• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry with a not so perfect record.

hellstorm702

imported post

I haven't been arrested since I was a teen until a year and a half ago when I had a club type weapon that I used to keep in my car, long story short I had a parking violation posted on my car window for parking in front of a Mcdonalds when there was no sign stating so. A couple mall security gaurds were cussing and yelling at me for doing so, I drove off and told them to screw themselves because there was no sign.

I drove behind the complex where there was a parking lot so I could eat my food when 3 guys raced towards me saying "we're going to f*ck you up" verbatim, and I saw them wearing plain clothes so I could only guess they were thugs, so I reached into car and grabbed the club, they backed off and said they were security, keep in mind once they identified themselves I told them security doesn't normal say things like that and I never assaulted anyone, but their stories to the police was different saying I took a swing ....yeah right.

Metro was called to the scene I was cuffed and hauled away to jail, they tried slapping 2 felonies and multiple misdemeanors on me in court unless I pleaded guilty and then given a simple amended misdemeanor and 750 dollar fine.

I pleaded guilty because I didn't want to go through months of trial and risk getting those felonies and misdemeanors. So now it bothers the hell out of me that I have this on my record, so my question to you is, if a cop pulls me to the side for open carry and eventually he asks if I have ever been arrested, can the cop confiscate my weapon and or continue to harrass me?

I like to think of myself as still a decent citizen being able to open carry my firearm, and plan to get this stupid misdemeanor removed from my file, talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time, I understand the "do not talk to cops" situation using the 4th and 5th, any suggestions? Thanks

-hellstorm702

eye95

imported post

edited due to my stupidity. I assumed I was replying to another Alabamian.

Pretend that I said nothing.

hellstorm702

imported post

I can see how it may appear that way, but funny thing is 3 months after that incident I bought a pistol and had no problems at all, and it was not a conviction, it was an amenment which is completely different, I went to city hall to ask specifically before I went to purchase a firearm. I looked at the piece of paper I got from city hall, it said on my record CCW: possession of dangerous weapon, nothing that indicates an act of violence at the least, maybe thats why. I am only concerned if I open carry and the cop wants to ask if I have ever been arrested and he chooses to run my background, honestly I don't think it should prohibit me from owning or open carrying a firearm since its not a felony or domestic charge.

PaxMentis

imported post

You might want to ask the question over in the Nevada forum.

I know that in my state it wouldn't have any effect...but I have no idea whether NV has some strange law that makes a "weapon related" misdemeanor a problem.