• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Masculinity through the barrel of a gun

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

According to my Sociology instructor there is no difference between a man exercising his right to carry and self-defense and a thug on the street who carries for street credit.

I am no man but found this subject struck a nerve with me. Most firearm owning men that I have met are very respectful and down to earth.

Of course I threw my hand into the air, declared that I am pro-2nd Amendment and pro-self-defense. I also declared to all of the class that I believe every man and woman should be armed because an armed society is a polite society.

I suppose the intent of this post is to ask you guys (who make up most of this chat) how it feels to have your exercising your right to carry and self-defense equated with being nothing more than an expression of machoness? While us women are not subject to that accusation or critique. That is not to say women aren't critiqued, just in a different way.

Iwill see how my open declaration regardingthe 2nd Amendmment and my stance plays out in my grades :banghead:I need to keep my mouth shut sometimes.

sirpuma

imported post

I personally don't care one bit what the lefties think. They can think all they want about me. As far as I'm concerned they can think I'm a terrorist. But the second they try and DO something, there's going to be trouble.

I have never cared what people have thought or said about me, that's their business. If they decide to shove it in my face, they may just get shoved back.

Jayd1981

imported post

I carry a gun for the same reason I have a spare tire in my car or insurance for that matter. So does that mean everyone who has insurance is compensating?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Well your Sociology Instructor is a short sighted fool and has some truth to the statement as well.

Let me explain there are a few idiots out there who do carry for that very purpose. Although I feel the vast majority carry accept our limits to some degree and when our awareness, words, physical abilities are not enough in that fraction of time to be able to stop the threat.

It not only takes Strength, Character it takes Resolve to Face a Threat Head On, Take Appropriate Action and Be Accountable for Our Actions.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
I carry a gun for the same reason I have a spare tire in my car or insurance for that matter. So does that mean everyone who has insurance is compensating?

LOL that made me laugh. I will ask my instructor the next time I see her.

The positive was that after I raised my hand and said what I had to say there were a few very liberal people in the class that I know well who stated that they agree with me. Apparently my discussions about the 2nd Amendment with some of my friends has been productive.

I have noticed with a number of my liberal friends who are unfamiliar with firearms is that most of them are ignorant about the 2nd Amendment and firearms, not against them. I think that cultivating informed positive firearm and 2nd Amendment stances is best when these young adults are young adults. When they get older they will become hardened to the misinformation out there in our society.

Norman

imported post

I feel that I become far less "macho" while carrying. %90 of the time nobody even knows that I am carrying. When I am carrying I tend to be a little quieter, more observant, and far more cautious. There goes my street cred eh?

I also carry my wallet, and a pocket knife. I carry them both for their useful nature, and try to use both responsibly ;)

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Norman wrote:
When I am carrying I tend to be a little quieter, more observant, and far more cautious. There goes my street cred eh?

Jeez, being quieter, more observant and cautious :what:What about your street cred!

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

My instructor played audio from NPR where a man was comparing the two--then tried to capitalize on it. They know I am pro 2nd Amendment and that I carry. Before they called on me they pointed out that I was not going to agree. Apparently I am more vocal than I even think I am:celebrate

deanf

imported post

I also declared to all of the class that I believe every man and woman should be armed because an armed society is a polite society.

While a very cute and trite retort, it really does nothing to advance our cause.

I'm not aware of any evidence that a polite society follows widespread gun possession. It's just a marketing term made up long ago that I wish we would stop using.

Suppose an armed society made for an impolite society. Would we "turn them all in"? Of course not.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

deanf wrote:
I also declared to all of the class that I believe every man and woman should be armed because an armed society is a polite society.

While a very cute and trite retort, it really does nothing to advance our cause.

I'm not aware of any evidence that a polite society follows widespread gun possession. It's just a marketing term made up long ago that I wish we would stop using.

Suppose an armed society made for an impolite society. Would we "turn them all in"? Of course not.
Neither one of us can prove that an armed society is either a polite or impolite society. It must be the optimust in me. Society would be a more polite society for reasonable people; but then again "reasonable" is subjective.

