• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Permit when OC: Advisable?

Corst01

imported post

Hello all,

I've just recently decided to purchase a handgun to supplement my other SD/HD equipment. While reading the North Carolina forums here on OC.org it seems to me that many folks who OC also have their CC permits.

I know that NC does not require the CC to OC, but from posts I've read it seems that it is indeed advisable. Is this because any LEO encountered will know that you have passed background checks already, thus easing the potential for tension?

All thoughts, comments, and advice are greatly appreciated.

Dreamer

imported post

The main reason I have a NC CHP is for travel. I spend a lot of time driving, and with a CHP, I can keep my firearm in its holster on my hip while driving my vehicle, and still be legal in NC, WV, PA, and VA (and 26 other states!)

If you spend a lot of time in your car, or you travel to neighboring states frequently, I think that having a CHP is a good idea because it makes life a WHOLE lot simpler for people who carry.

I also have a PA LTCF. Although my NC permit is good in PA, I have a PA non-resident permit for those rare instances I may be in Philadelphia. I figure if I'm going to get hassled by an LEO anywhere in PA, it's Philly, so a PA LTCF will put an end to any issues before they happen, and I don't have to attempt to discuss the intricacies of PA/NC reciprocity with an LEO in the street...

I've never been approached by an LEO regarding OC. If I ever am (while on-foot), I don't see how the fact that I have a CHP is even relevent to the encounter, because 1) my guns' not concealed, therefore I have no duty to inform that I have either a permit or a firearm and 2) there is no requirement to be licensed to OC in NC.

If I'm asked for it, my plan is that I will ask if I am being detained, and if I am, I will ask to talk to a supervisor before handing over any ID. NC is NOT a "stop and identify" state, and the ONLY time a CHP-holder must "inform" is when he is carrying concealed. There is NO stipulation in NC Statute for a CHP holder to provide their permit card during OC-related encounters...

But it all depends on the demeanor of the particular LEO. My voluntary level of compliance is generally inversely proportional to their level of respect and politeness shown to me as a Law Abiding Citizen...

chiefjason

imported post

Dreamer is right on the car issue. Also it serves as your purchase permit for handguns, and if you choose to in a given situation you can choose to CC. It's a nice option. My only real dealing with a LEO while OC was prior to getting my CCP and I had no issues with him. It was in response to a minor fender bender.

Others choose never to get one.

nobama

imported post

A CCP also will allow for easier cary during the winter. I cary concealed in winter mostly and OC in summer or both. Its nice to have a CCP.

Corst01

imported post

Thank you for the responses. They are greatly appreciated. :D

All of the points made are good ones and exactly what I was figuring. My plan has always been to pursue my CCW but I needed my pistol in order for me to take my CCW class next month and I might want to OC in the interim once I get some real familiarity with my new XD40.

I did not know that NC is not a "stop and identify" state, which is a drastic difference for me since I'm used to NY laws. Good to know! :)

My main reason for asking was that I was a bit apprehensive to OC since there seems to be a good deal of "prejudice" out there regarding such a fundamental right, and that is just intensified since some LEO's (whom I have a great deal of respect for) seem to have issues with "civilians" being armed.

I can see more clearly now how OC can be a very sensitive political issue amongst the public. I just want to make sure that things go as smoothly as possible on a day to day basis.

Thanks again folks!

nobama

imported post

Never ever give up your rights just because some bed wetter (liberal) gets offended. This is why we have the people in office that we have.

Dreamer

imported post

ChiefJason is right, and I forgot to enumerate that point. A NC CHP stands in for the required "pistol purchase permit", so you can just show your CHP when you buy a firearm, and you don't have to go through the hassle of going to the Sheriff to get a PPP.

And although we don't have a "per month" limit on handgun purchase per se, many Sheriffs will only issue 5 PPP's per month. Having a CHP means you don't have to worry about that either.

The reasons FOR having a CHP are many (reciprocity in 30 states, legal carry in automobiles in state and out-of-state, facilitates smoother purchases, flexibility in carry mode and mode of dress while carrying). The reasons for NOT having one are few (infringement on the true meaning of the 2A, infringement on liberty, cost).

Ultimately it's your call, but I'd recommend EVERY gun-owner get a CHP (even if you never carry) if you can afford it. If for no other reason that it gives the state a more true figure on how people feel about carrying firearms for self-defense. The more permits they issue, the more they will realize the CC folks are not just a few lone wackos, but are in fact a MAJOR segment of the voting population.

