• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Campaign Puts on Three-Ring Publicity Circus

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

I just read this article and decided you all needed to read it. It demolishes the Brady Campaign and their ridiculous efforts. Enjoy!

Like a ringmaster trying to control a distracted audience's attention under the big top, the Brady Campaign recently tried to earn publicity with a trio of antics that insult the intelligence of even its most fervent supports.

In January, Brady let loose with a sour grapes tribute against President Barack Obama, giving him an "F" for "Failed Leadership" and accusing him of having "squandered his opportunity" to push for the laws the anti-gun group wants. These include prohibiting private sales of firearms, eliminating the Tiahrt Amendment that prohibits the misuse of BATFE firearm tracing data, stopping the steady march of Right-to Carry, prohibiting semi-automatic and pump-action firearms and prohibiting the possession of firearms by anyoneon the FBI's secretive and error ridden "terrorist watch list."

In February, after insulting its most powerful ally got little attention in the media, the Brady Campaign attacked the Starbucks coffee chain for allowing people to carry firearms within its stores as permitted be state law. The first two words of the petitionthat Brady urged its followers to sign - "I demand" - told coffee drinkers all they needed to know about the anti-gunner attitude toward business establishments that serve customers who choose to carry firearms for self-defense.

Since bad ideas apparently come in threes, just a few days later, the Brady Campaign released what is probably the most ridiculous of its longstanding annual "report cards" which "grade" the states based upon their gun control laws.

Most states have always received bad Brady "grades" because most states refuse to impose the kind of laws the group wants, but this year the anti-gunners outdid themselves.

The nation's murder rate has been cut in half since 1991, as gun control laws have been dismantled be Congress and state legislatures, and the number of guns, gun owners, Right-to-Carry states and carry permit holders have risen to all-time highs. However, Brady gave 48 states numerical grades that would translate into an "F" in any school in America.

California scored the highest grade for having the most gun control, even though its murder and violent crime rates are 10 to 13 percent higher, respectively, than the rates for the rest of the country.

Utah received the lowest grade because it had the fewest Brady-favored laws. Not surprisingly, Utah also has murder and violent crime rates 76 and 56 lower, respectively, than California's.

Okay. My only question is, how is Brady still "in business" with these facts? Not only are guns, and gun owners at a Historical High, murder and violent crime rates are half what they used to be. With that being said, the Brady Campaign should no longer have any pull. Their arguments have been proven wrong and they have proven that guns save lives.

Monkeytown

imported post

With the limited number of moves towards tougher gun control I think it's obvious they have no pull. There are still those losers that will fight for gun control in the mist ofa vast majority who oppose it. They are irrelevent these days and are headed down the road of obscurity. That being said, it still peaves me that people, or sheople, like this actually exist. It's like they are living in a vacuum and have no understanding of facts. Well that last statement applies to most of those on the left so I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks for sharing the article, it made for a good read.

MT

Hollowpoint38

imported post

MonkeyTown ~ If they no longer have any pull, why amI constantly hearing about their antics? Examples: Starbucks, their state "grades", gun control laws they try to pass, etc.

They don't seem to be completely ignored yet.

ON EDIT: Why do people like that try an force their beliefs down everyones throats, but all we want is for our rights to be left alone? We aren' trying to force others to carry.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
It's not about the firearms, religion, or any other "ism"; it's all about power. If you can force your beliefs, no matter how right or wrong, down someone else's throat, then you have gained power.

I know this sounds simplistic, but I can give you a non-firearm related example: In some states, especially here in the South, we have counties that are "dry" where you may not legally buy alcohol. The people who got those laws passed did so out of religious conviction and the fact that some of the deacons were also bootleggers!:celebrate
So in other words, they may not give a crap about guns, it's just another controversial way to gain power or another hidden agenda?

Deacon Blues

imported post

That's good stuff, HP. Unfortunately, it'll almost certainly be lost on anyone who reads it. There are two kinds of people in those organizations: those who are completely brainwashed, and those who are so drunk with power that they don't care what the truth is.

Despite all of the evidence to the contrary, these people continue to insist that guns are evil, the source of all violence and the motivator of crime. Why? I believe that, for most of them, it is not something they are taught to believe, or even something they want to believe. They need to believe it. Some people simply cannot accept that human beings - themselves, even - possess the capacity for hatred, violence, and ultimately the murder of their fellow men. The psyche reaches out for something, anything on which to displace its dark nature. Conveniently, our culture offers up a device for just that purpose: the gun. Hollywood has placed, deep in our collective unconscious, endless images of death, destruction, and horror - all caused by guns. When presented with this ready scapegoat, their minds are unable to resist. A nemesis is born.

These people will never give up, because they're not fighting for anything so trivial as peace, or safety, or their children's future. They fight to keep their worlds from unraveling, to keep the dark side of human nature at a safe distance, and to keep their hands forever clean. They will stop at nothing, sure in the conviction that without these amulets of evil, no human hand will ever be raised against another.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
SNIP Think about this: If you can control even a small part of other folks' lives, you have acquired some amount of power over that group. If you allow someone, for whatever reason, to dictate the way you live, you have ceded a certain amount of power to that person.
I recently came across a quote by a Founder (John Adams?).The gist wassomething like this.

