• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westland PD... 'A' for effort?

insignia240

imported post

Of course, there are limits. First, a person may not carry a pistol into any of the places listed in MCL 750.234d. They are:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act.

Seems that they did not bother to list if you had a CPL where and where you could not OC.

scot623

imported post

I like the part where the Chief won't admit they left out some very important parts of the law concerning OC with CPL. Based on my experieces with certain levels of law enforcement, I'd bet he didn't know you can OC in PFZ's with a CPL. Oops.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

"Finally, a pistol can’t be carried in public where it violates local ordinance."

This is the only part in the Chief's message that is incorrect, unfortunately. His message is about OC not CC so that's why he didn't mention exemptions with a CPL.

insignia240

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
"Finally, a pistol can’t be carried in public where it violates local ordinance."

This is the only part in the Chief's message that is incorrect, unfortunately. His message is about OC not CC so that's why he didn't mention exemptions with a CPL.

I concur, he was only addressing OC.

That little tidbit about local ordinances is disheartening.

Jblack44

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

I guess in a way he was correct!!!!! Just recently, Westland corrected all of their illegal ordinances regarding carrying a pistolbasedon the 1990 preemption info we sent them. so technically Westland doesn't have any local ordinances to violate

lapeer20m

imported post

I think that little tidbit comes directly from the msp legal update from april 2007. I can't seem to find that particular update, but here is a paragraph from may 2007

Second, in the April edition we noted that a pistol cannot be carried in public where it violates local ordinance. This is true, but only where the ordinance is specifically authorized by state law.

sasha601

imported post

This is completely incorrect. Any local ordinance that regulates possession of firearms is illega due to State preemption law. Even if ordinance is currently in the books. Harassment and unlawful arrest is more likely, of course, if such ordinance is in the books

B

Bikenut

imported post

I don't know... but... here is a different perspective ...

Although the Westland PD's message about open carrying wasn't as clear and concise as we would prefer it to be.....

It never would have happened at all 2 years ago.

Carry on!:D

Tao

imported post

Bikenut wrote:

Although the Westland PD's message about open carrying wasn't as clear and concise as we would prefer it to be.....

And that's exactly why I said it was 'meh', instead of lambasting WPD for getting some points of law wrong.

Overall, I get the message that WPD is telling the sheep, "Knock it off, quit bugging us about it. It's legal for chrissakes".

That's certainly a hop in the right direction, as compared to a scant couple years ago.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Tao wrote:
Bikenut wrote:

And that's exactly why I said it was 'meh', instead of lambasting WPD for getting some points of law wrong.

Overall, I get the message that WPD is telling the sheep, "Knock it off, quit bugging us about it. It's legal for chrissakes".

That's certainly a hop in the right direction, as compared to a scant couple years ago.
Frankly I personally view it as a leap :) in the right direction since it basically put a stamp of official police approval upon open carry right out there to the public. And that had to be a difficult thing for the PD to do.

Jblack44

imported post

$20 says that there will still be a couple drive bys from the fuzz. I realize that the PD building is adjacent to the park, but I bet they will we driving by more than usual.

Nothing against them......but I'm sure there will be a few BAAAA's from the local herd.

the500kid

imported post

I know of one Westland PD LT. that plans on visiting. I told him stop on by and bring some friends the very least he'd probably get a coke. The Lt. also meantioned the library which I told him I knew nothing about and apparently nobody else on here does either.