--- that....I'm still waiting to see what social programs are being cut....because all I've heard for the last year+ is "spend spend spend"

The Donkey

imported post

rebfan wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

Voting for more unfunded mandates and to add to our debt is a not a good thing. Furthermore, it goes against the majority in his own State let alone the Country.

Too much spending is the problem, additional taxes will just give them an excuse to spend more money. Webb supports the VAT. Below is a link to a Senate vote.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=2&vote=00115
This is not a vote on a VAT: it is a sense of the Senate resolution condemning VATs. Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

eye95

imported post

The poster said that Senator Webb supports the VAT. If he votes no on condemning it, that action is providing support for it.

Alexcabbie

imported post

One_Shot wrote:

+1.

Let us not forget that Benedict Arnold had a chest FULL of medals and decorations. Then he tried to sell West Point to the British at the height of the Revolution.

beebobby

imported post

By "closing the loophole" do they mean ending private sales or do they mean that all private sellers have to run a background check on the buyer? This would mean that private individuals would have to have access to the same data base as licensed dealers. I don't think that is going to happen.

eye95

imported post

beebobby wrote:
By "closing the loophole" do they mean ending private sales or do they mean that all private sellers have to run a background check on the buyer? This would mean that private individuals would have to have access to the same data base as licensed dealers. I don't think that is going to happen.
Let me answer your question as clearly as I possibly, using as many words as necessary to provide absolute clarity.

Yes.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Plenty of former military men have turned 180 degrees, going from conservative hawks to liberal doves. Look at our sissified Wesley Clark for example, lots of big talk AFTER he retired but not while he was in even though he clearly disagreed with White House 'sandbox' policy. A REAL general (and man) would have retired in protest, and made it public why (one general did...good for him). Liberal Clark is a disgrace, as are other "generals" like him...but frankly, I can't think of even ONE general worth a crap nowadays -- did ancient Rome have this problem? ;-)

Even Israel -- which is and has been (since 1948) facing enemies all around and is regularlyin combat with them -- has seen that turn-around in THEIR military men, such as Menachem Beginand Yitzhak Rabin...both former 'war heros'who ended up selling out their own country by giving in to radical Islam's demands re: the "Land for Peace" process (that BS would never work anyway). Even Ariel Sharon, another 'war hero,' seemed to tone it down in his later years. And presently, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (another former military man, as most men are in Israel by law!) seems he's trying to walk a tightrope instead of acting decisively with Israel's enemies (while continuously seeking 'permission' from America). I get the sense he is for harsher dealings with radical Islam but instead he acceptswearing an American-made leash even though it's a long one: All the way from the White House, even during Bush's tenure there -- and earlier.

So being former military should be considered to mean NOTHING as it could go either way, for or against conservative values and/or the RKBA issue. IMO, that would bethe safer way to view it: Discount it entirely.

-- John D.