Throughout history there have been men of good intentions who sought to govern. But, they meant to govern. Many promised to be good masters; but they meant to be masters.

dixieborn

imported post

Thanks for the work of typing all that up HollowPoint! Great article...

On other points, I think even the subconscious impressions and what not that we receive from places like Hollywood are part of the learning that people undertake sometimes unintentionally. There is a very active and purposeful aim in our country to attack our culture, and rewrite our history. We see this by people walking all over the founding fathers' intentions from the 2nd amendment, to this "separation of church and state," etc, etc...

We underestimate how important the role of history is at informing what we believe about the present. Facts like those presented in the article don't matter if someone has deep seated beliefs based upon what they think was true from the past. (i.e. movies define how guns have 'always been used' in the past, bad textbooks falsely describe the founding fathers' 'intentions', etc)

But hey, I'll stop bothering y'all with my rant. Thanks again for the article!

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I've got a friend who likes to say "There is no rationalizing with a perpetual victim. You either succumb to the truth as they see it, or you are the enemy."

It seems to explain the Brady Bunch mentality, too.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

Deacon Blues wrote:
That's good stuff, HP. Unfortunately, it'll almost certainly be lost on anyone who reads it. There are two kinds of people in those organizations: those who are completely brainwashed, and those who are so drunk with power that they don't care what the truth is.

Despite all of the evidence to the contrary, these people continue to insist that guns are evil, the source of all violence and the motivator of crime. Why? I believe that, for most of them, it is not something they are taught to believe, or even something they want to believe. They need to believe it. Some people simply cannot accept that human beings - themselves, even - possess the capacity for hatred, violence, and ultimately the murder of their fellow men. The psyche reaches out for something, anything on which to displace its dark nature. Conveniently, our culture offers up a device for just that purpose: the gun. Hollywood has placed, deep in our collective unconscious, endless images of death, destruction, and horror - all caused by guns. When presented with this ready scapegoat, their minds are unable to resist. A nemesis is born.

These people will never give up, because they're not fighting for anything so trivial as peace, or safety, or their children's future. They fight to keep their worlds from unraveling, to keep the dark side of human nature at a safe distance, and to keep their hands forever clean. They will stop at nothing, sure in the conviction that without these amulets of evil, no human hand will ever be raised against another.
Now I like that. This is one of the best reasons I've read about the Brady Cam. I can read this and get a full understanding of the "brady brain". Thanx for the in depth detail!

Hollowpoint38

imported post

dixieborn wrote:
Thanks for the work of typing all that up HollowPoint! Great article...

On other points, I think even the subconscious impressions and what not that we receive from places like Hollywood are part of the learning that people undertake sometimes unintentionally. There is a very active and purposeful aim in our country to attack our culture, and rewrite our history. We see this by people walking all over the founding fathers' intentions from the 2nd amendment, to this "separation of church and state," etc, etc...

We underestimate how important the role of history is at informing what we believe about the present. Facts like those presented in the article don't matter if someone has deep seated beliefs based upon what they think was true from the past. (i.e. movies define how guns have 'always been used' in the past, bad textbooks falsely describe the founding fathers' 'intentions', etc)

But hey, I'll stop bothering y'all with my rant. Thanks again for the article!
Very good point (in red), but maybe it's not always "true from the past". I could just be, they don't or never liked guns and want to get rid of them. Maybe a family or friend commited suicide with a gun and they blamed guns and now wish to ban guns as a way to "make themselves feel better". I don't know. Maybe everything together. Thanx for reading the article! 45 minutes of typing.

dixieborn

imported post

That's true, I think you're right. There are myriad things that affect our beliefs, impressions, opinions on topics and who knows what circumstances drove these people to their beliefs. It's just sad that whatever drove them there, and whatever situation they may be in, that they have chosen to ignore fact and truth when it doesn't conveniently match up with their point of view.

45 minutes! Ouch! That's a lot of typing... thanks again for the insight!

AL Ranger

imported post

Let's face it! Hoplophobes like the Brady Campaign and their ilk suffer from a disease called "Mental Dyslexia" which cause a person to think backwards.

Taxes are investments, guns are evil, criminals are simply misguided andtrodden down by society, government schools could properly educate your children if you'd just give them enough tax money, government can spend all they want because they can print the money, in case of rape just try to enjoy it and get a description for the police afterwards...yadda, yadda, yadda!

Hollowpoint38

imported post

AL Ranger wrote:
Let's face it! Hoplophobes like the Brady Campaign and their ilk suffer from a disease called "Mental Dyslexia" which cause a person to think backwards.

Taxes are investments, guns are evil, criminals are simply misguided andtrodden down by society, government schools could properly educate your children if you'd just give them enough tax money, government can spend all they want because they can print the money, in case of rape just try to enjoy it and get a description for the police afterwards...yadda, yadda, yadda!
!!!!!BOOM!!!!! You just nailed them! Thanks for the insight!