That, and it makes the Brady CAmpaign look bad when a state has high CHP numbers, and relatively low homicide rates (when compared to the "victim disarmament zones of DA, CA and MD).

Corst01

imported post

Good points Dreamer. Didn't think about the "statistical" side of it but that certainly does matter.

As far as reciprocity goes, can I find that info on the NC DOJ site? Definitely something to be familiar with.

+100 to using the CCP to make purchases more easily while saving trips to the Sheriff's office! :)

Thanks again to everyone else who's replied. Good points all.

Cheers!

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
The main reason I have a NC CHP is for travel. I spend a lot of time driving, and with a CHP, I can keep my firearm in its holster on my hip while driving my vehicle, and still be legal in NC, WV, PA, and VA (and 26 other states!)

If you spend a lot of time in your car, or you travel to neighboring states frequently, I think that having a CHP is a good idea because it makes life a WHOLE lot simpler for people who carry.

I also have a PA LTCF. Although my NC permit is good in PA, I have a PA non-resident permit for those rare instances I may be in Philadelphia. I figure if I'm going to get hassled by an LEO anywhere in PA, it's Philly, so a PA LTCF will put an end to any issues before they happen, and I don't have to attempt to discuss the intricacies of PA/NC reciprocity with an LEO in the street...

I've never been approached by an LEO regarding OC. If I ever am (while on-foot), I don't see how the fact that I have a CHP is even relevent to the encounter, because 1) my guns' not concealed, therefore I have no duty to inform that I have either a permit or a firearm and 2) there is no requirement to be licensed to OC in NC.

If I'm asked for it, my plan is that I will ask if I am being detained, and if I am, I will ask to talk to a supervisor before handing over any ID. NC is NOT a "stop and identify" state, and the ONLY time a CHP-holder must "inform" is when he is carrying concealed. There is NO stipulation in NC Statute for a CHP holder to provide their permit card during OC-related encounters...

But it all depends on the demeanor of the particular LEO. My voluntary level of compliance is generally inversely proportional to their level of respect and politeness shown to me as a Law Abiding Citizen...
Well put. Nothing to add except that it is pretty easy to get the NC CHP and it has reciprocity in more than 30 states. Why wouldn't you have one?

Dreamer

imported post

Corst01 wrote:
Good points Dreamer. Didn't think about the "statistical" side of it but that certainly does matter.
It's time that we, as gun owners, and Carry activists/advocates start approaching this issue as the POLITICAL issue it is. We NEED to consider things like statistics, numbers of permits in circulation, etc. Every person who gets a new CHP is another "mark" in the pro-carry column, and serves to further discredit the anti's assertions that the general public doesn't want OC and CC. I think ANYONE who owns a handgun should get their CHP, even if they don't carry, because it boosts the numbers and discredits the anti's...

And the added advantages for travel, wardrobe versatility, and future purchases are worth every penny.

As far as reciprocity goes, can I find that info on the NC DOJ site? Definitely something to be familiar with.
We have reciprocity in 30 other states, including most of the Mid-Atlantic region (the glaringly obvious exceptions being MD, DC, NY and NJ)

Here is the official link to the NC DOJ website:

http://www.ncdoj.com/About-DOJ/Law-Enforcement-Training-and-Standards/Law-Enforcement-Liason/Concealed-Weapon-Reciprocity.aspx

And this page has more info, and a map of reciprocity, in case you're more "visually oriented":

http://www.usacarry.com/north_carolina_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

+100 to using the CCP to make purchases more easily while saving trips to the Sheriff's office! :)
Yes, I've used mine several times for purchases, and every time I buy a handgun, I realize that the time and money spent for my CHP was worth EVERY penny...

elixin77

imported post

I think having a CCW permit while OC'ing is a good idea anyways. Mostly because you learn a good deal of information about when you can use a lethal weapon for self defense.

When I took my CCW class (still don't have a permit though), I lucked out and had my class one on one with the instructor. I found it was very helpful, and I was able to ask whatever question came to mind.

Also as others have stated, having a CCW in place of a PPP must be very nice. Saves the trip to the sheriff's office when the impulse buy kicks in, which may or may not be a good thing, haha.

That and being able to carry under a jack during the winter is a good point too.