Thread: Westland PD... 'A' for effort?

Post imported post

Westland PD sent out a message today regarding the OC meetups this weekend, and it was...meh.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/1907105/

More via Detroit Gun Rights Examiner:

http://www.examiner.com/x-30265-Detr...examiner-email

Post imported post

Of course, there are limits. First, a person may not carry a pistol into any of the places listed in MCL 750.234d. They are:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act.

Seems that they did not bother to list if you had a CPL where and where you could not OC.

Post imported post

"Finally, a pistol can’t be carried in public where it violates local ordinance."

Kind of messed this one up as well
    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Post imported post

I like the part where the Chief won't admit they left out some very important parts of the law concerning OC with CPL. Based on my experieces with certain levels of law enforcement, I'd bet he didn't know you can OC in PFZ's with a CPL. Oops.

Post imported post

"Finally, a pistol can’t be carried in public where it violates local ordinance."

This is the only part in the Chief's message that is incorrect, unfortunately. His message is about OC not CC so that's why he didn't mention exemptions with a CPL.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

This is the only part in the Chief's message that is incorrect, unfortunately. His message is about OC not CC so that's why he didn't mention exemptions with a CPL.
    I concur, he was only addressing OC.

That little tidbit about local ordinances is disheartening.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

To report suspicious activity or for answers to any questions regarding open carry, contact the Westland Police at 734.722.9600
    I guess I'll have to give them a call in the morning...:P

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

I guess in a way he was correct!!!!! Just recently, Westland corrected all of their illegal ordinances regarding carrying a pistolbasedon the 1990 preemption info we sent them. so technically Westland doesn't have any local ordinances to violate
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Post imported post

I think that little tidbit comes directly from the msp legal update from april 2007. I can't seem to find that particular update, but here is a paragraph from may 2007

Second, in the April edition we noted that a pistol cannot be carried in public where it violates local ordinance. This is true, but only where the ordinance is specifically authorized by state law.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

The article states something going on on Saturday at the Library Pavilion?

Is this incorrect info?

Post imported post

This is completely incorrect. Any local ordinance that regulates possession of firearms is illega due to State preemption law. Even if ordinance is currently in the books. Harassment and unlawful arrest is more likely, of course, if such ordinance is in the books

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    The article states something going on on Saturday at the Library Pavilion?

Is this incorrect info?
    Any luck on the phone call?

Post imported post

I don't know... but... here is a different perspective ...

Although the Westland PD's message about open carrying wasn't as clear and concise as we would prefer it to be.....

It never would have happened at all 2 years ago.

Carry on!
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:

Although the Westland PD's message about open carrying wasn't as clear and concise as we would prefer it to be.....

Carry on!
    And that's exactly why I said it was 'meh', instead of lambasting WPD for getting some points of law wrong.

Overall, I get the message that WPD is telling the sheep, "Knock it off, quit bugging us about it. It's legal for chrissakes".

That's certainly a hop in the right direction, as compared to a scant couple years ago.

Post imported post

Tao wrote:
    Bikenut wrote:

Carry on!
    And that's exactly why I said it was 'meh', instead of lambasting WPD for getting some points of law wrong.

Overall, I get the message that WPD is telling the sheep, "Knock it off, quit bugging us about it. It's legal for chrissakes".

That's certainly a hop in the right direction, as compared to a scant couple years ago.
    Frankly I personally view it as a leap in the right direction since it basically put a stamp of official police approval upon open carry right out there to the public. And that had to be a difficult thing for the PD to do.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

$20 says that there will still be a couple drive bys from the fuzz. I realize that the PD building is adjacent to the park, but I bet they will we driving by more than usual.

Nothing against them......but I'm sure there will be a few BAAAA's from the local herd.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Post imported post

I know of one Westland PD LT. that plans on visiting. I told him stop on by and bring some friends the very least he'd probably get a coke. The Lt. also meantioned the library which I told him I knew nothing about and apparently nobody else on here does either.

Post imported post

What about the library?
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Nobody seems to know anything aboutthe Librarybut the WPD. Or are you asking if I'm in it now because I am.

Post imported post

the500kid wrote:
    Nobody seems to know anything aboutthe Librarybut the WPD. Or are you asking if I'm in it now because I am.
    lol

Post imported post

the500kid wrote:
    the500kid....... in the library.... with a book...

Post imported post

hhahah ok I see.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I was gunna say "with a candlestick"

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

The most encouraging part is at the end, the gave the

www.michiganopencarry.org address as an authority for more information! That is a pretty big deal to me!
    United we STAND!