• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scott County Sheriff

langzaiguy

imported post

As you all probably know, I've had trouble with Scott County Sheriff Bobby Hammons posting an illegal sign banning weapons from the sheriff's office. I feel as though I have no other choice than to file a complaint with the Attorney General's office. Any other ideas?

Anyway, THE MAIN REASON FOR THE POST:
I just attended the Scott County Republican Primary Debate in which I talked to Carroll Pursel, one of the two candidates for Sheriff. He is absolutely NOT friendly to open carry. He cited all the silly reasons such as alarming the public, crazies with guns, blah blah blah.

He said that there was a fine line between OC and CC and that when a public building advertises "No CC", it pretty much means no carry, period. He also said that he could understand why the Sheriff wanted to ban guns. I told him it didn't matter why he wanted to ban guns, it was simply unconstitutional. He never seemed to grasp or care about the KY Constitution.

There's several other Democrats running against Hammons in the primary, and one other Republican running as well. I have no idea as to how the others perceive OC, but I for one am frustrated with power-hungry sheriffs who don't give a damn about the Constitution. It's a sad world we live in when I fear the tyrannical LEOs & politicians more than I do the criminals.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

A complaint to the atty. general seems like a great idea. You should've aked that guy if he realized that the county sheriffs' or rather all elected officials primary job was to protect the rights of the citizenry. Are there any independent candidates running for office in your county? We as a citizenry desperately need to get away from the left /right paradigm.

langzaiguy

imported post

I definitely agree with moving away from partisan politics! I am unaware of any independents running for this position, unfortunately. Guess I'll start drafting my letter!

langzaiguy

imported post

@Neuro: Don't necessarily discount our whole county. Our Democratic County Judge Executive has easily agreed to take down various signs prohibiting firearms in public parks. I haven't open carried a whole lot in Scott Co, but when I have, I haven't had a single bad experience except with the Sheriff.

DreamReclaimer

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
This is definitely one Kentucky county I have NO INTEREST in ever visiting!!!!!

Oh, I don't know. With a cool head, an unobtrusive film crew and a good lawyer on call, it might be quite profitable to visit this particular county.

It amazes me how otherwise-rational-seeming people lose their minds when you throw firearms into the equation. I know they've HEARD of Dr. John Lott, they may even have READ a page or two of his findings, but they fail the comprehension part of the exam. Oh, and forget the Constitution, that's just for "lookin' all purty on tha wall". :shock:

neuroblades

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
@Neuro: Don't necessarily discount our whole county. Our Democratic County Judge Executive has easily agreed to take down various signs prohibiting firearms in public parks. I haven't open carried a whole lot in Scott Co, but when I have, I haven't had a single bad experience except with the Sheriff.
I guess you're correct. If a number of lawful OC compadres were to happen into town for a bite to eat and a relaxing evening about, that might be rather enjoyable. i just I posted out of haste on this one. *LOL*

neuroblades

imported post

DreamReclaimer wrote:
neuroblades wrote:
This is definitely one Kentucky county I have NO INTEREST in ever visiting!!!!!

Oh, I don't know. With a cool head, an unobtrusive film crew and a good lawyer on call, it might be quite profitable to visit this particular county.

It amazes me how otherwise-rational-seeming people lose their minds when you throw firearms into the equation. I know they've HEARD of Dr. John Lott, they may even have READ a page or two of his findings, but they fail the comprehension part of the exam. Oh, and forget the Constitution, that's just for "lookin' all purty on tha wall". :shock:
I hadn't thought of that angle. *LOL* Couple that idea with the one in my reply above, that could prove quite profittable to people in many different ways. ;)