• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Omar Samaha claims: "Firearms Still Easily Available"

Repeater

imported post

Omar certainly knows by now there is no such thing as a 'Gun Show Loophole' so he will continue to lie unless he is stopped.

His Lies are in RED.

Firearms Still Easily Available

Three years have passed since the massacre at Virginia Tech that took the lives of 32 innocent people, including my sister Reema. I look back over the past 1,097 days since my sister died and wonder how it is still legal for criminals and people with serious mental illness to buy guns without passing a background check.

Reema was killed because of a gap in Virginia's gun background check system that allowed a mentally ill man to buy weapons. Even though a court determined that he was mentally ill and therefore prohibited from purchasing and possessing guns, his record of mental illness was not in the background check system.

Thankfully, following recommendations of the Virginia Tech review panel, action was taken at the state and federal level to help get missing mental health and criminal records into the background check system. The number of mental health records submitted to the federal instant background check system has tripled from 298,571 (as of Dec. 31, 2006) prior to the Virginia Tech massacre to 932,559 (as of March 31, 2010).

Unfortunately, the problem doesn't end there. Criminals, the mentally ill, and even terrorists are still able to purchase firearms from gun shows with no background check whatsoever. Federal law requires every licensed gun dealer to conduct criminal background checks on all purchasers. But dealers without licenses are selling guns at gun shows without these checks.

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), 30 percent of guns in federal illegal trafficking investigations are connected to gun shows. This Gun Show Loophole is exploited by criminals and those who know they cannot pass a background check.

Last May, I went to a gun show in Richmond to see for myself. I bought 10 guns in less than one hour. No background check. No identification. No questions asked. It was as easy as buying a bag of chips at a grocery store; simple cash and carry. Luckily, I'm not a criminal.

What's clear is that anyone, even criminals, can go to any gun show and buy an unlimited number of guns, without undergoing a background check. It's hard to believe, but it's true. And there's nothing to stop them from doing it over and over again.

Three years have passed and the Gun Show Loophole still remains intact. The solution is simple: Congress should pass legislation to require background checks for all sales at gun shows. Sen. Jim Webb and Sen. Mark Warner, the families of the Virginia Tech victims and survivors are counting on your leadership. Closing the loophole will not affect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners. But it will help ensure that guns do not end up in the hands of people who, because they are a danger to society, have lost the right to own them.

In May 2009 my father and I, and several other Virginia Tech family members, met with Sen. Webb to ask for his support for legislation to close the Gun Show Loophole. What impressed us was how seriously he took the issue and his promise to work in Congress to fix this problem.

It has been almost 11 months since that meeting, three years since the tragedy at Virginia Tech, and no action has been taken to move this lifesaving legislation forward. I hope that all Virginians will stand with the families of the Virginia Tech victims and survivors in calling on Sens. Webb and Warner to get behind this effort.

Closing the Gun Show Loophole won't bring my sister Reema back, or any of the other victims of the mass shooting at Virginia Tech. But it would save an untold number of innocent lives. It's been three years. The time to act is now. Sen. Webb and Sen. Warner, what are you waiting for?

nova

imported post

But it will help ensure that guns do not end up in the hands of people who, because they are a danger to society, have lost the right to own them.

If they are a danger to society, they should be removed from society.

power_shack

imported post

Repeater wrote:
But it would save an untold number of innocent lives.
The untold number of lives it would save is ZERO.

If we had background checks on private sellers at gun shows, the criminal or mentally ill person would still get a gun in one of the many ways that most prohibited persons get their guns:

1. Steal one
2. Black Market
3. Family
4. Friend
5. Straw Purchase
6. Private sale outside of a gun show

Dreamer

imported post

Mr. Samaha says he purchase 10 firearms at a gun show. I wonder where he got the money for those purchases? Was it his own money, or was this little experiment funded by an outside source lice VPC or BCPHV, or ABC News?

Because if he used someone else's money, under their instruction, and had no intention of actually keeping the firearms himself, then he is guilty of making "straw purchases", which is a felony, and a federal offense...

Also, VA has a "One handgun a month" law, so he committed another crime, a Class I Misdemeanor to be exact...
Code of Virginia 18.2-308.2:2

P. Except as provided in subdivisions 1, 2, and 3 of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not a licensed firearms dealer to purchase more than one handgun within any 30-day period. A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

mpg9999

imported post

Repeater wrote:
I look back over the past 1,097 days since my sister died and wonder how it is still legal for criminals and people with serious mental illness to buy guns without passing a background check.
It's not.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ABC had this on the other night as an "update", to the effect that nothing had changed. They replayed the original video of Samaha buying guns. The statement was made that ABC handed over $5k to Samaha topurchase the guns atgun shows. I thought the same thing about the straw purchase (maybe) and the one handgun a month, too. It's a shame that these people, including the ones from NY, have done this and gotten away with breaking the law.

2a4all

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Mr. Samaha says he purchase 10 firearms at a gun show. I wonder where he got the money for those purchases? Was it his own money, or was this little experiment funded by an outside source lice VPC or BCPHV, or ABC News?

Because if he used someone else's money, under their instruction, and had no intention of actually keeping the firearms himself, then he is guilty of making "straw purchases", which is a felony, and a federal offense...

Also, VA has a "One handgun a month" law, so he committed another crime, a Class I Misdemeanor to be exact...
Code of Virginia 18.2-308.2:2

P. Except as provided in subdivisions 1, 2, and 3 of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not a licensed firearms dealer to purchase more than one handgun within any 30-day period. A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

ABC News revisited this issue last Sunday(?) and reported that they gave Samaha $5,000 to shop at the gun show. He did buy 10 guns, but only 1 was a handgun. The operation was critiqued by a former BATFE agent, who reported that there was nothing illegal about any of these transactions.

Although (perhaps) not legal for (some) criminals and mentally ill persons to purchase guns, it is apparentlyfrequently and easilydone. But then, if criminals obeyed laws, ....

buster81

imported post

Dreamer wrote:

Wouldn't he only be guilty of a straw purchase if he actually purchased them through a dealer and filled out the forms etc.?

I would guess thathe made his private purchases as a resident of VA. Legal so far. Now did he keep them (doubtful) or did he give them to someone else (either the ABC guy, or the ex-ATF agent) and where did that someone else live?