Thread: Open carry

Post imported post

I open carry most of the time but i do choose to conceal carry sometimes. If i conceal carry and get made out is there any laws that can get me in trouble?

Post imported post

Hello. I'm assuming that you have an Ohio license to carry a concealed handgun, orequivalent license from another state that is recognized by Ohio, correct? If so you may carry concealed or openly pretty much as you see fit, given that you follow the law in regards to places where carry is not allowed.

If you DON'T have a concealed carry license you must limit yourself to carrying openly.

Post imported post

Yeah I have an OHIO permit. I was just wondering about that. I was talking to some people from other states they said they can get in trouble if you see or tell if they were carrying. They were helping with advice an incident i had at Krogers in Wilmington OHIO while open carrying.

Post imported post

Okay, just double-checking on my assumption. In Ohio there is no legal requirement with regards to keeping the firearm(s) concealed at all times, that's not the case in certain other states, as you are aware.

Some folks (including a small percentage of law enforcement types) erroneously seem to view things differently. Over at Ohioans For Concealed Carry--another great site for info--there is currently a large scale effort underway to educate LEO's, prosecutors, etc. on these matters. [Personal gripe and rant] Our state Attorney General's office should have taken care of all this many moons ago, but their efforts have been sadly lacking. [/Personal gripe and rant]

Post imported post

Welcome! Brian is correct, if you are legally carrying concealed there is no requirement that you make any attempt to "hide" your gun.

Post imported post

I did't think that i have read anything like that. I was just making sure.

Thanks,
    ahudson

Post imported post

so because I have my concealed carry I can carry open at times in Ohio? Because sometimes I like to wear my blachawk serpa holster when I go to my local range Target World but find it hard to conceal especially in the summer.. so for those trips legally I'm ok?

Jerry

Post imported post

jlctele56 wrote:
    so because I have my concealed carry I can carry open at times in Ohio?* Because sometimes I like to wear my blachawk serpa holster when I go to my local range Target World but find it hard to conceal especially in the summer.. so for those trips legally I'm ok?
    Yes, you are legal in any condition from completely open to completely concealed if you have your CHL. ORC 9.68 overrides any local ordinances banning open carry of a firearm.

Post imported post

thank you theqbn. I did not know that.. in my ccw class the instructor said we were not, and that a bulge under your shirt is ok, but must be concealed?

Jerry

Post imported post

jlctele56 wrote:
    thank you theqbn. I did not know that.. in my ccw class the instructor said we were not, and that a bulge under your shirt is ok, but must be concealed?
    Does he perhaps teach classes for the Florida license? In states like Florida and Texas his statement would be true...

Post imported post

Yes he does.. tried to get me to get a florida permit also.. so thats why.. ? but i Am ok to do it? sorry just want to make sure I dont screw up.. thank you so much for the info..

Jerry

Post imported post

Yep, you're fine in Ohio to carry as openly or as concealed as you desire. Even without a CHL you would still be legal to carry openly as long as you weren't in/on a motor vehicle.

By the way your instructor should have provided you (by law!) with a copy of the Ohio Attorney General's book on CC, which states that open carry is legal in Ohio... so he really should know better. It's frustrating when the instructors are misinforming entire classes of new carriers.

Post imported post

so when I get in my car for the drive there, a must still cover it with my shirt, or conceal it? but when I get out.. open is ok..? what about its always loaded? does that matter?

Post imported post

The law in Ohio considers any loaded handgun in a motor vehicle "concealed" and requires a license... you could have the gun glued to the windshield and you would still need the CHL to transport. There is no requirement of visibility or concealment as long as the gun is in a holster on your person. (There used to be a requirement that the gun be visible when in the car, even though the CHL was required - called the "buckeye tuck". This was removed and no longer applies.) There are some stupid rules when the gun is in a case.

You may want to check out the resources linked here: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12717

Here are the AG publications related to concealed carry: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...y-Publications

You may also want to ask your questions on the OFCC forums (ohioccwforums.org). They have the experts on Ohio CC law. Not that I don't mind helping out, but you should never rely on one guy's word when the law is involved - not even mine!
    :celebrate

Post imported post

thank you so much.. Im with you. I think I do recall him mentioning that it was legal for open carry, but did not think we should because we were just asking for trouble.. I bet the cops here in Hamilton would freak.. but maybe not.. again thanks for the info.