MrGray

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
According to my Sociology instructor there is no difference between a man exercising his right to carry and self-defense and a thug on the street who carries for street credit.

Ask you sociology 'instructor' how this applies to my wife and daughter, both of whom are licensed to carry concealed, both of whom are trained to use firearms, and both of whom refuse to be passive victims.

Are they, too, compensating? Or is your 'instructor' compensating for being insecure, inadequate, and incompetent by running down people who take responsibility for their own safety?

amzbrady

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:

I am no man but found this subject struck a nerve with me. Most firearm owning men that I have met are very respectful and down to earth.

Of course I threw my hand into the air, declared that I am pro-2nd Amendment and pro-self-defense. I also declared to all of the class that I believe every man and woman should be armed because an armed society is a polite society.

I suppose the intent of this post is to ask you guys (who make up most of this chat) how it feels to have your exercising your right to carry and self-defense equated with being nothing more than an expression of machoness? While us women are not subject to that accusation or critique. That is not to say women aren't critiqued, just in a different way.

Iwill see how my open declaration regardingthe 2nd Amendmment and my stance plays out in my grades :banghead:I need to keep my mouth shut sometimes.
Hmmm, they say it is compensating for something also. Are you compensating? :p

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

deanf wrote:

I agree. Its use is kind of lame.

The quote comes from a 1942 science fiction novel "BeyondThis Horizon" by Robert A.Heinlein. Part of the story includes a world where dueling (using guns) is common, expected, and provides social status.

Anyways, here's an explanation of the politeness/gun thing from Wiki:

A sub-theme of the book is the carrying and use of firearms. In the novel being armed is part of being a man; otherwise he wears a brassard and is considered weak and inferior. Women are allowed but not expected to be armed. Duels, either deadly or survivable, may easily occur when someone feels that they have been wronged or insulted, a custom that keeps order and politeness. A defining quote from the book which is repeated throughout Heinlein's work is, "An armed society is a polite society", is very popular with those who support the personal right to keep and bear arms.

I've been meaning to read this book but just can't find the time. But, even without actually reading the book, it seems like some pro-gunners (actually many) just lifted a hook line from the book and it really doesn't make too much sense to use "An armed society is a polite society." today with reference to guns or gun rightsin America in the year 2010.

To use the line to build somekind of pro-gun principle or constructwithout any of the context of the story in the novel is, uh, .... really weird. Simplistic. Naive.

Therefore, I agree with DF when he opines that the hook line doesn't advance the cause. Better to use more rational utterances to promote and support guns and gun rights...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_This_Horizon

cynicist

imported post

I would say you teacher lives somewhere that there are no thugs on the street looking for cred, so s/he can't make a practical comparison.
Or perhaps that's why your teacher is a sociologist, not a psychologist, and therefore can't accurately determine why we do what we do (not like actual psychologists can either) but instead just made it up.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Hmmm, they say it is compensating for something also. Are you compensating? :p
LOL, they must be saying that women who carry have P*n#s envy. I admitt to having gun envy when I see someone with a really nice handgun.;)

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

cynicist wrote:
I would say you teacher lives somewhere that there are no thugs on the street looking for cred, so s/he can't make a practical comparison.
Or perhaps that's why your teacher is a sociologist, not a psychologist, and therefore can't accurately determine why we do what we do (not like actual psychologists can either) but instead just made it up.
Actually they just moved to Centeral District...I said I lived there before and thought the area was a bit shadey. She accused me of being racist.

amzbrady

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
cynicist wrote:
Actually they just moved to Centeral District...I said I lived there before and thought the area was a bit shadey. She accused me of being racist.
Teachers, blah

amzbrady

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
I personally don't care one bit what the lefties think. They can think all they want about me. As far as I'm concerned they can think I'm a terrorist. But the second they try and DO something, there's going to be trouble.

I have never cared what people have thought or said about me, that's their business. If they decide to shove it in my face, they may just get shoved back.