Thread: Where Was OpenCarry.org?

Post imported post

I just got back home today from the National Second Amendment March in Washington D.C. WHERE WAS OPENCARRY.ORG? It was a historic event and yet OpenCarry.org wasn't there. What happened?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Who said we/they weren't there?

Post imported post

There was no OpenCarry.org table and I didn't see a single OpenCarry.org sign. Just a little surprised.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Who were you expecting to run it? It's a good idea but this isn't the NRA. We don't have staff, or funds, or literature really. OCDO is really a loose confederation of folks, true grass roots and centered around this forum. So keep that idea for next time, I don't think this will be the last event.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Opencarry.org is a website. How can it have a table, or literature?

You see, OCDO is us -- the people who post, converse, meet, debate, argue, etc. here. It isn't a thing.

And had I been able to be at the Mall (still ticked I couldn't, but that's another story) I wouldn't have been advertising any organization. It was a 2nd Amendment rally, not an OCDO, NRA, GOA, VCDL, VSSA, JPFO, or any other organization's rally.

There were several OCDO members there, though, as is evidenced by the postings and the photos.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Banned

Post imported post

The very definition of grassroots.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

John and I have paid our money before to attend Gun Rights Policy Conferences held in open carry states (NC & KY) and held an open carry reception there. We might do so again if held in an open carry state.

Post imported post

propertymanager wrote:
    There was no OpenCarry.org table and I didn't see a single OpenCarry.org sign. Just a little surprised.
    Why didn't YOU do it? You were there. You're obviously an OCDO member...

Just wondering where the "Someone else should do it for me" thing came from.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

propertymanager wrote:
    I just got back home today from the National Second Amendment March in Washington D.C. WHERE WAS OPENCARRY.ORG?
    You were there. You are OCDO.

If you're dissatisfied with your OCDO membership, I'm sure Mike and John will be happy to refund your membership dues.

[/b]

Post imported post

LOL the n00b getting a beatdown in this thread! Go easy on him, guys, he means well, and he figured we must have a visible organized presence with signs and stuff. It'sa common mistake. OCDO is just a website, that's all. There's no formal organization. It's likea bar where people who OC hang out and blab, except we aren't drinking (not all of us, anyway).

:celebrate

Post imported post

Hmmm, maybe my message looked harsh, but when don't they? :-P

I wasn't trying to flog the guy. Just let him know this isn't some faceless monolith organization where you have to get permission from someone "above you," etc...

I'm hoping Mike and John's attitude hasn't gone that far God Complex. While I still disagree strongly with their suggestion that we should all dress up like Detectives when we carry, never carry a rifle, or ever dare try to take a leak... GOA and here are still the only 'organizations' I'll contribute to.

The 'weirdos' who push the limits are the ones who make what is a few steps behind them look normal. OC would never have gotten this far had it not been outlandish and freaky at some point. The suggestion to hold back now is self-defeating.

But yeah... OP, you can wave the flag any time you want. We won't bitch, er, at least I won't. And you can wear high-heels and a tutu while you do it if that's what floats yer boat.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

GeorgiaCarry.org is a grassroots, all volunteer organization too.
    We have booths at every gun show, and at other appropriate places.
    Biggest cost is getting a sign printed and some literature.
    Someone can come up with the cash for that, it's less than a lot of people spend on ammo.

Post imported post

There were many who should have been at the DC march, but weren't.

The bottom line is 2500 or so of us did show.

I am glad that you showed, you can consider yourself a person of action.

Generally what happens with grass roots groups is a few will carry the load for the masses. It would be nice for Open Carry to have been there, but Mike and John can't be everywhere and they are doing a great job as it is.

The leaders of Open Carry can't be expected to do it all, like most of you, they have things like jobs and families.

IMHO, anyone who claims to support the 2nd amendment and who lived within 300 miles of Washington DC should have taken time off and been there.

This was planned out over a year ago, so it isn't like it just happened.

One can hope that next year, we will have a larger audience participation.

Out here in California of all places, the Open carry movement is growing which is why there is a push to enact more Victim Disarmament(VD) laws. With pending court cases, hopefully this will backfire on our legislature.

Nicki

Post imported post

Ah, open carry was at the Washington State 2A rally.... when the 2A people dropped the ball it was the open carry group around W Washington that stepped up to help. Along with David Del Bruno.

Live Free or Die!