• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing at a cookout or picnic where some people are consuming alcohol

LOERetired

imported post

This last weekend I was OCing in Madison on the lakes at placewhere boaters and people get together and hang ou, called Gilligan’s island, and as I was walking on the island, when a guy asked me if that was a flare gun I was carrying, and I said no its a 45 handgun. To make a long story short, after explaining to him about open carry, and that it is legal, giving him an application, and telling him that he could visit Wisconsincarry.org for more information, he stated that he has a hand gun and if he had known it was legal, he would be carrying also. So, another person educated on their 2nd amendment rights.

Also, so there is no misunderstanding, I traveled to the island in a boat and while in the boat the hand gun was in a case as required by law. When I reached the island in the boat, as we practice with being in a car, I took the handgun out of the boat while on land and holstered.

Here is a question though, it’s early in the year and there are not a lot of people visiting Gilligan’s island, but, in the summer the island is full of boats and people walking around. Most of the people are on the island to party and drinking, and I question when it gets busy, on whether I should carry during that time with so much alcohol being consumed. There is no bar on the island, people bring their own alcohol and the island is land locked with water all around it.

So, as with anytime your OCing, I wasn't consuming alcohol while on Gilligan’s island last weekend and will not be consuming alcohol while OCing at anytime during the summer. Does the statute cover this issue, being around others who are consuming alcohol asthe statutestates your prohibited where alcohol is being "served or consumed", or is the statute more for keeping OCers out of establishments serving alcohol.

Should I avoid this situation, and enjoy the summer on Gilligan’s island without OCing? It would be like being at a cook out or picnic OCing where some people are drinking and some are not, with OCers among those who are not. Does this create a dangerous situation that’s best to be avoided?

Don

Jason in WI

imported post

Since you seem to be asking opinions and not strictly law, my only concern would be how mellow the people are, if it's a young collage crowd I would be a bit concerned someone would think it is funny to mess with the guy with the sidearm causing a bad situation. If it's a cool laid back crowd I would open carry with no hesitation. I've already carried at parties with large amounts of booze flowing and it didn't concern me one bit.

Personally if I'm going to a place called Gilligan’s island (never been), I'm guessing I'm going there to get funked up and I would will leave the sidearm home. I do my boating on the big pond, and I'm scared of water so when I'm playing captain I don't drink anything.

I was just thinking today if I get my boat into the water this year if I would bring my sidearm. Pirates, you never know :lol:. Would make a safety inspection fun but I've never been stopped at anchor....

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Sounds like a place I'll have to take my boat this summer. Where exactly is it? From a google search it sounds like its just south of the beltline, but I looked on aerial maps and don't see an island. (just a sliver of land, is that it?)

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
Sounds like a place I'll have to take my boat this summer. Where exactly is it? From a google search it sounds like its just south of the beltline, but I looked on aerial maps and don't see an island. (just a sliver of land, is that it?)
Yup, that's it!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You all tell me what day you are going to be there. If I don't have to work, I'll backup the big OLD pontoon and head that direction myself.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

ok, this is probably the mother of all thread-hijacks, but there is a really nice bay on Mendota near Governor's island that I usually drop anchor and hang out in for a good part of the afternoon.

Nice sandy bottom. I like to drop at Jackson Park, take the locks to Monona, tool around for a bit, head back up the river and spend the rest of the afternoon anchor down/drives up in that bay and then quick-over to Jackson Park to pull out.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No, that's not what he said. He was giving directions to places that I have no idea where they are being that I am from the WEST coast of WI, but anyway now I digress.

If you guys want to organize and OC picnic on an island, I can carry 15 people total per trip and will ferry people to the island. Just pick a date far enough in advance and make it happen.

LOERetired

imported post

If you are driving on 12/18 heading to 90/94 and cross the yahara river, look right and you will see the river turn left. Just after you turn left, on the left is the island. Right now there is a US flag posted on the island that you can see from 12/18, we put it there, and last weekend took pics of us standing next to it OCing.

Don

LOERetired

imported post

ok, this is probably the mother of all thread-hijacks, but there is a really nice bay on Mendota near Governor's island that I usually drop anchor and hang out in for a good part of the afternoon.

Nice sandy bottom. I like to drop at Jackson Park, take the locks to Monona, tool around for a bit, head back up the river and spend the rest of the afternoon anchor down/drives up in that bay and then quick-over to Jackson Park to pull out.

I'm there just about every weekend, I'll be there this Saturday afternoon so, stop on out

Don

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

If the weather cooperates I'm going to be on Lake Michigan this weekend. When its too cold to be in the water I tend to stick to the big lake, harbor, and river/channels. More to see/do than an inland lake where I'd just anchor.

Of course the Yahara Waterway provides plenty of geography to keep busy all day.

I've boated the Madison lakes once a year for the past 3, so I'll make it there for sure this year at least once. Maybe this year I'll do it a couple times. Perhaps this spring if we get the right day.

LOERetired

imported post

I wonder how the DNR will handle OCing on the island, I'll let you know after this weekend....

Don