• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Guns

22-250

imported post

So open carry w/o a license, CC and all, what about long guns in the pick up like in the old days?

Can you carry, say a lever action 30-30 and some ammo and be legal?

malignity

imported post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here..

As long as it's under 30" and longer than 26" and registered as a pistol, you can carry it loaded in your car as you wish.

If it's over 30", it cannot be loaded and in your car, no matter what. Whether the long gun has to be in a case or not and out of reach, I have no idea.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Over all length, not barrel length is the guide in Michigan. If over all length is less than 30", the rifle has to be registered as a handgun.

G

imported post

malignity wrote:
There's plenty of 26" rifles out there. AR15's with folding stocks, pistol grip shotguns, etc. :)

Just keep an eye out.
I'm interested in an AR with a folding stock. Where are they available from? I would like to register one of them as a pistol for concealed carry.

G

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Over all length, not barrel length is the guide in Michigan. If over all length is less than 30", the rifle has to be registered as a handgun.
Do you happen to have a cite with the details of this available?

Can the barrel be 14" long and the rifle's overall length be 27" long?

Is it measured with the stock extended?

Does it even need to have a stock? Like one of those AK rifles with a 16.5" barrel and just a pistol grip?

22-250

imported post

To bad you can't register it if its longer.. dumb but I would like a 30-30 handy,,lol sometimes those critters are out just when I'm pulling in the driveway..

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I doubt they are going to ban you for it. Considering it applies to the attempt to legaly define what a handgun is or isnt as opposed to long guns and michigan pistols, and how it pertains to transport in relation to the CPL infringements, then the thread falls under OCDO rules restricting the discussions to handguns.

:banghead:

22-250

imported post

Seriously It was just a thought.. I would like to keep a rifle in the truck but know I can't, but thought i would ask for the hell of it.. I don't understand the thinking in the law.

50 handguns on me is Ok but a 22 Henry in my truck is illegal.. go figure,, stupid..

G

imported post

22-250 wrote:
Seriously It was just a thought.. I would like to keep a rifle in the truck but know I can't, but thought i would ask for the hell of it.. I don't understand the thinking in the law.

50 handguns on me is Ok but a 22 Henry in my truck is illegal.. go figure,, stupid..
Send Big Gay Al a PM. He won't answer my questions requesting clarification of his post.

If you get an answer let us know.