• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Guns

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
Over all length, not barrel length is the guide in Michigan. If over all length is less than 30", the rifle has to be registered as a handgun.
Do you happen to have a cite with the details of this available?

See cite below, and not within the quotes.

Can the barrel be 14" long and the rifle's overall length be 27" long?

If the barrel is less than 16" in length, then it is a "Short barreled rifle" and subject to NFA rules.

Is it measured with the stock extended?

If the stock is collapsing, then it is measured with the stock with collapsed, IIRC.

Does it even need to have a stock? Like one of those AK rifles with a 16.5" barrel and just a pistol grip?

Strictly speaking, even the pistol grip is a "stock."
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28nw3qrxabwt1kl0552q2styv4%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-222

750.222 Definitions.

Sec. 222.
As used in this chapter:
(a) “Alcoholic liquor” means that term as defined in section 105 of the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1105.
(b) “Barrel length” means the internal length of a firearm as measured from the face of the closed breech of the firearm when it is unloaded, to the forward face of the end of the barrel.
(c) “Controlled substance” means a controlled substance or controlled substance analogue as those terms are defined in section 7104 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.7104.
(d) “Firearm” means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.
(e) “Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.
(f) “Purchaser” means a person who receives a pistol from another person by purchase, gift, or loan.
(g) “Seller” means a person who sells, furnishes, loans, or gives a pistol to another person.
(h) “Shotgun” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single function of the trigger.
(i) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(j) “Rifle” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
(k) “Short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having 1 or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
22-250 wrote:
Seriously It was just a thought.. I would like to keep a rifle in the truck but know I can't, but thought i would ask for the hell of it.. I don't understand the thinking in the law.

50 handguns on me is Ok but a 22 Henry in my truck is illegal.. go figure,, stupid..
Send Big Gay Al a PM. He won't answer my questions requesting clarification of his post.

If you get an answer let us know.
I'm afraid you'll have to pardon me for having a life AWAY from this forum. Sorry I can't be at your beck and call. :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
22-250 wrote:
dont waste your time with that piece of shlt

just get a door hinge and screw it to the side of the butt stock of a good old 30-30,,
then saw thru so you can fold it over at 29 inches long!!!!

presto!!!!!
POS? The few I've seen, seem to be well made, and work well. Frankly, I wouldn't mind getting one for plinking. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
waste your money!! cast zinc, stamped steel and plastic... not a real gun.
for the money they are junk,, that shoots 22lr... big deal!
I've heard the same things said about Hi-Points, but I've seen Hi-Points perform on the same range I've seen Springfield XDs and Glocks fail. To each his, or her own, I guess. ;)

G

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
22-250 wrote:
Seriously It was just a thought.. I would like to keep a rifle in the truck but know I can't, but thought i would ask for the hell of it.. I don't understand the thinking in the law.

50 handguns on me is Ok but a 22 Henry in my truck is illegal.. go figure,, stupid..
Send Big Gay Al a PM. He won't answer my questions requesting clarification of his post.

I'm afraid you'll have to pardon me for having a life AWAY from this forum. Sorry I can't be at your beck and call. :)
It would have been appropriate to include the cite with your original post, instead of doing a hit and run.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
22-250 wrote:

It would have been appropriate to include the cite with your original post, instead of doing a hit and run.
Really? I thought for sure, you'd know about 750.222. :D

Yooper

imported post

Somebody above hit on it. The length of the rifle with a folding/collapsing stock must be between 26 and 30" WITH the stock either folded or collapsed to be able to register it as a pistol.

For example, if you had an AK with an underfolding stock, that measured 28" WITH the stock in the folded position, it would have to be registered as a pistol, no matter what the length is with the stock extended. If you had a AK with a folding stock that measured 30.1" with the stock folded, then it is NOT a pistol according to Michigan law.

The closest I've been to longun car carry was when I lived in Colorado. Rifles/Shotguns could be carried uncased, anywhere in the car, as long as there wasn't a round IN the chamber. The tube/clip/magazine could be loaded and (if applicable) in the firearm, just as long as there wasn't a round in the chamber. Also, handguns could be carried anywhere in the car loaded, without any kind of permit, and no permit was required to conceal while hunting.

warrior1978

imported post

Two laws deal with the transport of long guns:

324.40111 Taking animal from in or upon vehicle; transporting or possessing firearm in or upon vehicle; transporting bow in or upon vehicle; written permission to hunt or discharge firearm.

Sec. 40111.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not take an animal from in or upon a vehicle.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not transport or have in possession a firearm in or upon a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case, carried in the trunk of a vehicle, or unloaded in a motorized boat.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in this part, a person shall not transport or have in possession a bow in or upon a vehicle, unless the bow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

(4) A person shall not hunt or discharge a firearm within 150 yards of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence, or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation, without obtaining the written permission of the owner, renter, or occupant of the property.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

G

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
22-250 wrote:

Really? I thought for sure, you'd know about 750.222. :D
I do. But you're the one that spouts off the unfounded half truths that confuse people.

Just cite the laws, as the forum rules require, and help instead of confusing.

By the way, how is a pistol stock defined?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
I do. But you're the one that spouts off the unfounded half truths that confuse people.

Bull crap

Ditto

By law, or in general?
My responses in red.

G

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

Bull crap

Ditto

By law, or in general?
My responses in red.
Blah

Blah

Blah

G

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Pat, you are going to be back to normal in no time;).springerdave.
I know. Look what I have to deal with.

I'm keeping it civil though. Aren't I?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Question, *raises hand* can the owner of a rifle do the modifications him/.herself, and then register the weapon as a pistol, or does it have to be done by a gunsmith, or does it have to be purchased that way?

Also, are we allowed to shorten the barrels, or would one of the above considerations have to be met?