Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Guns

Post imported post

So open carry w/o a license, CC and all, what about long guns in the pick up like in the old days?

Can you carry, say a lever action 30-30 and some ammo and be legal?

Post imported post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here..

As long as it's under 30" and longer than 26" and registered as a pistol, you can carry it loaded in your car as you wish.

If it's over 30", it cannot be loaded and in your car, no matter what. Whether the long gun has to be in a case or not and out of reach, I have no idea.

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Hum.. any 26" rifles out there...

Post imported post

22-250 wrote:
    So open carry w/o a license, CC and all, what about long guns in the pick up like in the old days?

Can you carry, say a lever action 30-30 and some ammo and be legal?
    How long before you delete this post?

Post imported post

There's plenty of 26" rifles out there. AR15's with folding stocks, pistol grip shotguns, etc.

Just keep an eye out.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Why is that a stupid question? Fifty hands guns ok, one 22lr rifle not.. stupid laws, stupid questions.

Post imported post

So you can register a gun with a barrel longer than 26" but shorter that 30" as a pistol?

Post imported post

Over all length, not barrel length is the guide in Michigan. If over all length is less than 30", the rifle has to be registered as a handgun.

Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

Ok , so it has to be registered as a handgun no matter what if under 30"?

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    There's plenty of 26" rifles out there. AR15's with folding stocks, pistol grip shotguns, etc.

Just keep an eye out.
    I'm interested in an AR with a folding stock. Where are they available from? I would like to register one of them as a pistol for concealed carry.

Post imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
    Over all length, not barrel length is the guide in Michigan. If over all length is less than 30", the rifle has to be registered as a handgun.

Do you happen to have a cite with the details of this available?

Can the barrel be 14" long and the rifle's overall length be 27" long?

Is it measured with the stock extended?

Does it even need to have a stock? Like one of those AK rifles with a 16.5" barrel and just a pistol grip?

Post imported post

To bad you can't register it if its longer.. dumb but I would like a 30-30 handy,,lol sometimes those critters are out just when I'm pulling in the driveway..

Banned

Post imported post

I thought we werent allowed to talk long guns here, even though some long guns are pistols, and the discussions are intended to keep the members out of jail?

Post imported post

Oh , well I did not know that.. My bad, ban me and make me go home....lol

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    I thought we werent allowed to talk long guns here, even though some long guns are pistols, and the discussions are intended to keep the members out of jail?
    We are not allowed to discuss long gun OC... this is about transport in a vehicle.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I take back everything I said ...:P

Banned

Post imported post

I doubt they are going to ban you for it. Considering it applies to the attempt to legaly define what a handgun is or isnt as opposed to long guns and michigan pistols, and how it pertains to transport in relation to the CPL infringements, then the thread falls under OCDO rules restricting the discussions to handguns.

Post imported post

No ofcorse not, I'm Innocent..

Post imported post

Seriously It was just a thought.. I would like to keep a rifle in the truck but know I can't, but thought i would ask for the hell of it.. I don't understand the thinking in the law.

50 handguns on me is Ok but a 22 Henry in my truck is illegal.. go figure,, stupid..

Post imported post

22-250 wrote:
    Seriously It was just a thought.. I would like to keep a rifle in the truck but know I can't, but thought i would ask for the hell of it.. I don't understand the thinking in the law.

50 handguns on me is Ok but a 22 Henry in my truck is illegal.. go figure,, stupid..
    Send Big Gay Al a PM. He won't answer my questions requesting clarification of his post.

If you get an answer let us know.

Post imported post

Can ya register this as a handgun? lol

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

Post imported post

nope.too long when its assembled.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

22-250 wrote:
    Can ya register this as a handgun? lol

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm
    dont waste your time with that piece of shlt

just get a door hinge and screw it to the side of the butt stock of a good old 30-30,,
    then saw thru so you can fold it over at 29 inches long!!!!

presto!!!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
    Big Gay Al wrote:

Do you happen to have a cite with the details of this available?

See cite below, and not within the quotes.

Can the barrel be 14" long and the rifle's overall length be 27" long?

If the barrel is less than 16" in length, then it is a "Short barreled rifle" and subject to NFA rules.

Is it measured with the stock extended?

If the stock is collapsing, then it is measured with the stock with collapsed, IIRC.

Does it even need to have a stock? Like one of those AK rifles with a 16.5" barrel and just a pistol grip?

Strictly speaking, even the pistol grip is a "stock."
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-750-222

750.222 Definitions.

Sec. 222.
    As used in this chapter:
    (a) “Alcoholic liquor” means that term as defined in section 105 of the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1105.
    (b) “Barrel length” means the internal length of a firearm as measured from the face of the closed breech of the firearm when it is unloaded, to the forward face of the end of the barrel.
    (c) “Controlled substance” means a controlled substance or controlled substance analogue as those terms are defined in section 7104 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.7104.
    (d) “Firearm” means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.
    (e) “Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.
    (f) “Purchaser” means a person who receives a pistol from another person by purchase, gift, or loan.
    (g) “Seller” means a person who sells, furnishes, loans, or gives a pistol to another person.
    (h) “Shotgun” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single function of the trigger.
    (i) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
    (j) “Rifle” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
    (k) “Short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having 1 or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Big Gay Al

Post imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
    22-250 wrote:

Send Big Gay Al a PM. He won't answer my questions requesting clarification of his post.

If you get an answer let us know.
    I'm afraid you'll have to pardon me for having a life AWAY from this forum. Sorry I can't be at your beck and call.
    Big Gay Al

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast