• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got rid of Kris Amundsen

fizzer

imported post

Delegate Scott A. Surovell says..."Open carried firearms are not allowed in Fairfax County's Parks."

Since when? Did I not get the memo.

25sierraman

imported post

He corrected himself now at the end of the article. i cant wait to register to vote here in va when i get my S1 clerk to switch my home of record to here.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

The part of his statement that would concern me is: "gun ownership privileges," language like this indicates the failure to understand a RIGHT, gun ownership is a constitutional right NOT a privilege.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
The part of his statement that would concern me is: "gun ownership privileges," language like this indicates the failure to understand a RIGHT, gun ownership is a constitutional right NOT a privilege.
I made that point in my comment to that post.

I've also written him as a constituent.

I'm waiting for him to do as Kris did -- Saturday open office hours. I'll visit.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nuc65 wrote:

There are a number of times when we get picky about the words that are used, and how the meaning of those words is preceived. This is one of those times.

Gun ownership is not a "constitutional right", as that phrasing means it is a right created by or granted under the aegis of the Constitution. Gun ownership is a unalienable right that is protected from infringement by the Congress by the Second Amendment of the Constitution. (Go learn the difference between "unalienable" and "inalienable"- there actually is a difference and it means a whole lot.)

For folks that are still a bit confused, I suggest you compare the right addressed in the Second Amendment to the rights addressed in the Civil Rights Act of 1968 - the right that exists as a consequence of being a free human being as opposed to therights created by Congress. The former is unalienable, while the latter can be rescinded by legislative fiat.

stay safe.

skidmark

nova

imported post

fizzer wrote:
Delegate Scott A. Surovell says..."Open carried firearms are not allowed in Fairfax County's Parks."

Since when? Did I not get the memo.
It's BS. FCPA and FCPD both know all legal forms of carry are protected since it falls under preemption.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

25sierraman wrote:
He corrected himself now at the end of the article. i cant wait to register to vote here in va when i get my S1 clerk to switch my home of record to here.

Your "home of record" does not change - it is a military term not useful beyond calculating your household goods delivery allowance when you ETS/PCS. Do ot use this term outside military circles for narrow purposes.

To be domiciled in a new state you simply say to yourself: "This is my state of legal residence now." Then you follow thru by creating indecia of this itent: DL, register to vote, etc.

Yes, registering to vote helps you defend your claim of domicile.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Surovell also voted against BOTH of the governor's amendments to gun bills.

OK, I can see a die-hard anti (after all, Surovell was once chairman of the Fairfax County Democratic Committee) thinking guns are more secure if locked (vice secured).

But to vote against eliminating a non-existent organization from a bill????? Looking forward to his blog post on THIS one. And framing a polite snail-mail letter; now that the vote is over, I have time to work on phrasing.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

skidmark wrote:
nuc65 wrote:

There are a number of times when we get picky about the words that are used, and how the meaning of those words is preceived. This is one of those times.

Gun ownership is not a "constitutional right", as that phrasing means it is a right created by or granted under the aegis of the Constitution. Gun ownership is a unalienable right that is protected from infringement by the Congress by the Second Amendment of the Constitution. (Go learn the difference between "unalienable" and "inalienable"- there actually is a difference and it means a whole lot.)

For folks that are still a bit confused, I suggest you compare the right addressed in the Second Amendment to the rights addressed in the Civil Rights Act of 1968 - the right that exists as a consequence of being a free human being as opposed to therights created by Congress. The former is unalienable, while the latter can be rescinded by legislative fiat.

stay safe.

skidmark
You really believe that a legislative fiat cannot interfere with the 'right' to carry/bear/own firearms? Tell the non-citizens of DC that the 2nd amendment is an unalienable right. Tell them that they will have fair representation at the federal level. I think that if it were an unalienable right then the need of lobby groups to 'protect' said unalienable right would not be necessary.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It often takes a few trips to the woodshed, or in this case the courtrooms, to get the message through.

Those that oppose us are at least as adamant as we are, which is why the repetitive trips become necessary. Come ask me your question again in about 10 years, which is how long I believe it will take for all the issues to be settled. Till then ...

stay safe.

skidmark